Chat style stories

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Archangel

Winged Author
Hey all,

Just wondering what your experience is with chat based stories. What's the best formatting you've seen done? I'm a little worried about switching stream of consciousness from one character to another rapidly and if that throws off a reader so I'm wondering how you've seen others do it, and if it was effective.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thank you.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Just my personal opinion, but I find chat style stories incredibly challenging to write .... and to read by the way. It works only for short stories or maybe comedies. Or maybe as interspersed chapters between a story told with changing perspectives.

The main reason: Overly long dialogue is tedious to read - think of having to read plays at school. There also is a lot of content - atmosphere, setting, how characters look & feel - which will sound artificial and forced if you try to pack it into a dialogue format.

Maybe someone else has a different opinion and knows of some techniques on how to handle this better.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I seem to recall reading one quite short story that worked out OK using that format, and giving up on a few others that were longer.

I suspect that like with a play, the key is to leave as much out as possible, giving the reader just enough points to join together into their own picture. Not a full painting, not even a line drawing, more like a constellation with a few nudges towards how the author thinks it should be interpreted.

Latest posts