• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Feeding Fido and Fluffy

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Risible

Monkey Daze
I got my little dog, Bubbles, at 12 weeks of age just over three years ago. He's always had a sensitive tummy, but in the past few weeks he's started excessively licking and chewing his little body. Allergies? I figured I'd start there.

I've always fed him a commercial wet dog food, and over the past few months have been integrating a high-quality boutique kibble into his diet. I switched up his wet dog food to another high-priced commercial brand a few weeks ago, and shortly after he began the chewing behavior.

His groomer said that those pricey wet dog food brands are the equivalent of canine junk food, so I'm guessing that's the problem with his diet. That, and the ingredient list, which reads like a recipe for some kind of chemical. :eek:

So, yesterday I read up on homemade dog food, and, surprisingly (at least to me) found a few recipes on websites like Allrecipes and recipezaar. The one I picked sounded typical of others I'd found: a pound of ground meat (I used chicken), a cup of uncooked rice (I used brown), and frozen (could use fresh) mixed veggies that are cooked, processed into a paste and blended into the chicken/rice mixture. That easy! You cook the chicken and rice together in sufficient water, then add the veggies. I also added a heaping tablespoon of bacon fat for yummy taste.

In addition, I've ordered a supplement and fish oil, as I had read several reviews of the recipes that warned of the necessity of supplementing homemade dog food with essential nutrition for a balanced diet. I've been giving him a probiotic powder for several weeks now also.

Bubbles loves his new diet! He gobbled it right up - and he's a very picky eater! I'm hoping that this'll be the key to good, allergy-free health for him.

Just curious, is anyone else making their pet's food? Care to share your recipes? Any comments on supplements, etc.?

Latest posts

Back