Does this ad show diversity?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shotha

DM Supporter
@Shotha - i just saw I never posted the reply/outcome here. Basicially saying they are always trying to include everyone and hoping those who are not shown would see the effort and feel themselves included. Well ok.

@Confused - I get your point and I agree!

I mean it is companies business - I just don't like the way companies trying to use certain topics to reach new customers or create a certain image with their advertising- diversity, green products, - you name it. They should do their business with these values, not just advertising those.
If there is a mismatch between what they are saying and what they are doing - I probably won't be a loyal customer - or in private life - loyal friend.

My recent experience - local gyms advertising with body positivity, programs for each shape, nutrition advice - and when I ask them if their equipment is suitable for folks about 180kg / 400lbs I don't even get an answer.
No advert can include all of diversity but that they include people from non-white races and ethnicities and from sexual minorities is a step that we should not belittle.

More recently I have had new thoughts about our "dancing bear". It satisfied me by including a character that I could identify with but other people questioned whether the "dancing bear" really was gay. And that is very true to life. We can tell a black person or an Indian person by their appearance but spotting a gay man is not so easy. People wonder if someone is gay or not. So, that makes the "dancing bear" very true to life.

Many people these days are interested in ethical shopping. I certainly know that I am interested in ethical shopping. I don't like to support the abuse of workers with my money.

When I buy clothes I am much more likely to buy from stores, who advertise the clothes that they sell using fat models. I don't expect all of their models to be fat but I like to see how their clothes will look on me. Just one fat model is enough to show me that they have a positive attitude towards fat men. I used to hate being told by shop assistants things such as: "Yes, sir. We have that in your size and in three nice slimming colours: black, navy blue and bottle green." They don't get it that I don't want to look slim, because it's not what I am. It shows that they think that I need fixing. It's not even about my ethics. I just want to shop at a store that gives a fat man a positive experience about buying clothes.

Latest posts