• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

How to Handle a Situation Like This

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterbelly

Melting in the desert
This evening, I was invited over to my sister's house for dinner. She had also invited her father, step-mother, and step-sister. I arrived fairly early so that I could help my sister cook and chit chat with her while the other guests arrived. Eventually, my sister's father shows up, but he's by himself. I've been around him on multiple occasions since I moved closer to my sister. I've never had an issue with him, his wife, or stepdaughter, except for today.

After he arrived, I greeted him with a hug and offered him a glass of tea. He looks at me and tells me that he has a solution to my weight problem. I asked him what the solution was and he tells me "Byetta." I said "that's for people with blood sugar issues, which I don't have." He goes on to tell me about his close friend that has diabetes and was prescribed Byetta and he's lost 100+ pounds since taking the medication. Again, I stated that I'm not diabetic and that doctors would advise against me taking medication for diabetes if I don't have it. He says to me "there is no way someone your size cannot have diabetes." I'm sure my facial expressions said it all. I was not the least bit amused and somewhat hurt by the comment.

Instead of him shutting up, he tells me I need to loset weight or I'm not going to live past the age of 40. Then he states that he hopes my fiance and I are not planning on having kids because he's certain that I'll get very sick and probably become diabetic and that with my current weight I could have a heart attack, if pregnant. But the dagger of them all, was him telling me that he was positive that Dan would find me more attractive if I were much thinner, and that for my own good I should lose weight.

I'm sitting there, speechless with big tears rolling down my face and no one is shutting this guy up. I'm clearly upset by his comments, but my sister sits there like nothing has happened. Finally, I got up, grabbed my purse and left without saying anything to anyone at all.

I drove around for a few minutes and told myself that I was better than that and I wasn't going to take shit off some 65 year old asshole. So, I came back to my sister's house after stopping to grab a Mt. Dew. When I walked back into my sister's house everyone had started eating dinner already. I sat at the table, put my Mt. Dew on the table and the asshole says "see, right there is going to cause you to have diabetes and gain more weight. You should curb that habit."

I was beyond livid now. I told him that he should learn to keep his comments to himself and that I didn't appreciate him being rude. He tells me that he's only trying to help me. GAG ME!!!!

Instead of my sister saying something to her father, she rips into me about me being rude to her father. That was it...I left shortly after that because I didn't want to deal with the drama anymore.

It's been a long time since I've encountered people like this who are so rude to fat people. I'm sure I could have handled the situation differently, but I don't know how, since I felt cornered. :(

Back