Britain's fattest teenager regains 16st (224lbs) in 16 months...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Emma

I'm not so sure that she needed more "help" on her return to the UK, insofar as if she had been in charge of her own budget and food choices, she might've been ok?

What she obviously didn't need was active hindrance from someone (her mother) controlling her food choices and refusing to buy anything other than quick-to-fix junk food.
You don't know if that is true though. I've seen an updated peice today where her mother has said she has been cooking quite a lot with chicken and turkey and her daughter sneaks out to eat with her friends and is very secretive about sneaking food.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3425526/The-battle-to-save-quarter-ton-teen.html

So we don't know which one is telling the truth. The mother who is the adult, or the girl who could be making excuses. Either way, no one gains 22 stone in a year just by eating fish and chips or a few take aways. So even if this girls mother isn't always providing healthy meals I doubt shes forcing her to eat that much food.

KittyKitten

Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy
I think the fact remains that behavior modification alone cannot help Georgia, because she clearly has other issues underlying her weight gain. This is a great problem when people are trying to "help" you change your habits . . .

Habits are hard to break, because in some ways, they were formed out of necessity and persistance over time. Perhaps she would have gotten more "help" from people that wanted to help her carry the immense burden of being a care giver to the sick family members in her life. I mean, being a care giver at 10 is a huge responsibility, and she has lost out on some of her childhood experiences because of it.

So really, the weight is a physical manifestation of her internal struggle with loving her family members, who are sick, but at the same time, given the amount of care they need, she is imprisoned by her life and circumstances. That would be a more important thing to address in her life than weight, in my opinion.
This is the most accurate post that I have ever seen. Habits are extremely hard to break. If she gained more than 200 lbs within a year and a half, then some thing is going on with her. That is a lot of weight gain in less than two years! There is an underlying issue that has to be examined. I tend to overeat when I am stressed or something is bothering me.

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
You don't know if that is true though. I've seen an updated peice today where her mother has said she has been cooking quite a lot with chicken and turkey and her daughter sneaks out to eat with her friends and is very secretive about sneaking food.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3425526/The-battle-to-save-quarter-ton-teen.html

So we don't know which one is telling the truth. The mother who is the adult, or the girl who could be making excuses. Either way, no one gains 22 stone in a year just by eating fish and chips or a few take aways. So even if this girls mother isn't always providing healthy meals I doubt shes forcing her to eat that much food.
Yeah, you're right Em, we've no way of knowing what's really going on.

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
Yeah, you're right Em, we've no way of knowing what's really going on.
I do agree up to a point, but I think its seriously shortsighted that people are focusing on the symptoms and not the cause. Someone needs to get to the bottom of why the weight has come back and then, once that is known, a strategy can be planned.

Ideally the 'someone' will be Georgia herself, and she can decide if the weight is back because she's unhappy, or stressed or maybe just because she is happy being fat. The strategy might be tackling her depression, helping her deal with stress or Georgia learning to live a happy and fulfilled Supersize life at a weight that she deems acceptable, free from outside influences.

The problem with that is, of course, lots of people with an axe to grind, a paper to shift or a diet regime to sell dont believe that its possible to lead a productive life when you're heavy and so they will continue to focus on what the scales say instead of getting to the bottom of what Georgia wants.

Tracey xx

Piink

I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic but at 17 she is old enough to make her own choices. I was living alone by that point.
Maybe so, but sometimes you can't. I have two disabled parents. My dad has been disabled since I was a young child*. My **mother wasn't very far behind. It isn't easy and when you have to care for others besides yourself. . I also had to make sacrifices as well. Which included my eating habits. I had to learn a lot very quickly. Quick meals where the way to go. I needed something I could fix and walk away from to continue other things.

My mother (G-d bless her soul) is now in her late 70's and has dementia. I can't involve myself to much into things as every 20 minutes I have to calm her down and figure out why she is freaking out/destroying her room/etc.

It's hard for someone, especially for someone young. I have been doing it since I was 15. I'm now 21 and it has only gotten harder.

*He was born with a birth defect and wasn't supposed to live. He is now 66 and still pushing. But, when I was 4 (He was 45) he fell and broke his back in half. This is where I consider his disability starting.

**My mother is not my birth mother. She was married to my dad when he had an affair with my bio mother.

grubnboy

wasn't there a story about her sometime back where she was saying she was happier being fat?

if i'm not mistaken it showed up sometime after she lost the weight in the US, and sometime before this story showed up.

really, if she was at the camp in the US, eating normal amounts of food (i'm sure they monitored her intake), and then returns home and within a year regains 225 lbs, that's a pretty clear indicator that it's due to her intake. her mother may be getting junkfood and such, but it's up to her what she puts away.

that's something to the tune of 787,500 extra calories over the course of 16 months. that's over 49,000 extra calories a month or 1650 extra calories a day.

given that her weight was around 300, and the body tends to burn about 15 calories per pound, per day, that would average out to 4500 calories a day to maintain her weight, plus the 1650 extra per day, it would put her intake somewhere around 5000-6000 calories a day.

now we all know that people's bodies are different and that some people have a lower metabolism, the math maybe a little fuzzy, but probably isn't completely off.

i would say that since returning home she's been eating around 5000-6000 calories a day. junkfood or not, you're going to gain weight eating like that.

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
that's a pretty clear indicator that it's due to her intake. her mother may be getting junkfood and such, but it's up to her what she puts away.
With all due respect, if the weight gain is due to emotional factors then it might not be that simple as your dismissive comment about 'what she puts away.' There are plenty of people here who struggle with over-eating as an emotional response to stress who can testify to the fact that eating disorders and food addictions are very real and very difficult to live with and manage - and that they are even harder to overcome.

I'm not suggesting that Georgia (or any other fat person) automatically has an eating disorder and I fully accept that its possible to just love food and to be happy fat, but again I can only say that the focus on the numbers of the scales is utterly pointless in this case. Pages of calculation and speculation about how many extra calories she might or might not be eating doesnt tell us anything about the reasons why she is gaining weight.

The best 'treatment' for Georgia might be a diet, or some psychotherapy, or some help to develop a career path outside of the home, or access to further education, or a change of address, or for the media to clear off and leave her alone in privacy. Any number of things might help but all the time we only look at the symptoms and not the cause we run the risk of missing the point.

Tracey xx

grubnboy

i never meant to imply that it's just simple over-eating. i understand she could have any number of things going on, eating disorder, emotional issues, etc. in fact it would be pretty hard for someone who didn't have some driving force to eat that much.

but her over eating is a symptom of the problem, and if you gained 225lbs in 16 months, that's a pretty big symptom, so it stands to reason, a pretty big problem.

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
wasn't there a story about her sometime back where she was saying she was happier being fat?

if i'm not mistaken it showed up sometime after she lost the weight in the US, and sometime before this story showed up.
*snip*
I believe you're thinking of a different girl, who was previously "graced" by the tabloids' superlative nomination. That girl had WLS. There was a thread about it on the WLS board.

LalaCity

i never meant to imply that it's just simple over-eating. i understand she could have any number of things going on, eating disorder, emotional issues, etc. in fact it would be pretty hard for someone who didn't have some driving force to eat that much.

but her over eating is a symptom of the problem, and if you gained 225lbs in 16 months, that's a pretty big symptom, so it stands to reason, a pretty big problem.
I don't really think it is that hard to get in that number of calories per day -- I know I could do it if I simply indulged in all the cheap junk food I like without assiduously counting the calories (and many people aren't even aware of the high calorie counts of most fast food, etc.), and without stuffing my face all day, but in just three or four largish meals.

I work hard at keeping my weight in check, counting calories, etc. -- and I'm still fat.

grubnboy

I believe you're thinking of a different girl, who was previously "graced" by the tabloids' superlative nomination. That girl had WLS. There was a thread about it on the WLS board.
oh yeah, i think you're right.

yeah i mean, my point was just that it's not something you don't know you're doing. you know if you're back in old ways and such. the problems that girl has are her own. i wasn't trying to judge or anything. i only wanted to point out that if a person is gaining that kind of weight in that amount of time, it's going to be because of intake.

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
An update on Georgia:

There's a video of an interview with her here, where she talks about why she chose to remain in Wales (to take a course in child-care), rather than return to the US "fat camp" for a second time.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/video/lifestyle/health/3304197/Fattest-teen-in-relapse.html

And an update here, in the Daily Heil, which talks about Georgia's family life - which seems to effectively keep her stuck in a rut, in many ways. As of Feb. she was up to 40st (560lbs).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1360704/Georgia-Davis-17-Britains-fattest-teen-LOSING-14-stone-fat-camp.html

Although Georgia is unhappy and is struggling with her circumstances, she still seems to be in a better state, with potential to change, than Malissa Jones, who was Britain's former "fattest teen" who is now literally at death's door with anorexia, following WLS (see thread on WLS board). It was Malissa that grubnboy was referring to, above.

swinglifeaway

Sad story,

This is a case where people can't see that stress levels can play a dominating role in weight gain, and Georgia definitely has far more than a girl her age should have to deal with. Man I hate tabloids :mad:

bmann0413

PLAYER ONE READY! START!
Man, it sounds like her life was just a downward spiral since her dad died. I'm glad to hear that she didn't commit the suicide. I sure hope she finds the help and, at the very least, gets down to a healthier weight so that she can feel a little happier.

Maybe there's something we Dimmers could do to help her out?

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
Georgia seems to be struggling with not having had one truly capable adult in her life, since her father died when she was young. Which seems to be a key issue in her depression. A lot of people self medicate, Georgia seems to be doing so with food, other kids might've turned to drink or drugs...

I think it's very telling that when she was away from home in a supportive environment, away from being the carer for her family, she was a lot happier.

Maybe now she's moving out, things will pick up for her.

Qit el-Remel

Geek and FFA
What I have to say has already pretty much been covered here. But here goes, anyway:

There are all sorts of cries for help here that don't seem to be getting heeded. Yes, the fact that she's overeating is an issue, but it's only one issue among many and shouldn't be the sole focus.

LaurieFA

Here is the latest news (not good).

A teenager thought to weigh more than 50st had to be cut free from her home by emergency services because she was too big to leave the house.

A team of least 40 people were called to a house in Aberdare in south Wales after the 19-year-old became unwell.

The woman is reported to be Georgia Davis who was once dubbed Britain's fattest teen.

It is believed care workers, doctors, paramedics, fire crews, council workers and a team of scaffolders spent more than eight hours trying to safely remove her from the terraced house in Heol Y Mynydd.

A spokesman for The Welsh Ambulance Service confirmed it had used a specially reinforced ambulance used for obese patients, known as a "bariatric ambulance", in the incident.

In 2008, Miss Davis, then a 33-stone pupil at Aberdare Girls School, was sent to a US health farm to undergo a strict diet.

Following a nine-month effort, her weight dropped to 18 stone.

Shortly before her trip to the health farm, she said: "If you get to the point where I was, you can't stop eating. It is (an addiction) like heroin. You need help."

bigjayne66

Belly Queen
Another story says Georgia has gained 250lbs in a year and is over 850lbs (60st)
Sadly ,that makes her almost certainly the world's biggest teen ever.
I am going to have to make great efforts to peg my weight below 500,I don't want to be humiliated like poor Georgia has been:(

fiddypence

Fast Feedist
To gain that much weight in such a short amount of time must be the result of severely disordered eating. The fact that she was too big to leave the house means that someone must have been helping her get food, what are they thinking? If she were an alcoholic you wouldn't just keep buying her alcohol.

It's so so sad, but I honestly can't understand how people around her allowed this to happen.