Does this ad show diversity?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
May I ask you for your opinion on this ad...

I usually don't pay much attention on the people shown in such ads. Mainstream product, mainstream people.
This spot particularly opens up on diversity of people (see my translation below).
They tried, ok. Young, older, different hair colors, one bigger guy (!), different ethnicities... Maybe I am just missing a bigger girl among those shown?
Or maybe I am just overreacting.. lol

What do you think?

(o2 dein so wie du willst tarif TV Spot 2020)

Wir alle haben eines gemeinsam
[We all have one thing in common]
Wir sind sind einzigartig, besonders, verschieden.
[We are unique, special, different]
Wenn wir followen, dann unserem Geschmack.
[When we are following then it is after our fancy]
Wir wollen die Welt nicht nur sehen, wir wollen sie erleben.
[We want to experience the world instead of only seeing it]

Denn für uns ist das Leben wie O OMG.
[Life is O , like in OMG]
Es ist O wie Oh, wie süß..
[it is O like Oh, how cute..]

etc..

(nevertheless I like this ad because the song they've chosen was my favourite song in my teenage years...)

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Ethnic diversity, which is great. But size diversity? Not so much. Just the normal fatphobic "fat people doing things is funny! Let's all laugh at them!" nonsense. It would have had a rather different implication if they had all been watching a video of a muscular guy in his parading around in his underwear...

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter
Ethnic diversity, which is great. But size diversity? Not so much. Just the normal fatphobic "fat people doing things is funny! Let's all laugh at them!" nonsense. It would have had a rather different implication if they had all been watching a video of a muscular guy in his parading around in his underwear...
I agree. I think society has come a long way in terms of diversity, but you still get a lot of poking fun directed at fat people. Hopefully this will start to change as well soon!

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
I think the redhead :04 seconds in is thicker than average. But then, she's a redhead and my eyes gravitated toward her!:p

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Thanks for your replies so far.
For some strange reason this topic sticks in my head - I will contact the company about it.
Well, I'll keep you updated on the blabla -answer I am expecting...

edit: it is my secret passion to talk or to get in contact with companies that are professionally dealing with communication. Always so much fun :rolleyes:

edit No.2: E-Mail has been sent today (Feb 20)...

Last edited:

SSBHM

I usually don't pay much attention on the people shown in such ads. Mainstream product, mainstream people.
This spot particularly opens up on diversity of people (see my translation below).
They tried, ok. Young, older, different hair colors, one bigger guy (!), different ethnicities... Maybe I am just missing a bigger girl among those shown?

What do you think?

etc..

(nevertheless I like this ad because the song they've chosen was my favourite song in my teenage years...)
No big gals, no older people, no disabilities, no LBGBT, no real race differences, no religious differences - was this an ad for diversity? No way.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
No big gals, no older people, no disabilities, no LBGBT, no real race differences, no religious differences - was this an ad for diversity? No way.

They want to sell their stuff of course.

Everyone's unique, special and different - in a very mainstream kind of way. :rolleyes:

btw I haven't heard anything from the company on my questions so far... (and I am not surprised at all...)

Shotha

DM Supporter

What do you think?

etc..

Did someone say, "No LGBTQ"? The dancing fat man is in fact gay. He's a bear. That's the subset of the gay community that I belong to. In fact, I'm a polar bear. So, diversity of sexual orientation was there but most people seem to have missed it, because it wasn't stereotypical.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Did someone say, "No LGBTQ"? The dancing fat man is in fact gay. He's a bear. That's the subset of the gay community that I belong to. In fact, I'm a polar bear. So, diversity of sexual orientation was there but most people seem to have missed it, because it wasn't stereotypical.
How do you know that? Is he famous in the gay scene?

Also, I don't think he counts towards diversity as he was in the advert as an object, a thing on a screen for the 'real' people in the advert to laugh at. Everybody else is a person, in their normal life. That was my point earlier.

If he is a well known gay person, that kinda makes it even worse that people were shown watching on their phones and laughing. I don't think "Lets all laugh at the gay person" is any better than "Lets all laugh at the fat person".

Shotha

DM Supporter

Also, I don't think he counts towards diversity as he was in the advert as an object, a thing on a screen for the 'real' people in the advert to laugh at. Everybody else is a person, in their normal life. That was my point earlier.

If he is a well known gay person, that kinda makes it even worse that people were shown watching on their phones and laughing. I don't think "Lets all laugh at the gay person" is any better than "Lets all laugh at the fat person".
He's a bear, because he's fat and has a beard and short hair. The speedos are so gay, which also makes him a bear. Bears dance like that. When other gay men dance, it looks more professional. A lot of what bears do is a send up of the main gay scene. Below is a link to Tom Goss' "Bears", which will make everything clear. And before anyone else says it, the one with the green speedos is mine.

Shotha

DM Supporter

And I forgot to say that other bears won't be laughing at the bear. Anyway we bears can laugh at ourselves.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
He's a bear, because he's fat and has a beard and short hair. The speedos are so gay, which also makes him a bear. Bears dance like that. When other gay men dance, it looks more professional. A lot of what bears do is a send up of the main gay scene. Below is a link to Tom Goss' "Bears", which will make everything clear. And before anyone else says it, the one with the green speedos is mine.
Okay, yeah, I thought that might be what you were getting at but I don't think you can judge a person's sexuality based on a 5 second clip and their body type. I just don't agree that you can judge a person's sexuality based on how they look or dance... there are plenty of straight BHM here that match the physical description perfectly. It's just not great to assume somebody's sexuality based on appearance, imo.

For what it is worth, I'm also a LGBT type person, so although I'm not a gay man, I am familiar with the terms etc used in that community.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Okay, yeah, I thought that might be what you were getting at but I don't think you can judge a person's sexuality based on a 5 second clip and their body type. I just don't agree that you can judge a person's sexuality based on how they look or dance... there are plenty of straight BHM here that match the physical description perfectly. It's just not great to assume somebody's sexuality based on appearance, imo.

For what it is worth, I'm also a LGBT type person, so although I'm not a gay man, I am familiar with the terms etc used in that community.
Remember that this is from an advertisement and the people in it will be actors. I think that they intended this guy to look like a bear. I think that they've done a rather good job. Most of the time, when we see gay characters in films or TV series or adverts, they are very stereotyped. I agree with you up to a point. When we get the impression that a man is gay, we could be right or wrong, but I think that LGBT people tend to be right about this more often that other people do. Having said that, I know of several people, whom my gay friends assumed was gay and we were all wrong.

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
Thanks for your replies so far.
For some strange reason this topic sticks in my head - I will contact the company about it.
Well, I'll keep you updated on the blabla -answer I am expecting...

edit: it is my secret passion to talk or to get in contact with companies that are professionally dealing with communication. Always so much fun :rolleyes:

edit No.2: E-Mail has been sent today (Feb 20)...
Only three weeks since I sent my first e-mail, one week since my last reminder I've received an answer today 🙃.
Quite a long text, haven't read in detail yet.

In case you want to know more about their reply just let me know.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I'd be interested to know the final outcome. I'm politically active and take a stance on diversity, inclusion, stereotyping and discrimination.