• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Dungeons and Dragons and the Quest for Mom's Basement

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
So I did a search through the threads for D&D and a couple of other keywords, and found very little. I also had a couple of recent threads that got way out of hand like an ADD sufferer at a gumball counting contest, so I opted for something easy.

I am curious as to how many people on Dimensions are familiar with the game, the novels or the whole process as it relates to Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs).

Just a little history: Played the Advanced 1st edition way back in the early 80s, graduated to 2nd edition rules just as I was getting too busy to play...left the whole hobby in my 20s and early employment years, but then a buddy introduced me to the Drizzt Do'Urden novels (R.A. Salvatore) about 10 years too late and I got hooked again. By that time, the 2nd edition was on it's way out (with eleventymillion supplements and guides), ushering in a new generation of 3rd Edition "simplifications" that just made it all worse.

I was also a Greyhawk person originally, then Drizzt introduced me to the Forgotten Realms. Just as I grow to love FR, they spring Eberron on us. I can barely read the Dragon/Dungeon magazines anymore, just due to the sheer complexity of feats, abilities and so forth.

So in a nutshell, how many here:

1. Have you played the pen and paper (P&P) version of the game? Which edition(s)? Any comparable RPGs (GRUPS, CoC, GammaWorld, etc.)?
  2. If you did play, how much did you spend? The GNP of a small 3rd world country? Have the sheer # of rulebooks and supplements improved the game or made it worse?
  3. Did you maintain your P&P group as friends, or adjusted to newer (and maybe younger) groups to keep with the hobby? Ever find yourself asking, "there's a reason I don't do this as an adult."
  4. Any of the D&D novel series appeal to you? Which ones? Any that you continue to read or stopped due to boredom, other interests, or "real literature"?
  5. Did you ever migrate to the MMORPGs (World of Warcraft, EQ2) or computer-based emulators (e.g., Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale)? Did you ever look back to P&P after that?
  6. Did you see the travesty that was the Dungeons & Dragons movie? Did you lose all respect for Jeremy Irons afterwards? Do you agree the movie would have still sucked even if Thora Birch had played her entire role naked? Did you rewind the movie over and over just to see Marlon Wayans die over and over again?
  7. Bueller? Bueller?

Just curious to see if I'm the only D&D nerd on the board. I've seen enough geekery here to know I am not alone. It's OK to come out of the woodwork and into the light, even if you are a level 12 vampire sorcerer.

View attachment hfca089.jpg

Latest posts

Back