• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

I am officially addicted to some new music...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edens_heel

I was in HMV the other day (for those not in the know, it's a Canadian chain of record/cd/dvd stores), searching aimlessly for something new and off the beaten path. Fortunately the downtown Vancouver location is 3 stories and has a lot of indie stuff - my haven. Anyway, I ended up finding a few things that I hadn't heard before... maybe my addictions will spread (if there's one thing I can spread, it's addiction)

Mates of State - Bring it Back - Very mellow and kind of abstracted. It's similar to stuff like Modest Mouse in that no one song has a pattern, but rather seems to be like a narrative, following through to a climax. Songs to try - Running Out, Nature and the Wreck, Punchlines.

Maritime - Glass Floors - We The Vehicles - Both albums are lovely, like barenaked Ladies in tone and voice, but a little bit like the Shins in structure. Songs to try - Parade of Punk Rock T-Shirts, Someone Has to Die, Sleep Around.

The Go Team - Fire, Lightening, Strike! - Think Scooby Doo meets Linus and Lucy, eating cereal on the floor in your pyjamas, but with a hell of a beat. Songs to try - Bottle Rocket, Ladyflash, Huddle Formation.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm - Not really sure how to describe this group. Feels like Electronica, but with instrumentation and narrative structure. Songs to try - Like Eating Glass, Little Things, Blue Light, Luno.

The O.A.O.T.'s (The One and Only Typicals) - just found out about this punk trio this week. I just got into Grey's Anatomy and it was played in the first episode, right when George is going into surgery for the first time. Got stuck in my head for three days until I found it for download. Classic punk in the best way, upbeat and fast. Songs to try - Dance, Accelerator, On and On, Inaudible.

Islands - Return to the Sea - A lot like Wolf Parade, very abstract stuff, but also very satisfying in a seriously experimental way. Songs to try - Rough Gem, Where There's A Will There's A Whalebone.

Band of Horses - Everything All the Time - Possibly the most relaxed, mellow and downright beautiful album I've bought in years. Songs to try - St. Augustine, I go to the Barn because I like the.

Pointed Sticks - Waiting for the Real Thing - I just love the song Somebody's Mom.

Okay, I think I've done my damage for the evening. Don't know if anyone will get a kick out of this, but I have been so into these lately that I felt the need to share. Enjoy!

-Andrew

Latest posts

Back