• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Hearing on Mass. Height/Weight Discrimination Bill -Public Hearing March 25th

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I just recieved an email from the NYC-NAAFA group on this upcoming public hearing on the Massachusetts Height/Weight Discrimination Bill. I wanted to share the information on this Forum. I am not sure if this information was posted on any previous threads- if so , please just provide the link of any previous post to your replies. If- not here is the info...

================================================
Hearing on Massachusetts Height/Weight Discrimination Bill, Mar. 25
Posted on March 11, 2008 by kate harding

I’m just gonna do a whole lot of quoting Marilyn Wann here:

It’s time to make history and get some fat civil rights in Massachusetts. (Actually, civil rights for people of all sizes.)

So I invite you to come testify in Boston, and to spread the word to other people who might come testify.

Here’s the important info for people who will testify at the public hearing before the labor committee:

H. 1844 public hearing
Tuesday, March 25, 2pm
Massachusetts State House in Boston
Room A-2

Our legislation is the only item on the agenda for this hearing, so there’ll be no waiting around. People should be prepared to speak for a few minutes, two or three minutes, no more than 5 minutes, I imagine.

The labor committee’s recommendation can make or break this legislation.

A little background: The sponsor of this bill, state rep Byron Rushing, has introduced height/weight anti-discrimination legislation , has introduced height/weight anti-discrimination legislation every year he’s been in office. This year, however, is the first year
he’s had staff time to move the legislation at all. So this year is the good time for fat pride community to show up and speak up.

And if you can’t testify…

Here’s a phone number for the State House in Massachusetts, where the operator can direct state residents to the voicemail of their specific state representative.

It will be very helpful in getting the height/weight anti-discrimination bill (H. 1844) passed to have people make quick calls to their reps.

Here’s the number: (617) 722-2000

They should say the bill is very important to them. They should ask how the Rep. is voting on it. (Asking how they’ll vote means they have to get back to the person, which increases attention for the bill.)

Get out there and make this happen, Massachusetts…ians, and anyone else

Get out there and make this happen, Massachusetts…ians, and anyone else who’d like to testify! (If you’re not familiar with the bill, Sheana’s got some background for you here.

http://www.seeworthy.org/2007/03/13/massachusetts-h-1844/

And if you do want to testify, please contact Marilyn at
(marilyn at fatso dot com) and let her know you’ll be coming.

Also, if you’re in the mood for a little more activism after that, why not submit a video to COFRA’s Dare to Show Your Face project?

http://www.bigfatblog.com/cofra-announces-dare-show-your-face

------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://kateharding.net/2008/03/11/hearing-on-massachusetts-heightweight-discrimination-bill-mar-25/
=======================================================

Latest posts

Back