• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Had a Gastric Sleeve 11/4/09 or 4/11/09 for you yanks :P

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigisnutter

Ello people,

Just thought i'd make a post, that i can hopefully update regularly with my experiences of and after my surgery for however long.

First of all, let me explain the proceedure for anyone that may not know. It's my understanding that it is the proceedure that used to be called a Stomach Staple. Basically, an incision is made in the Osophogous and in the Intestine. The surgeon inserts a small plastic tube through the insitions, running through the stomach. The Stomach is then pulled up against the tube and cut to roughly the width of the tube. The excess stomach, which is usually between 85/90% is then removed. Everything is stitched up and the plastic tube is removed, leaving behind a 'Sleeve' of Stomach.

I was originally given the date of 27/4/09 for my Gastric Sleeve. But after a phone call from the hospital, telling me my Surgeon would be in europe at a conference and would not be able to get a flight back in time, it was brought forward to the 11th. I was told to arrive at 7AM and receive a letter about this and my pre-admission appointment a week or so before.

I did receive a letter saying i had a pre-admission appointment on the 6th, but nothing about the surgery. I went along on the 6th, after having been told to do Slim Fast for a month or so before surgery, to lose some weight and reduce the size of the Liver. I was weighed and blood tests were done etc. I'd lost 12lbs in the 3 weeks leading to this appointment, which was nice.

I still received no letter and was told to just arrive, as it was on the system. I arrived at 7AM and waited where i was told to wait. But being the Easter weekend, staff were off all over the place and the section i was supposed to report to was closed. So i sat and waited. Eventually a guy arrived with a clipboard and told me that the lack of staff meant this department was closed, but i was to go straight to a ward. They had no beds at the moment, but if i wait there, they'll be 1, by the time i get back from surgery. I sat and waited. My surgeon came in and introduced himself, my anaethetist came and introduced himself and soon enough, i was WALKED!!! down to the operating theatre. lol When i got there, i put the usual gown on, best i could anyway and walked into the theatre, climbed on the table and prepared myself. I don't remember anything after that really. I must have been gassed, but have no recollection.

The next thing i remember, is awaking in my ward bed. Now, the strangest thing was happening. I felt no pain, in the slightest. I felt a little ache in my stomach, but no pain, not even in the 6 Keyhole stitchings i had. Soon enough the nurses arrived and i was pumped full of painkillers and drips and I.Vs and whatnot. Within 10 hours of being out of surgery i was up and walking to the toilet, very easily to be honest.

Once a day the Nurses would give me an injection for sickness, which to be honest, i didn't have much of, 2 disovable Co-Codemol for the pain, which i didn't have much of and every time it ran out, give me a new bag of fluid. Now and again, to bring a temperature down (which i only had cos the ward was like an oven), they'd give me a Paracetamol drip too.

At one point my surgeon popped up to tell me that he had intended to remove 75% on my stomach, but when he was in there, found it alot easier than he expected, so removed alot more. So i'm assuming i hit the 85% bracket.

The day after, i was started on a liquid diet. Drinking water and eating Clear Soup. But soo after i was having jelly and ice cream too.

Ye, so that's whats happened. I'm home now and feeling fantastic. I'm sure i've lost weight already. I've got to carry on the liquid diet for 2-4 weeks, then for 2 weeks after that i can eat mush/baby food consistency. Then for 2 weeks after that i can have finely chopped up and mashed food and then finally solids.

So at the moment, i'm drinking half glasses of milk, eating loads of soup, water, diluted fruit juices and yoghurts.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions, so if you got any, ask away!!

Latest posts

Back