BHM We will geek together

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

wolfedrev

Long time lurker. I have finished this story as a rough draft and will post each chapter as I edit it. BHM, FFA, slow burn. I know I tend to overdo it on the exposition. There will be some explicit content, but it will take awhile to get there.

“For my bonus action, I cast spiritual weapon!” I exclaimed. Usually, such an utterance was met with groans and complaints of, “Geez, don’t you have any other defensive spells!” I realized that my Discord chat was muted.

“I cast spiritual weapon, walk thirty feet, and heal the barbarian,” I said, making sure that this time I was unmuted.

College hadn’t gone nearly the way I expected. I thought that I would finally come out of my geeky shell. I would stop spending all my time reading and playing videogames. Instead, I would join a sorority, finally make some friends, maybe have a hot fling or two, and eventually find a husband. Instead, my roommate my freshman year had introduced me to Dungeons and Dragons, where I was able to both fully geek out and make friends at the same time. Instead of the “geek to barbie” transformation I had been hoping for, I instead had thoroughly embraced my geeky side. I was still a nerd, 5’4 and 185 pounds, but going to science fiction conventions with my roommate, dressed in corsets and short skirts, had even made me actually able to talk to boys without feeling intimidated and judged.

Instead of “getting my MRS” like I had planned, I had discovered that I really enjoyed being a source of information and providing that information to anyone who needed it. I ended up getting my Bachelor’s in Library Science. I had hoped that graduate school would lead to further socialization opportunities, but my first year of grad school, I had been far too busy being a TA and shepherding hapless undergrad students to really network. My second year of grad school, the infamous COVID-19 had hit halfway through. I had spent most of this, my third and final year of getting my Master’s degree, playing tech support to online classes and wishing that I got to see other humans in person- ever.

Thankfully, I still had my group of friends from my undergraduate days. We had met through the college’s Dungeons and Dragons club. After we all graduated, we had continued playing through a “play by post” system, where instead of acting out things in person, we posted what our characters would do and say in an online forum. The one thing I was thankful about regarding the whole “quarantine” fiasco was that we were able to use online gaming systems and video chats to play in a way that was closer to what we were used to. Our original Game Master wasn’t able to continue with us, but Frederick’s friend Marcus had been willing to run a new game for us.

Instead of the usual groans of, “Why do you always have to cast Spiritual Weapon,” that I had been expecting, I instead heard exclamations of, “Oh my god!” and “Dude, seriously?!” from my fellow players.

“What’s going on?” I asked with a hint of irritation tinging my tone. “What did I miss?”

“Dude, Helen, check the group chat,” said Frederick laughingly. “I seriously can’t believe you didn’t know this yet.”

Pulling up the group chat, I saw what all the hubbub was about. Most of my D&D group had been either Library Science majors or Computer Science majors- fields with more overlap in classes than you might first think. One of our former classmates, a complete dick named Brian, whom everyone hated, had been busted for “inappropriate conduct with a minor” by the FBI. I had always sensed something skeezy about the man, but I had no inkling that he was up to that sort of thing!

“Didn’t he get that awesome job down in Atlanta?” asked Harriet, my former roommate.

“Yeah, he definitely did,” said Marcus grimly. “He was the archivist and historical research consultant for the CDC. Y’all remember that I’m the head of the CDC’s in-house IT, right?” he continued after a pause. “Legally, I can’t go into any details, but, yeah. What the press is saying is only the tip of the iceberg. I’m glad he’s gone.”

“Does that mean his job is up for grabs?” asked Alex eagerly. Alex was super fun to play D&D with, but his ability to interact with people outside of the game left a lot to be desired.

“Well, yeah,” said Marcus, his irritation clear in his tone. “I’m more concerned with the harm he caused, but yeah, that’s what he did down here. He even mentioned that he knew Frederick, Harriet, and Helen, probably trying to keep me from doing the annual audit of his computer.”

My mouth gaped open, and I was suddenly glad that we never had our cameras on for our Discord discussions, just the microphones. I knew Brian was dumb, but surely he had had been smart enough to keep any incriminating evidence off of computers provided by the CDC! Apparently not, though.

“As disturbing as his actions are, I’m still concerned about what the lack of his admittedly impressive research skills are going to mean to the project he was helping with,” Marcus continued. “He is a total dumpster fire of a human being, but his knowledge of genetics and the ways that the ancients dealt with infections had finally started to actually help the epidemiologists get a good handle on how to treat certain diseases,” Marcus continued. “He definitely deserves to be in prison for the rest of his life, but there was so much he knew that could’ve been invaluable to a lot of the research still going on.”

“Hell, if it’s genetics and history you need help with, just hire Helen,” Harriet said dismissively. “She dual majored in library science and genetics in undergrad and had a minor in history. Plus, she concentrated on the history of medicine, which seems stupid. Why not concentrate on the history of libraries? It would make more sense for what she said she wanted her career to be.”

While I boggled at Harriet’s cavalier dismissal of my undergraduate career- I only majored and minored in that stuff because I found in interesting- she did have a point. I thought about speaking up, but Marcus started talking again before I could.

“Reeeeeeeealy,” he said, drawing out the word with intensity. “Helen, aren’t you graduating with your master’s degree next month?”

“Yes,” I stammered out.

“Well then,” Marcus said decisively. “So, what can you tell me about the ways in which…” what followed was a thorough interrogation about everything I had ever learned about the medieval ways of medicine, with particular emphasis on the ways the Ottoman Empire had treated diseases. The rest of our D&D group stayed silent, even though I knew that Frederick would have usually loved to argue a few points with me out of pure contrarianism.

After Marcus had wrung every bit of historical and genetic knowledge out of me, he seemed to come to a decision.

“Ok, sorry for the huge diversion, guys,” he said, his voice holding a definite undertone of glee. “I think that’s enough about my job and that dick Brian for now. Helen, you said you cast spiritual weapon and then moved to heal the barbarian?”

I thought that was then end of the conversation, but I was thoroughly, delightfully wrong.

wolfedrev

Chapter 2

A month after the bizarrely interrupted D&D game, and I was ready to be presented with my Master’s degree. Even though a lot of people had been vaccinated by now, the college administration had still decided to hold graduation virtually. As soon as I signed off my Zoom meeting for graduation, thinking about how ridiculous all of this was, I got an email from my faculty advisor, Dr. Haymes. All it said was, “Come to my office ASAP about job offer!!!!!!!!”

Taking the preponderance of exclamation marks to mean that I really should get there as soon as possible, I hightailed it to his office on campus, barely remembering to take off the silly graduation cap that the graduation committee had insisted all of us wear.

“Hey, Dr. Haymes, what’s going on?” I asked as I sank into the uncomfortable folding chair he had set up in front of his desk.

“Okay, so, I know you wanted to go straight from Master’s to Doctorate and have had offers from a lot of universities, but I’ve gotten an email that you just HAVE to see,” he said. Although I knew Dr. Haymes was excitable at the best of times, I had never seen him quite this happy and jittery about anything before.

“I just got an email saying that the CDC wants to hire you for a prestigious research position, and that while your first few years would be at a paltry $25,000 a year, they would be willing to sign a contract that guaranteed you a $50,000 a year salary upon completion of your initial research project if you promised to stay there for at least 10 years and not commit any crimes beyond speeding,” Dr. Haymes said rapidly. “The crime-free provision is somewhat anomalous, to be sure, but you’ve always stuck to the straight and narrow, so I think it would be worth it. It has something to do with-“

“Historical treatments of infections and how they can be combined with modern genetic research?” I asked.

“Yes, that, exactly!” Dr. Haymes exclaimed. He then paused and looked over his glasses at me. “How on earth could you possibly know that?”

“Brian and I were in the same undergrad program, and gossip travels fast,” I said. I was aiming to sound cynical, but I feared I just sounded dazed instead. Barely what minimum wage would get me at first, sure, but a comfortable salary and guarteend job afterwards? Did Marcus have anything to do with this?

“Ah, I see,” Dr. Haymes said hastily. “But here. Let me email you all the details. I think this could really make your career, and even though you don’t have your doctorate, being chief researcher of anything at the CDC can certainly write your ticket to anyting you want for your future, be it further studies or further research work.”

After he finished providing me with the details and contact information, I made my way home to my tiny studio apartment. While I was on the subway, I sent a quick message to Marcus, asking, “Do I have you to thank for this? If so, thank you!”

I got only a smiley face emoji in response.

The following day, I called the number that Dr. Haymes had given me. The job offer was even better than he had led me to believe. While the initial salary was less that I could usually expect, they also guaranteed a housing stipend and that all my considerable student loans would be paid off by the time the specific project to which I was to be assigned would be completed. I was over the moon. I accepted.

The next time our group was supposed to play D&D, I made sure to log in slightly early, hoping to get to talk to Marcus before everyone else got there. I was in luck.

“So, you took the job!” he said. Even though we had our cameras off, I could hear the smile in his voice. “When do you start?”

“Well, they said they would like me there as soon as possible, but I don’t know how I’ll be able to make that happen on my budget,” I said somewhat morosely.

“What do you mean?” he enquired with evident concern.

“Well, they’re giving me a generous relocation budget, all things considered, but I just can’t find an apartment that’s available within easy commuting distance,” I said, my dejection now readily evident in my tone. “I don’t have a car and won’t be able to afford one for a while. The only available apartments are really far away from any bus or subway stops. I want to start as soon as I can, but I don’t really have any way to get there. Even if I were to walk, I’d have to be walking for like three hours from the closest available apartment, and it’s in a really horrid area of Atlanta.”

“That is unfortunate,” Marcus said somberly. Then there was a pause, long enough that I thought our connection had been lost. “If you’re able to chat with me after the game is over tonight, I may have a solution,” he finally said.

Just as I agreed that I was free to do that, the others started logging on, and I lost myself in the game.

I nearly forgot to hang around after the game was done, but a private message from Marcus reading, “Still up to chat?” reminded me. Everyone else had logged off from the gaming platform and chat room, leaving just Marcus and I.

“So. Helen. This may seem very forward and odd, but, you mentioned that you were having some difficulties finding adequate housing,” Marcus said diffidently. His tone was somewhat jarring, because I was used to him speaking with authority as our Game Master.

“Yeah, I did say that. It’s really irritating, but I’ll just have to keep looking,” I responded, trying and likely failing to keep my tone light.

“Well, I haven’t mentioned to any of you, but I happen to come from a rather affluent family,” Marcus said. His tone was still far more diffident than I had come to expect form the man. Before I could process what he said, he continued, “I have a somewhat large house in Druid Hills, and there are quite a few vacant rooms. While I do not have any need to go into the CDC itself, as I am fully able to work remotely, I live only three miles from the CDC itself. I also have quite a few cars that I, ah, inherited, as well as several drivers who would be quite excited to actually be able to drive you to and from work and anywhere else you might desire to go. They are quite irritated with the fact that I never really want to go anywhere, and they would be more than happy to drive you wherever you wish at whatever time you desire to do leave the house. Their frequent complaints about my tendencies towards introversion and lack of a social life have made that very clear to me.”

I was struck dumb. I had never expected such an offer. While I had played D&D with Marcus for over a year, his position as the impartial Dungeon Master had prevented me from really getting to know him as a person, especially since we had been playing online instead of in person.

“That- I mean, I couldn’t- that’s so nice, and-“

“Before you make any final decision,” Marcus cut me off, “You should know something more about what you’re getting into. Would you be willing to turn your camera on?”

“Of course,” I replied faintly. I always found his aversion to video chat instead of voice chat odd, but I hadn’t questioned it.

“Okay. I’m turning my camera on, too,” he said, with a clear note of nervousness tinging his voice.

After a quick check of the state of my hair (passable), I turned on my camera. At first, I saw only my own reflection- a slightly overweight lady in her mid-20’s with long, unruly, curly brown hair and bright green catseye glasses. Then Marcus’s video came on.

I had clamp down on all my muscles to keep myself from gasping audibly and visibly. This man Marcus, with whom I had spent hours playing Dungeons and Dragons, was gloriously, wonderfully, sexily, and beautifully fat.

Clandy Caine

Yay! A new BHM/FFA writer is always exciting. That last paragraph has me looking forward to the next installment! Great start!

fat hiker

Wow.

One of the best new story starts in years.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

Fortunately for your story, the CDC isn't anywhere near a MARTA station!

wolfedrev

Wow.

One of the best new story starts in years.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

Fortunately for your story, the CDC isn't anywhere near a MARTA station!
Thank you so much!!!

I live between Atlanta and Athens, so I have a vague, passing knowledge of the area in question. I almost drove around there for **realism points** but decided that I really, really didn’t feel like spending hours in traffic just for that 😂

wolfedrev

Chapter 3
(1/2)
I struggled to keep myself from showing any of my reaction on my face. For as long as I could remember, I had fantasized about being with a truly fat man. When my fellow middle and high school students were swooning over the celebrity of the week, I had been imagining what it would be like to date someone whose belly alone weighed as much as I did. Watching overweight men eat had always been a huge turn on for me. I loved watching the slow growth of my classmates as they developed the "Freshman 15 (plus)." I had no idea why I had such a fascination with men so much heavier that I was, but I couldn’t help but feel an overwhelming wave of lust rush through my entire body as soon as I laid eyes on Marcus.

I already knew that he was a good fifteen years my senior, but that fact held no sway over the heat I felt rushing through my body. His tastefully trimmed beard, light brown with a hint of grey, did little to disguise the fact that there was no easy way to differentiate between his face and his neck. Combined with his shoulder length hair, he reminded me of a medieval king. Someone who could feast on the bounty of a kingdom. While I couldn’t tell for sure, the perspective lent by the armoire that was in the background seemed to indicate that he was wonderfully, beautifully wide. I suspected that he weighed at least 450 pounds, maybe more.

I could tell by the tightness of his t-shirt that he was in dire need of new clothing. The shirt he was wearing had ridden up far enough that I could just barely see the most tantalizing hint of flesh at the very bottom of the screen. I could tell from my brief foray into retail at a lingerie shop that, if he were to force a bra onto his considerable chest, he would be at least an E cup, if not more. Although I had ample curves and a rather nicely rounded butt, I knew that everything about this man's body would dwarf everything about my own. I couldn’t help but be overcome with lust.

“As you can see,” Marcus said diffidently, shaking me out of my admiring trance, “I am a very large man- morbidly obese is the technical term. That is the main reason behind my request to keep all of our D&D sessions to voice-only. Being lectured on my size is one of the few ways to anger me.”

“I would never dream of doing that, and anyone who does is rude and needs to go back to kindergarten to learn some manners,” I said immediately.

“Ah, well, good,” he said, seemingly a bit thrown by my statement. “Well, back to what you can expect here. While my house is admittedly large, all of the bedrooms are in close proximity on the first floor. I have a dedicated chef in my employ, and he is as temperamental as he is excellent. He keeps to a very set schedule of meal times, and if anyone living at here doesn’t show up for dinner without giving proper notice in the morning or someone leaves the table before everyone is done eating, he will refuse to use any spices or even salt the following day. He will then also lock up the kitchen to prevent any late-night snacking if a meal is skipped. So, because of that, one of the few formalities I must insist upon is dining together every evening from 6PM-7:30PM. That’s why our D&D games never start before 8PM. It lets me digest my food and be fully ready to dedicate myself to our game. Is all of this something to which you can agree?”

Intimidated by his evident wealth, formal tone, and how thoroughly sexy he was, I nodded mutely.

wolfedrev

Chapter 3 (2/2)
“Are you really, truly sure that you can handle living with me?” Marcus asked. “I guarantee, I am not willing to compromise my dining habits if it turns out that my sheer size is not something you can handle in person. My cousins will no longer visit me because they find watching me eat to be highly distasteful.”

Little did he know that I was highly unlikely to object to watching him eat! In fact, his words only served to further excite me about the proposition of living with him. He took an hour and a half to eat dinner in his own home, without the delays for ordering at a restaurant! A man whom I could watch eat to his heart’s delight, and I wouldn’t even have to do any of the hard work of preparing meals for him!

After another long silence, I realized that Marcus was likely waiting for a reply from me.

“That is so amazingly generous of you,” I murmured. “Sharing your house, your transportation, and your chef all at the same time? I can’t think of anywhere else I could possibly live where I would get so lucky. I feel like I should be asking if you’re sure you want me to live there and disrupt your routine!”

“Well, I talked to Frederick, and he said that you were the only person he knew in college who actually kept to a regular sleeping and eating schedule. I thought that if you were able to do so in college, you would presumably have no objection to doing so when you’re out in the real world, working a job in your field,” he said, face and tone still serious.

“This feels way more like a fantasy than the real world,” I said under my breath.

“What was that?” Marcus enquired.

“Oh, s-sorry,” I stammered. “I was just thinking that this doesn’t quite feel like the real world!" I tried to cover my awkwardness with a joke. "Are you sure you’re not Batman? With your house, your employees, your generosity, and hiding your face on chat, I think you must actually be the Batman of Atlanta,” I said, hoping that he didn’t notice the blush creeping across my face.

“Hah! More like Fatman than Batman!” he guffawed. His bright smile made his already attractive face light up with a boyish roguishness. “No, I do not don costumes and go out and about fighting crime. I’d get winded just getting all my gear together! I can see where you’re coming from, though. I've always done well for myself. Then, five years ago, I inherited this house and quite a lot of shares in some very profitable companies. I’ve also always been good at investing. Besides, other than computer gear, D&D stuff, and food, I have very little I need to spend money on. I saw no point in depriving the people my mother employed from continuing to make their living. If it just so happens that my circumstances are able to help out both my friend and my employer, well, so much the better.”

“Speaking of money,” I said diffidently, “How much rent will I be paying?”

Marcus looked uneasy, and I couldn’t blame him. Talking about money amongst friends was always awkward.

“I am tempted to say none, but I know firsthand how that sort of arraignment can breed resentment. That being said, I really don’t need to charge you. I know generally the salary you will be drawing at first, too, so charging you Atlanta rental prices would be grossly unfair to you. I figure that $200 a month will cover the difference in utilities and the like with you living here. I’ll also email you a rental agreement, just so that if we do ever have any differences in opinion, nothing will be hanging over your head or mine. I don't foresee that being an issue, but you never know.”

That was so startlingly low that I couldn’t think of anything to say.

“Is that too much?” Marcus asked hesitantly.

“No! Not at all! That’s insanely generous, is what that is!” I exclaimed. “You’re really sure about all of this?”

“I am,” he replied, nodding decisively. “After all, it’s not like I’m taking in some stranger. I know from talking to Harriet that you’re a good and respectful roommate, and I’d like to think that after spending about 5 hours every Saturday gaming together, we can call ourselves friends. Plus, even before the pandemic and the social distancing and everything, I never really got out much. It will be really nice to have someone to hang out with who isn’t an employee. It’s not that I dislike my employees or anything; they’re all great people. We just have nothing in common to talk about beyond the jobs I employ them to do. Believe me, I’ve tried.”

“I know what you mean,” I agreed. “I haven’t really made any friends in grad school. The one good thing about the pandemic has been getting to hang out with everyone virtually on D&D nights!”

“They are great fun,” Marcus said. “So hey, message me your email and I’ll send you a rental agreement you can sign virtually. I know everyone involved is eager to have you start quickly, so as soon as you have a moving date picked out, just let me know. Email or messenger is fine.”

We said our goodbyes and logged off. I was still reeling from everything. I got an awesome job, a place to live where it sounded like I wouldn’t have to do much of anything for upkeep, and a really awesome roommate who I was already drooling over.

Wait.

Roommate. Don’t the nebulous “they” always say that you’re not supposed to date your roommate? I knew Marcus’s personality well enough from our weekly games, but I didn’t really know anything about him beyond the scope of Dungeons and Dragons. I hadn’t known he was rich or that he worked for the CDC. I gathered from our conversation that he wasn’t dating anybody, but I also had no idea if he was even INTERESTED in dating anybody. He could be gay. He could be asexual. He could be perfectly straight but not into me at all. I had a hard enough time controlling my very physical reactions to this man when I could only see him via video chat. How on earth was I going to be able to live with him and not come across like an obsessive fangirl? What if I totally weirded him out and he didn’t feel comfortable with me living there?

How would I be able to watch him eat dinner every night and not be overcome with lust?

Living with him was going to be a bit harder than I first thought.

fat hiker

I'm loving the set up. I couldn't help but also think that dating your GM could also be awkward ;)
I just find it fascinating that the DnD that I loved in university a quarter century ago is still going strong! And I have to agree that dating your Dungeon Master/Game Master could be very..... awkward, indeed. Though I knew a number of couples who played DnD together.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I just find it fascinating that the DnD that I loved in university a quarter century ago is still going strong! And I have to agree that dating your Dungeon Master/Game Master could be very..... awkward, indeed. Though I knew a number of couples who played DnD together.
In university I played a number of games with one GM whose girlfriend was in the group, and it was fine -- but the games did start up with us all knowing that. It doesn't have to be a problem, but it can be. What can I say, I'm enough of a geek that I'd worry about breaking up a good gaming group at least as much as messing up my living situation :p

Latest posts