• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Fat Words

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeezablysoft

I'm not crazy about the word "fat", it sounds sharp and hard, like the opposite of what fat is really like. So I went in search of some alternatives:

The "H-words" have a feeling of strength connected to them, and possibly also health, and emphasize the actual weight of the person:heavy, hefty, husky, "healthy", hearty (I feel like hunky should be here too, but it isn't used in this context)

The "P-words" have a feeling of soft roundness, and fullness about them, ad also cuteness: pudgy, plump, plus-size, paunchy, portly has a sense of solidity like stout, pyknic is one of my favorites because it sounds exactly like "picnic"

The "R-words" sound very round and often carry connotations of largeness and even grandeur: round(ed), rotund, robust, roly-poly, Rubensesque (though the origin of this one also puts it in the "sensuous" category)

The "C-words) imply cuteness, and maybe someone who is more wide/thick than truly big: chunky, chub/chubster/chubby (chunky+baby=chubby?), curvy/curvaceous, cub, tubby comes under this too even though it's a "T-word" (tummy+chunky+baby=tubby, adorable!), corpulent sounds science-y/medical-y to me

Other science-y/medical-y words: overweight (this is about the most neutral fat word I think), obese (which some F/FAs don't find sexy due to the medical connotations, but I like because it means REALLY fat), bariatric (same), endomorphic is really more of a build/body-type, thick and curvy come across the same way, you can weigh relatively little and still be thick, curvy, and/or have a body that tends more towards fat than bone/muscle

Sensuous words (I love these): Voluptuous sounds like luxury/luxurious/lush/luscious/delicious, and feels like velvet and silk and that delicious shudder you get when experiencing deep, intense sensory pleasure (like really good sex or really good food), Rubensesque is artsy/classy and classic/timeless, curvy/curvaceous is very descriptive of a certain type of fat body, embonpoint is a new word I just discovered googling "synoyms for fat", but I love the definition of it "1. embonpoint (adj.) sufficiently fat so as to have a pleasing fullness of figure; 2. embonpoint (n.) the bodily property of being well rounded. Though I actually came across the word many years ago whilst reading a cookbook (maybe "The Joy of Cooking"???), there was a chapter on hostessing and the theoretical perfect hostess was described as being "all embonpoint and cheer", I think they mentioned something about her wearing a dress of a particular fancy fabric I've since forgotten, at any rate I assumed the word "embonpoint" had something to do with either fancy dress or cheerfulness and I never bothered to look it up.

Back