Marijuana and gaining

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

yayfat

Found this old thread* with last post in 2010. (Any others you know of, please post.) More relevant than ever with more & more states moving to decriminalization & legalization.

Overall, lots of studies indicating pot smokers have leaner BMIs on average. Example**. Lots of personal testimonials to that effect on 'reddit' or similar site. Only a few topics & testimonials that they credited pot with making them heavier. One thing I haven't seen in those studies is the BMI standard deviation or any statistical measure of the variation within groups.

Any experience yourself? Were you smoking pot and also gaining weight & do you think the pot help or hurt your gain?

*Smoking pot "Smoking Pot"
**Are cannabis users less likely to gain weight? Results from a national 3-year prospective study "Are cannabis users less likely to gain weight? Results from a national 3-year prospective study" International Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 48, Issue 5, October 2019, Pages 1695–1700, Are cannabis users less likely to gain weight? Results from a national 3-year prospective study

penguin

Fnord
DM Supporter
DimensionsModel
I guess it depends on how much they have and how frequently they have it. Getting stoned doesn’t usually make you want to be more active, and the munchies certainly don’t make you want to diet 😂 I used to smoke a lot of it in my 20s, but I was unintentionally gaining weight anyway. It also made me horny, so I can’t say if any weight change was a direct result of it or not.

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
When I used to smoke weed I became ravenous, so planned massive food hauls of Chinese or pizza before settling for the night. It was inevitable that I would have gained at the time because I just wanted to eat or get it on. It would definitely have helped my weight gain, though it was never intentional.

EmilyEW

Funny, in my entire life I never tried to smoke marihuana - not even a single time, not even a whiff.
How does it actually feel being high on marihuana?
I know, getting high may be hard to describe... like how does Tuesday taste? But still, I am curious. Sorry I must sound like a little kid 🤔

penguin

Fnord
DM Supporter
DimensionsModel
I would feel relaxed and giggly, dopey and brilliant, horny and hungry. I liked to smoke with others, as it’s a fun group drug. Edibles are great if you can’t smoke where you live, just keep in mind it will take 20-30 minutes to kick in, so don’t have more!

EmilyEW

I like the edible idea. Cookies, can't go wrong with a good girl scout cookies spiked with some grass. Unless you have some other suggestion. I am all ears. (Yuck!)
Getting horny and hungry is an interesting combo. I can swear I never experienced that. I usually get horny when I am catastrophically stuffed. I wish I can blush, but I can't find that smiley so this has to do for now: 😋

I think I should gain (pun intended) some confidence and walk into one of those stores... I am right now in the country where it is perfectly legal. Maybe it is time to try it! If I get horribly fat as a result of it, I'll send you a thank you note.

Last edited:

penguin

Fnord
DM Supporter
DimensionsModel
The munchies are a well known side effect of getting stoned, but I don’t know how common getting horny is. It definitely does it to me, especially if I’m with the right company. If you’re into feeding and/or gaining, then it could be something worth trying!

I used to make awesome edible choc chip cookies or brownies (so many, many years ago now), so my big advice is to make sure you label them! Have your munchies snacks separate from your edibles!

EmilyEW

So how do you make them, do you just yank marihuana into a cookie?
Actually, I probably don't want to know. I am exceptional at eating cookies but terrible at baking them and this sounds like a recipe to screw it all up. One can't be perfect in everything.
I bet those marihuana stores would have some cookies, maybe I should start with that instead of trying to make them. Chocolate chip with a spoonful of weed. What can go wrong!

yayfat

About my weight and past smoking, hard for me to say. I was off and on over the years w/ regard to the frequency I smoked, and off and on with my food intake and intentions and body weight. I can't recall any timing associations between these, but there may have been.

Recently, I've taken up again. Very few 'new' experiences so far, small amounts and this time no alcohol at all (haven't had any alcohol for over a year now.) I get the 'munchies' somewhat in the hours after smoking, but in the day or two afterward, seem to be less hungry. May also be an effect of me being near my top weight & at a point that body just won't go any higher.

Main reason for smoking before was friends did it. Since over a decade ago I'm no longer a part of that group. Miss them yet don't. Surely don't miss the excessive drinking.

Not sure I'll keep up smoking; not sure I actually enjoy it. Today, with legalization, there are different 'strains' that have different and possibly repeatable effects, so that once I learn that type 'A' helps and type 'B' doesn't, I can buy 'A' instead of just using the one type available 'on the street' at any given time. By 'help', I mean, help me lead a better life than I have. Tend to be depressed and anxious, and sluggish getting things done at home. Pot may not help at all, but since it's easier than ever to try, and with all the distinct types, thought I'd give it a try.

So, as far as 'gaining' goes, for me it may actually be like the study says. Less interest in food overall, that leads to lower weight. That may actually not be a bad thing for me. Perhaps I am rather chunky enough with my BMI near 35 and with body possibly unwilling to go higher. Really, too early to say since (recently) it's only in the past week that I've smoked any at all, and so far only very small amounts.

yayfat

Actually, I probably don't want to know. I am exceptional at eating cookies but terrible at baking them and this sounds like a recipe to screw it all up. One can't be perfect in everything.
I bet those marihuana stores would have some cookies, maybe I should start with that instead of trying to make them. Chocolate chip with a spoonful of weed. What can go wrong!
Whatever you do, not good to just eat the buds raw. Not that you or I would... but I read something about heat being required to convert it to a psychoactive form.

penguin

Fnord
DM Supporter
DimensionsModel
We would cook leaf into butter, and use the butter for cooking. We may have cooked it longer than necessary, but they made some damn potent cookies. If it’s legal where you are, I recommend buying it rather than making it yourself. You don’t smoke the leaf of the plant, so it’s not something that’s usually sold (at least around here, where it’s not legal). It also has a very strong scent while cooking it, and after it’s made, so if there are close neighbours or people who you want to hide it from, it might not be the best option.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Cannabis always makes me as sick as a dog. So, it doesn't help me to gain.

However, we have a "green" green grocers in town and they sell something called "hemp and nut treats". It made with Cannabis sativa seeds but it's a food grade Cannabis guarantee'd not to get you high. I can eat them without suffering any ill effects. I notice that they disappear faster than anything else, which I ever contribute to events.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Anecdotally, just from hanging around various fat sights on the web over the years, it seems that a pretty high percentage of non-feedee super-sized folk are regular marijuana users. I guess it hits different people in different ways, and while some people may not gain much while using it, others who are maybe more prone to gaining may gain a lot, between munchies and soothing away size related anxieties?

I've only ever used it socially, and never noticed a strong 'munchies' reaction (then again, often when it was being passed around there was a lot of food on hand, and I'm generally always willing to eat, so maybe I just didn't notice?). But I do tend to find that it leaves me very much lost in my own head, which isn't the best for socializing, so I've tended not to consume much.

Blackbean

Hare Club For Men Member
I guess it depends on how much they have and how frequently they have it. Getting stoned doesn’t usually make you want to be more active, and the munchies certainly don’t make you want to diet 😂 I used to smoke a lot of it in my 20s, but I was unintentionally gaining weight anyway. It also made me horny, so I can’t say if any weight change was a direct result of it or not.
Depends on the strain I like the less sleepy/couch lock sorts, don't get munchies if I vape after a meal & sex is a major perk if not prime incentive. 👍

Blackbean

Hare Club For Men Member
Back when I used to smoke you could only get two strains, bush and hydro, based on how they grew 😂 times have changed!
I go back to the 70's so there was less, just occasionally started dry herb vaping for the first time this century early 20, yeah much different now.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Anecdotally, just from hanging around various fat sights on the web over the years, it seems that a pretty high percentage of non-feedee super-sized folk are regular marijuana users. I guess it hits different people in different ways, and while some people may not gain much while using it, others who are maybe more prone to gaining may gain a lot, between munchies and soothing away size related anxieties?

I've only ever used it socially, and never noticed a strong 'munchies' reaction (then again, often when it was being passed around there was a lot of food on hand, and I'm generally always willing to eat, so maybe I just didn't notice?). But I do tend to find that it leaves me very much lost in my own head, which isn't the best for socializing, so I've tended not to consume much.
I wonder if the same trends are found with other recreational drugs. Personally, I find that I have bad reactions to both cannabis and alcohol. Neither of them cause weight gain for me. In fact, they make me lose weight, which is why I use neither of them.

Do other people have similar experiences, where other drugs have the same effects as cannabis on their weight?

wrenchboy

Funny, in my entire life I never tried to smoke marihuana - not even a single time, not even a whiff.
How does it actually feel being high on marihuana?
I know, getting high may be hard to describe... like how does Tuesday taste? But still, I am curious. Sorry I must sound like a little kid 🤔
I smoked quite a bit of weed in my twenties.
I got a feeling of being extremely relaxed and somewhat euphoric. I didn't want to do much of anything. I listened to alot of music and I was able to achieve a real understanding of what the music was about and I could dive deep into the groove of the rhythm.
Conversation was difficult because I would constantly and very easily loose my train of thought.
I stopped because I started getting very paranoid. Almost but not quite panicky at times.
I hope that answers your question.

EmilyEW

Well, I visited one of those new stores today, and I was very impressed. It loked inside like an apple store, clean spacious, ordering terminals, product displays, everything was labeled and properly explained, which strain and how much THC and CBD and the differences.
I bought high CBD oil that I will try for migraine, but also got a little pouch with chocolate and a drink. 😄 to see how other things work. I did not try them yet, waiting for the evening...when it is calm. I was hoping to look at the great conjunction today, but the skies are like mud. Maybe after a bite from my chocolate, I could see Jupiter and Saturn.
There goes my pot virginity.

yayfat

Some people seem to do very well on it, others not so much. I'm in a different situation now than I was years ago, wondered if it would be enjoyable and helpful more than before. Not so sure; maybe not.

Latest posts