• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Gender Segregation in e-Sports

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deven

Wendigo
So, today was an interesting day, as the International e-Sports Federation announced, and pretty quickly reversed, a decision barring female players from playing in certain competitions, the main point of contention being Hearthstone, a World of Warcraft based card game.

I can understand that are physiological differences between men and women that would not allow them to compete in the same physical sports. I honestly don't understand why any game based on a game of skill.

To explain how Hearthstone is played, it's sort of like Magic: The Gathering, but a bit different. It's a turn based game. You make a deck of 30 cards depending on the class you select (Mage, Paladin, Priest, Warlock, Rogue, and Shaman.) Each of the spells/minions are based off of things from the World of Warcraft universe. You have 30 health points, and start off with 1 mana crystal. Each spell costs a certain amount of mana crystals. You cap out at 10 crystals. The more mana crystals a spell costs, the more damaging it usually is. First one to 0 points (or to concede) loses.

I don't understand why things like Chess, Magic, and Hearthstone are all gender segregated. I just can't wrap my brain around it. I'm a ranked Hearthstone player (one among many, but still.) Blizzard doesn't segregate. Why does my skill matter? It's not an athletic competition at all.

It's so frustrating to me. I don't get it. What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Back