Damn, looked like I missed a lot of drama.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
Lucky me, eh?

But considering the ridiculousness of the boards lately, here's something completely unrelated!!

I drove to Ohio over the weekend to pick up an abandoned puppy. 12 hours there... 10 hours back. Mmmm, 22 hours of driving within a period of 2 days.

Here's something funny... every state I drove through had a specific attitude of drivers, and it was interesting. Like... when I got into NY, most everyone was driving like an asshole (tailgating the car in front of them at 80mph and weaving through the lanes of traffic to get ahead) and in Ohio... everyone was driving ridiculously below the speed limit. On 1-90 the speed limit was 65, and most people were going about 50. Of course I'm a Bostonian, so I was averaging about 80/90.

And another thing... there were like no cops on the road in Ohio. None. Although there were a lot of cars turned over in the median (there was a snow storm and some people weren't so lucky). But no cops.
In Massachusetts... there are cops all over the place on the highway. Like... if I take a 20 minute drive on I-95 in MA, I'll see at the very least 5 cops laying in wait to meet their ticket quotas by pulling people over. But after driving like 8 hours through NY, PA, and OH... I barely even saw 2 cops. I guess the cops in those states have better things to do than lay in wait for law abiding citizens going 10 above the speed limit.

And another thing... Ohio cars weren't covered in lame bumper stickers. Like when you enter MA (especially the Boston area) everyone has bumper stickers on their cars expressing their views (as if anyone cares, right?). But Ohio drivers didn't. And people were a lot friendlier in OH. Instead of getting doors slammed in my face and snooty glares, people were actually civil. Very unlike Boston.

And about the puppy: He's a black lab mix, and only 7 weeks old. But the poor baby has worms... and I've had to wait all weekend with a dog who has worms to take him to the vet. Damn vets for not being open on the weekends!!! Especially since I have three other dogs, and now my other dogs might have the worms from the puppy. So yeah... wish me luck at the vet today, that they don't rob me blind.

<3

kinkykitten

FFA-Property of Von_Pudge
Ah drama, drama... In abundance. Thank you for bringing back some off topic sanity to the boards! :rolleyes:

Haha.. It's crazy how the attitudes of the drivers changed so vastly from state to state. Bet you had to keep re-adapting lol.

Awww that is so cute!!! :D Hope the little one is doing well, I know you will give him a good home :) Kudos on taking in the pup too. People often overlook abandoned dogs, nobody wanted my baby before I saved him. (I say baby, he is almost 5 and as he is a staffy, he is pretty much solid, heavy muscle lol)

Anyway.. All the best hope the vets fees aren't *too* crippling. I feel for ya!

:bow:

Carl1h

figure O
Lucky me, eh?

in Ohio... everyone was driving ridiculously below the speed limit. On 1-90 the speed limit was 65, and most people were going about 50. Of course I'm a Bostonian, so I was averaging about 80/90.

And another thing... there were like no cops on the road in Ohio. None. Although there were a lot of cars turned over in the median (there was a snow storm and some people weren't so lucky).
All those cars turned over in the median were a reminder to other drivers to, as a nice cop in Colorado put it, "Drive no faster than the speed you want to slide into the median at." That probably had something to do with why people were driving 50, and was a clue that you should have been doing the same. :doh:

What drama.i don't know what your talking about..fill me in.. i am a nosey parker.

anywhoo...good luck with your new baby.

cammy

bellyphile
Black lab mix...I bet he's a super cutie!

And driving...OMG! there's no words to describe Florida.

Esther

Queen Black Acid
I have a black lab mix too! What sort of a mix is involved?
I find her much, much more obedient and mellow than any other dog I've had.

Canonista

Rep Dealer
Here's something funny... every state I drove through had a specific attitude of drivers, and it was interesting. Like... when I got into NY, most everyone was driving like an asshole (tailgating the car in front of them at 80mph and weaving through the lanes of traffic to get ahead) and in Ohio... everyone was driving ridiculously below the speed limit. On 1-90 the speed limit was 65, and most people were going about 50. Of course I'm a Bostonian, so I was averaging about 80/90.

As a taxi driver I see the kind of "hurry up and wait" driving you're talking about. It's funny to see these guys try to drive in city traffic. The lights are generally timed so that if you're moving along at a certain rate you keep movig steadily. If you go too fast, you start getting ahead of the cycle and hitting red lights.

I've had guys inches from my back bumper, screaming at me through their windshields then flip me the bird as they fly by me, only to have me sitting next to them at the next red light. And the one after that when they repeat their behavior with the next guy who gets in front of them. Then the one after that....

Generall speaking, lane jockeying doesn't produce the desired resuts. I used to be one of the worst at it, but I learned that it wears out the car faster, burns more gas, and doesn't save time. I'm still not an advocate for slow driving (where's my American autobahn!) but driving far faster than the average rarely works as planned.

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
All those cars turned over in the median were a reminder to other drivers to, as a nice cop in Colorado put it, "Drive no faster than the speed you want to slide into the median at." That probably had something to do with why people were driving 50, and was a clue that you should have been doing the same. :doh:

Alrighty.... but my point was that people drive at different speeds in different states despite weather conditions. (Although I wasn't even making a point, moreso just explaining my weekend.) :rolleyes:
In Ohio it wasn't snowing and people were going 50mph... whereas in Massachusetts later that night... it was snowing and people were blowing past me going 100/110mph. And OH was straight lines of highway, where MA is full of hills and twists.
And yet... there were no cars in the median in MA, but tons in OH.

It was just an observation, I wasn't fishing for a reprimand, considering as I have never been pulled over and have never gotten into an accident... and I've been driving for the past... oh... 4 years? (I know in the scheme of things that's not too long, but hey, I'm 19... well... 20 in a month).

Another thing I noticed is that in NY and OH the left lane was reserved for passing people in the right lane. Whereas in MA... the left lane is just the fast lane. It was a pretty significant difference. It's like in MA, the left lane is the express lane, whereas in those other states it's the passing lane. It changed the whole dynamic of the highway.

And there were no Mobil/Exxon gas stations on the highway in NY, PA, and OH. Which was pretty lame for me, considering as I have a Mobil/Exxon card. So whenever I needed gas in those states, I had to use my regular debit card. It's a lot easier to have a card specifically for gas, and driving through those states messed that up. Haha. I'm picky.

And I'm rambling.

cammy

bellyphile
In Florida -

The Right Lane is for anyone who thinks they might be turning/exiting right within the next 500 or so miles, the Left Lane is for anyone who thinks they might be turning/exiting left within the next 500 or so miles, and the Center Lane is for those who don't have a clue where they're headed.

Oh, and trucks ride in all lanes regardless of how many wheels, grade or speed.

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
As a taxi driver I see the kind of "hurry up and wait" driving you're talking about. It's funny to see these guys try to drive in city traffic. The lights are generally timed so that if you're moving along at a certain rate you keep movig steadily. If you go too fast, you start getting ahead of the cycle and hitting red lights.

I've had guys inches from my back bumper, screaming at me through their windshields then flip me the bird as they fly by me, only to have me sitting next to them at the next red light. And the one after that when they repeat their behavior with the next guy who gets in front of them. Then the one after that....

Generall speaking, lane jockeying doesn't produce the desired resuts. I used to be one of the worst at it, but I learned that it wears out the car faster, burns more gas, and doesn't save time. I'm still not an advocate for slow driving (where's my American autobahn!) but driving far faster than the average rarely works as planned.

Hahah, I know, those drivers are kinda funny too. I have a photographic memory, so I remember every car that passes me and every car that I pass (especially when you're driving with the same group of cars for a few hours). And there is always that one car (usually a chromed out ghetto-ass truck) that speeds past you in the left lane, then has to slam on their brakes when they come up on someone going slower, and you just glide past them again. Usually they get pissed cuz they notice that the cars they just passed are now passing them, and they try even harder again to get ahead.

It's so hilarious because they get so frustrated and yet don't get ahead any more than they would if they just drove calmly.

I totally have road rage too, but in the timidest way. I get so irritated at drivers (on the inside) because practically no one can drive well (especially in the Boston suburbs). You have people who cut everyone off in the right turn only lane to go straight, and sometimes you get the people cutting off the straight lane to take a left. You have people who accelerate into the "turn only" lane in the middle just to pass other cars, and those who selectively choose to stop at stop signs (which implies that they also selectively choose to not stop, as well). You have the people who honk and tailgate you, even when you're already going above the speed limit. And the thing that bugs me the most... is the cops are NEVER there. I've seen some awful driving (going the wrong way down a one way street, purposely going through red lights, blocking streets during traffic) and yet the cops are never there to do their job when people are driving horrifically.

Ahh the silliness of the roads.

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
I have a black lab mix too! What sort of a mix is involved?
I find her much, much more obedient and mellow than any other dog I've had.
I have no idea what he's mixed with. But he's 7 weeks old, and already bigger than my other three dogs. I have a Westie, a Cairn, and Pomeranian Schanuzer mutt.
And yeah, compared to the terriers and the pomeranian-mutt, this lab is just so chill. My other dogs are so high strung and just like... quirky, whereas the lab is so well behaved (despite the fact that he's not housebroken yet). But hey, he figured out the doggie door in a few hours... whereas my other dogs took a few days/weeks to figure it out.

mediaboy

Have you ever taken a train across states? Its one of the most enjoyable ways of traveling I've ever experienced. Trains are actually relaxing and if you shell out the extra seventy dollars for a first class ticket you can go to the dining car and drink all the alcohol you can get your hands on.

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
In Florida -

The Right Lane is for anyone who thinks they might be turning/exiting right within the next 500 or so miles, the Left Lane is for anyone who thinks they might be turning/exiting left within the next 500 or so miles, and the Center Lane is for those who don't have a clue where they're headed.

Oh, and trucks ride in all lanes regardless of how many wheels, grade or speed.
Haha, damn, sounds like a fun place to drive *sarcasm*. xP

Yeah MA barely has any left exits, just merges onto other highways. All the exits are to the right.

I also expected the trucks to stay to the right, since in MA, trucks aren't allowed in the left lanes. But when I entered NY, PA, & OH, the trucks went in whichever lane they felt like. It got a little irritating when there were two trucks riding parallel to each other on a two lane highway, blocking all the cars behind them. But that didn't happen too often.

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
Have you ever taken a train across states? Its one of the most enjoyable ways of traveling I've ever experienced. Trains are actually relaxing and if you shell out the extra seventy dollars for a first class ticket you can go to the dining car and drink all the alcohol you can get your hands on.
Haha, well I was going to pick up a dog, and I dunno of a train which would allow an untrained puppy with worms on it. Well, I could have probably put him in a crate somewhere on the train, but that's mean.
And I can't stand public transportation for some reason. I mean when I was young, I had no choice, and would have to take the train into Boston. But now, I'll drive and go through the risk of not being able to find a parking spot, I hate public transportation that much.

And I'm not 21, can't drink in public yet. It's pretty irritating, especially since all of my friends are over 21. *sigh* I only have a little more than one year left!

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
Ah drama, drama... In abundance. Thank you for bringing back some off topic sanity to the boards! :rolleyes:

Haha.. It's crazy how the attitudes of the drivers changed so vastly from state to state. Bet you had to keep re-adapting lol.

Awww that is so cute!!! :D Hope the little one is doing well, I know you will give him a good home :) Kudos on taking in the pup too. People often overlook abandoned dogs, nobody wanted my baby before I saved him. (I say baby, he is almost 5 and as he is a staffy, he is pretty much solid, heavy muscle lol)

Anyway.. All the best hope the vets fees aren't *too* crippling. I feel for ya!

:bow:
Hehe, doggies are always babies, no matter how old. :happy:

I got back from the vet, and it was only about $113, so not too bad. But the poor guy will still have the worms for a few more weeks, since I can only give him the medicine once a week.
Luckily, my other dogs are on Heartguard (for heartworms) and apparently that also protects them against digestive worms, so they probably wont get the worms from the puppy.

I'm totally gonna post a picture in a little while. I wanna get a picture of all four dogs, cuz this dog is so different from the others. The other three are white/light beige, and the new dog is black. The other three are small breeds, and the new dog is a Labrador mix. The one thing the nurses and vets kept saying when they were fawning over him was, "he's gonna get so big!" So it's gonna be hilarious when he grows up. This one gigantic black dog, and three tiny little white ones. Ahh, it's gonna be great.

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
What the hell are you going to do with another dog? ;)

An aside on vets: if you have more than one in your area, shop around and get "quotes." Seriously, vet fees are basically unregulated and the differences can be HUGE - took me a long time to figure that out :doh:

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
What the hell are you going to do with another dog? ;)

An aside on vets: if you have more than one in your area, shop around and get "quotes." Seriously, vet fees are basically unregulated and the differences can be HUGE - took me a long time to figure that out :doh:
Yeah, this is the only vet in the town. But it is also the best one in the area. I've been taking my dogs there for about 12 years. It used to be a practice in the home of the veterinarian, but then they upgraded it. And either way, they know me. After all, I have four dogs, so when I come in... they know me and usually ask me about my other dogs.

I took the puppy in today (his name is Duff) and they also asked me about my dog Mac, cuz he has an appointment on Wednesday. And one of the nurses and I talk about piercings and tattoos whenever I come there, she always shows me her new ones and whatnot. It's also right down the street from my house. So it's a pretty good to be able to go to a place that I'm very familiar with. Even if it's a little more expensive than the other vets in the area, it's worth it. Heh.

SoliloquyOfaSiren

ha, yeaaaah. Thats really cool you got a rescue pup...I volunteer with the Humane Society of Greater Akron alot. And as for lame bumper stickers on cars, depends where you look...you go up to Coventry street in Cleveland and its just ridiculous.

Sorry bout the worms though :( I wish your pup and your doggys the best!!!

XOXO
Audrey

Love.Metal

Dr. Bitchcraft
What's funny to me, MB...is that you have three cute woof-machines that are pretty much pocket size...and now you have a black lab mix. Haha, it's just perfect.

What do Duncan, Mac and Bonnie think of this new Duff character??
I mean, at least he sounds like he's smart if he's already figured out the doggie door...and as far as dogs go, it's just inconvenient if it's a big dog AND it's dumb. Like bigger dogs aren't hard enough to handle, add the lack of brains, and it's just a shit-fest waiting to happen.

Congrats on the new woof-baby, I expect pictures.
The comparison pic would be really great, the youngest black one towering over all the little white ones xP

<3

Wantabelly

100% FFA
I'm glad you made it through the weekend in one piece.... I was thinking about you driving the whole time. Your poor arms, back and bum... ouch.

But definitely, you did an amazing thing, and the benefits will be ten fold..... I am DESPERATE to see the the pics...:p:p:p:p

Latest posts