Disney Plus Size Heroine

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Donna

🎶 Melophile & Bibliophile 📚
To quote the beautiful Lizzo, “it’s about damned time!” As soon as I read this article article, I pulled up my Disney + app and WOW, it’s just beautiful. Six minutes of pure emotion. Once upon a time, before the world got in my head, I tried ballet and I adored it. I normally can’t walk across the floor without tripping over my own feet, but that changed when I put on toe shoes.

If you want to watch, it’s part of a program called Short Circuit, season 2, episode 6.

Enjoy! 41BE755C-51F2-4B71-B40E-D5CCC7126C96.jpeg

Last edited:

RVGleason

To quote the beautiful Lizzo, “it’s about damned time!” As soon as I read this article article, I pulled up my Disney + app and WOW, it’s just beautiful. Six minutes of pure emotion. Once upon a time, before the world got in my head, I tried ballet and I adored it. I normally can’t walk across the floor without tripping over my own feet, but that changed when I put on toe shoes.

If you want to watch, it’s part of a program called Short Circuit, season 2, episode 6.

Enjoy! View attachment 152394

I watched this on Disney+ and thought it was delightful. Definitely recommend it.

Donna

Well there was Kung Fu Panda

Po was a fat main character, yes, but he doesn’t qualify as a heroine. The creator of this short film did so specifically to promote body positivity. I’m sorry, but an anthropomorphic panda really doesn’t fit the bill.

(this post was edited because my original response was way bitchier than I intended.)

Last edited:

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Well there was Kung Fu Panda

Bears are the only creatures respec. characters that are allowed to be or even appreciated as fat. So that doesn't count.

The short film has immediately sparked a media discussion - so Disney definitely reached their goal of generating publicity:

And as always, it comes with the flip-side of the regular "promoting obesity"-criticism. That lets me doubt whether this heroine actually has the potential of turning into a positive identification figure.

Donna

And as always, it comes with the flip-side of the regular "promoting obesity"-criticism. That lets me doubt whether this heroine actually has the potential of turning into a positive identification figure.
While I’m normally more cynical/realistic and would 100% agree with you, six year old Donna whose mother forced her to drop out of ballet classes a week before the recital because there weren’t any costumes that fit her wants to cling to the hope that you are wrong. Will the folks at Disney give this character her own full length movie, thus making her an official Disney Princess? Probably not. But if one little girl sees this and holds onto that image of positivity in the face of all the ugly the world will throw at her, than I think she IS a positive identification figure.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
While I’m normally more cynical/realistic and would 100% agree with you, six year old Donna whose mother forced her to drop out of ballet classes a week before the recital because there weren’t any costumes that fit her wants to cling to the hope that you are wrong. Will the folks at Disney give this character her own full length movie, thus making her an official Disney Princess? Probably not. But if one little girl sees this and holds onto that image of positivity in the face of all the ugly the world will throw at her, than I think she IS a positive identification figure.

Completely agree Donna - it justs makes me sad, frustrates me what it boils down to. Namely that fat little girls are taught early on that they have to be satisfied with the bread crumbs life has to offer them; that getting their fair share of life's cake is a hopeless dream.

ssbbwcreepy

gonna be honest
it opens itse;f up to insults
..I mean, a FAT woman wanting to be a Ballerina/dancer?
the Hippo from Fantasia jokes write themselves.
Plus, why are creators afraid of boobs? I'm not saying give her mommy milkers, but a fat woman has or will have some sort of boobage. B cup at best

RVGleason

gonna be honest
Plus, why are creators afraid of boobs? I'm not saying give her mommy milkers, but a fat woman has or will have some sort of boobage. B cup at best
The dancer in ‘Reflect’ is a child, perhaps about ten years old. The short is about not allowing self body image to get in the way of your dreams.

Donna

gonna be honest

Creepy, The subject of this work of art is a CHILD. A prepubescent one at that. Please do not sexualize a child.

As for "the jokes writing themselves", way to go missing the point of the piece AND simultaneously proving @agouderia's ascertain that any positive fat presentation has any chance of making any kind of impact. Fatmisia/fatphobia are repellant.

(This post has been edited.)

Last edited:

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
The subject of this work of art is a CHILD. A prepubescent one at that.
THIS! And nothing but THIS!

All prepubescent children regardless of gender physically have the generally round, belly dominant baby-shape with no manifestly visible primary and secondary sexual characteristics. They clearly also are the intended audience (apart from the PR aspect) for this short film.

Debating boobs and apple-shapes in this context is extremely troubling, to put it mildly.

While I'm used to the male perspective - be it here on Dims or out in the real world - of defining anything classified as female according to individually perceived sexual desirabilty, it is very uncomfortable to see grown women readily take on this framing when viewing their own and other female bodies.

Donna

THIS! And nothing but THIS!

All prepubescent children regardless of gender physically have the generally round, belly dominant baby-shape with no manifestly visible primary and secondary sexual characteristics. They clearly also are the intended audience (apart from the PR aspect) for this short film.

Debating boobs and apple-shapes in this context is extremely troubling, to put it mildly.

While I'm used to the male perspective - be it here on Dims or out in the real world - of defining anything classified as female according to individually perceived sexual desirabilty, it is very uncomfortable to see grown women readily take on this framing when viewing their own and other female bodies.
You are, as always, correct and I am ashamed to have contributed to it. I have edited my post and am bowing out of this discussion.

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
I was born an apple shape and grew into one. Two of my daughters tended to gain weight in their lower halves as children and still do so. The one that had a little stomach isn't that big on the bottom now.

Perhaps I misunderstood something, but I thought we were discussing plus sized heroines finally being shown- not children....even if it's just a kid in the movie.
What I find disturbing is the ever so present disappointment in shapes around here that I saw when I first landed here.
I'll brush that dirt....and chip...off my shoulder if we just want to talk about the actual movie and not what is being represented in society.

Oh and I'm ignoring the titty guy- not worth the read really.

Angelette

Chris Farley's fiancee.
To distract from the elephant in the room. I like this show's concept. Reminds me of the Disney version of "What a Cartoon." Getting your works green-lit for the animation industry is tough. Even if on the internet. So, it's nice seeing a certified production showcase in this digital age.

Last edited:

mathfa

I'm glad lots of people seem to like it, but I don't get it. Perhaps it's because I am neither fat nor a woman, I recognize that my perspective is not as informed.

But like, can't there be a fat character without the whole plot revolving around the fact that they are fat? It feels like cheap pandering. Why can't they just make the usual movie about friendship and magic but the main character happens to be fat?

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
But like, can't there be a fat character without the whole plot revolving around the fact that they are fat? It feels like cheap pandering. Why can't they just make the usual movie about friendship and magic but the main character happens to be fat?

I think these type of films are important, but ones that directly address the struggles of being fat/a fat woman are important too. There's room for both and both are needed, in my opinion.

Also, in general, I've been thinking about this thread a lot lately. Growing up, I never even tried things like ballet and dancing, because I was fat and I knew I'd be mocked and laughed at. Basically, everything that tit-guy earlier said is exactly what I feared people would think, and why I never got to experience the things I wanted to, growing up. So films like this are super important, as is calling out body shaming in the fat community, like we did here.

I feel sorry for younger me for missing out. We have a long way to go in this movement if even FAs are still being gross and body shaming people. I guess this hit a nerve for me.

Latest posts