Quantcast

Costume ideas for big women

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Flutterby68

My Cups Runneth Over
I'm 5'9" and about 275 lbs, which is a size 22 for the most part.

I go to local science fiction/fantasy conventions and costuming is a big part of those things. I'd LOVE to be able to create a steampunk costume, but finding the right items in my size is very difficult! One persona I've come up with is an 1890s saloon owner and madam in San Francisco. I can find the proper costumes all over the place, but they don't come in any sizes bigger than a standard large! What, fat women don't want to dress up?? obviously, they have NEVER met me!

I did manage to find renaissance costuming easily enough for renfaire but the more modern costumes are very difficult and when I DO find them, they are very cheaply made AND very expensive. I can't sew, so that's not an option.

Anybody know of sites that cater to larger size costumes that actually look good and are priced reasonably?

Teleute

Heh heh. "Member".
Hmmm... well, for starters, a lot of Renfaire clothing can be made to look very steampunk with just a few modifications and accessories, so you might not have to actually purchase a whole lot. If you do want a whole new outfit, though, you should check out some of the custom-made stuff on etsy, such as Voodoo Lounge, the Dark Thoughts overskirt from gothiquefleamarket, and there are some gorgeous steampunk-styled items at PSB creations and DivaDivine777.

Also take a look at Mad Art Jewelry and Steam Society for goggles, hats, jewelry, and other accessories which can totally transform outfits you already have. Good luck finding stuff!

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
For authentic period costumes I'd recommend the Amazon Drygoods website. they sell reproduction clothing, but I'm not sure how large their sizes go. However, they also sell patterns and materials: although you may not sew, plenty of people do, and some of them are not averse to making a little extra money. My wife had a sewing business (she specialized in elegant larger-size outfits)when we first got married, and she was sometimes called on to sew period costumes: help may be nearer than you think!

Ocean

Sorry I can't offer any sites/advice, but Teleute, thank you so much for those links! I've been trying to find a pair of simple goggles forever, and I've found just what I need.

Latest posts