• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Jeanne Toombs, Fat Rights Activist ---RIP

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIRANYC

I am sure some of you might know this already... but seeing as I got home very late from work and was going through emails.. I had to lick my wounds a little before writing something.

Jeanne Toombs, Fat Rights activist and board of directors member for NAAFA, passed on into eternal rest last night of complications from pneumonia.

She was a life long size acceptance/fat rights activist. To get a better idea of her, for those who did not know her, I will copy and paste the message sent out from Marilyn Wann. However, I would first like to say that I did meet and know Jeaane and thought her to be a great gal, and very pleasant. She inspired me to testify at the committee hearing in Boston on March 25th. I was happy to come up from NYC to do so, but sorry that she could not see the fruits of her labor--not yet anyway. If you are in MA, I encourage you to call your state representative and senators! It is people like her that help to make the world better for those of size in the future.

Especially, personally, I would like to add that she and I both gave interviews to Moscow's (as in Russia!) Channel One [Pervaya Kanal] for their series on America. Jeanne and I hd had a few chats in regards to a release form they needed, and asked me to pass on to her as well as the upcoming committee hearing. Once I get a chance to get a copy of the tape from friends in Brooklyn, I plan to post it on You Tube, so you can she her exuberence and spirit. I was honored to have been featured in that same broadcast. She continues to be an inspiration. My big wish for you Jeanne, is to have this bill, H. 1844 named after you! I remember her collecting signatures at the Popular Culture Conference last year... and to have a dream realised is always an accomplishment. May you rest in peace, dear soul.... and may perpetual light shine upon you.

You can visit NAAFA's MySpace page for more information, and donations in lieu of flowers were asked to be sent to NAAFA.

from Marilyn Wann........................................................................

Jeanne was in the ICU last week and was sad to miss testifying at the
State House in Boston. She was a lifelong Massachusetts resident and a
member of NAAFA since the 1980s.

Jeanne was a joyful and talented person who brought her music and her
sense of fun and theater to the New England chapter of NAAFA and to
the national NAAFA conventions. Everyone joked and said, "Yes, Ms.
Toombs," but we also all eagerly awaited her next skit production. Her
showmanship and her delight were expansive. I can still see her
conducting the chorus at the Million Pound March, 10 years ago in LA.
Whether the purpose was entertainment or liberation, Jeanne knew how
to put on a great show!

Jeanne was a positive, gentle, kind, effective ambassador of size
acceptance. Her recent work in support of H. 1844 in Massachusetts, a
bill to eliminate discrimination on the basis of height and weight,
was wonderful. Passage of this bill, in her home state, meant so much
to Jeanne. I feel angry and stunned by her terribly early death. I
also feel rededicated to winning passage of a civil rights law where
she lived.

I hope people here will help make Jeanne's hopes for this legislation
reality.

I understand from Jeanne's family that she asked people to make
donations to NAAFA in lieu of flowers

This is the first time I ever started a thread, and, I believe, my second post--ever. i would like to put some links in, but don't know how, so if anyone can help/offer advice; I'd be very appreciative.

Back