• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Hip Replacements Now Okayed in British and Canadian Study

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
In looking up hip replacement articles for Violet, I was surprised to accidentally find this study. I have heard nothing about it on the news or in the popular magazines. (I guess they just want to report on stuff critical of fat patients.) Anyhoo, I thought you guys would be interested in this summary of the article.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011 Mar;93(3):321-5. (Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery British Volume)

Does morbid obesity affect the outcome of total hip replacement?: an analysis of 3290 THRs.
McCalden RW, Charron KD, MacDonald SJ, Bourne RB, Naudie DD.
Source
London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5A5. [email protected]

Abstract
We evaluated the outcome of primary total hip replacement (THR) in 3290 patients with the primary diagnosis of osteoarthritis at a minimum follow-up of two years. They were stratified into categories of body mass index (BMI) based on the World Health Organisation classification of obesity. Statistical analysis was carried out to determine if there was a difference in the post-operative Western Ontario and McMaster Universities osteoarthritis index, the Harris hip score and the Short-Form-12 outcome based on the BMI. While the pre- and post-operative scores were lower for the group classified as morbidly obese, the overall change in outcome scores suggested an equal if not greater improvement compared with the non-morbidly obese patients. The overall survivorship and rate of complications were similar in the BMI groups although there was a slightly higher rate of revision for sepsis in the morbidly obese group. Morbid obesity does not affect the post-operative outcome after THR, with the possible exception of a marginally increased rate of infection. Therefore withholding surgery based on the BMI is not justified.

Latest posts

Back