• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Is the auto industry losing touch with reality?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you hang around long enough you get to see how things change, and not always for the better. For a good long time, an average US-made vehicle cost $3,000. Yes, it's true. Then things got more expensive in a hurry. I recall reading a review in a car mag that wondered whether the US public was ready to pay $7,000 for a full-size Chevy. Apparently yes, and then some. And now it's welcome to the era of $30,000 econo boxes and $60,000 Toyotas.

I've been car shopping as one of my vehicles needs replacement. And a bit of poking around has me truly baffled. At a time where the populace at large is hurting, people are losing jobs, home values and investments have all but evaporated, and the auto industry is selling millions fewer cars than three years ago, the new motto seems to be to maximize profit by selling fewer vehicles at absurdly inflated prices. Apparently, that is more profitable than selling affordable transportation without such wonders as butt warmers, rear cameras, lane change sensing, air-conditioned cup holders, massage chairs, rear seat video, and 21-speaker audio systems, etc., etc.

So looking around, I see $42,000 Ford Edges that don't even have the AWD that came standard in my $26,000 2007 model. Not in a mood for a $42k Ford, I looked at Audi that advertises the little Q5 crossover for just $35k. Well, you can't actually find that one. What's offered has enough options to boost the sticker to over $50k.

What's wrong with this picture? Have we really become a world where the norm is paying $90,000 for a luxo SUV or sedan, or is the auto industry pricing itself out of the market? Everyone needs transportation, but at the cost of a small home?

Don't get me wrong. I love cars. Love reading the car magazines with all the Astons, Bentleys, Porsches, Lambos, etc. It just seems that with much more income I am far less able to buy a decent vehicle than I used to.

Latest posts

Back