Middle Eastern Women: Weight Gain?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

RevolOggerp

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but was wondering if women of the Middle East gain weight because it's part of their culture or customs.

The reason for asking is because a lot of Middle Eastern women that I know who are married or over the age of 25 have gained weight or are bigger than average.

Is it custom, culture, genetics, or just coincidence?

KHayes666

Go away
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but was wondering if women of the Middle East gain weight because it's part of their culture or customs.

The reason for asking is because a lot of Middle Eastern women that I know who are married or over the age of 25 have gained weight or are bigger than average.

Is it custom, culture, genetics, or just coincidence?
I have absolutely no idea what goes on over there, but I went to high school with a middle eastern girl who transfered to our school my sophomore year. She proceeded to blow up like a balloon in between sophomore and senior year. Too bad she was suicidal...would have been fun to see how much she's grown now.

KHayes666

Go away
Would be fun to know if the young woman ever got past her crippling depression.
Probably not....we were involved in the senior class play and she would routinely cut herself in the girls bathroom, I even had to talk her out of it once during rehearsal. I looked for her on facebook and myspace a few years ago and couldn't find her....I pray she only just doesn't have them and not the worst cas e scenario.

RevolOggerp

What about Indian women (not Native Indian)? Or... women of Hindu culture?

I've always thought they were mostly of Hindu culture, but everyone's always telling me that I'm labeling them wrong and they should be labeled as Middle Eastern. So, I've lost track of who's who.

Anyways, I have a friend who would work out to keep her figure... but around the age of 25, she stopped working out. She got plump in all the right places and I thought she looked hot. I have a few other friends who are like this as well.

Whenever the weight-gain subject comes up (not by me, but by someone else), they get defensive about it. So, I could never confirm whether it was true or not.

I have a hard time looking it up online. When I try "Indian", I get a million results related to Native Indians. If I try "indian weight gain", I get a million results related to Native Indian weight loss groups. :(

Perhaps, someone could point me in the right direction on where to research?

Adrian

??
It is probably related to life style. Limited time beyond the home, a cloister environment, a much higher rate of pregnancies, etc. are all the sort of things. While they walk when shopping it is seldom at a fast pace, so the exercise is not strenuous.

I Googled, "Indian women" + "southern Asia" + "overweight" and got a bunch of hits. I did really explore them though.

Adrian

ssbbwlover2

It is probably related to life style. Limited time beyond the home, a cloister environment, a much higher rate of pregnancies, etc. are all the sort of things. While they walk when shopping it is seldom at a fast pace, so the exercise is not strenuous.

I Googled, "Indian women" + "southern Asia" + "overweight" and got a bunch of hits. I did really explore them though.

Adrian
You are on to something, I think. I have friends from the middle east and visited different countries there. It seems like the weather and the lack of activity in general does result in little strenuous exercise.

gwydion

I am in despair!
I have absolutely no idea what goes on over there, but I went to high school with a middle eastern girl who transfered to our school my sophomore year. She proceeded to blow up like a balloon in between sophomore and senior year. Too bad she was suicidal...would have been fun to see how much she's grown now.
*snerk*

``Too bad she had a crippling mental disorder, cuz DAMN, she'd be hot if she hadn't tried to kill herself!!''

Yeah, that's well-adjusted and a totally fucking appropriate way to think.

Compassionate too.

KHayes666

Go away
*snerk*

``Too bad she had a crippling mental disorder, cuz DAMN, she'd be hot if she hadn't tried to kill herself!!''

Compassionate too.
*snerk* Leave it to you to fly in the face of propriety.

The point I was trying to make was relevant of the topic of middle eastern girls and putting on weight. I later in another post (which obviously you didn't read) said how I had to stop her a few times from hurting herself. I took no pleasure in her misery and I was trying to say that if she didn't have that "crippling mental disorder" then we would have seen how the topic of the original discussion would have turned out.

Oh and try to tone down the language please, you'll get much better results :)

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
*snerk*

Compassionate too.
Your wife is a lucky, lucky woman, sir.

Fairest Epic

Well i am middle eastern ish...and i seem to be oh so naturally fat. Not married, so i cant really say much other than what i have seen in my family.

My aunt (who is lebanese) gained weight after marriage, but i dont think it was a cultural choice. It was quite a bit of weight. She had to have gone from around 105 to like 300 ish. I have never heard of it being a cultural thing. She has kids, and i think it was just a result of that and/or genetics. She dropped like 50 lbs as a result of going back so work later.

Another aunt of mine, who is egyptian, also gained weight after marriage. She gained probably 60+ ish lbs. A lot less than my other aunt, but it was still present. It wasnt a cutural thing, to my knowledge, but even her mother did the same thing: after marriage, the chub seems to come on. My aunt lost a bit of the weight after that with help of her husband. He's a triathelete and trained her for a bit, but she's still a bit curvy (probably a size 16). She also had breast cancer and seemed to lose weight as she went under treatment for that.

All i can say is that i have noticed the same thing a bit (gaining weight after marriage), but it's not always true. I'm thinking it's more of a lifestyle change than anything affecting their weight. I mean they both had kids and started to stay home. They also received some inheritance, so they no longer work, which could also have some bearing on their weight loss/gain. The middle eastern women in my family do seem mor prone to gain weight while the caucasian women seem to remain more thin. So, my thought is that it is lifestyle and a tid bit of genetics.

EDIT: eek! i almost forgot about our food! seems high in fat, calories, carbs, salt, and oils....at least how i have learned to make it. I mean couldnt our diet also have a lil bearing on our weight? I know how to cook my family's food, but i have not learned much else, so i can only speak for us.

sorry for the spiel!

LalaCity

I remember reading an American journalist's account of his travels through the middle east years ago. One of the stories that stuck with me was his visit to a club in Cairo that featured belly dancers. The girl the manager brought out specially to entertain the writer was well past 400 lbs., from what he could tell. When asked if this was the preferred body type for a dancer in Egypt, the manager frowned and said, "No -- but do not worry, she is young and there is room for much more growth!"

He also remarked that between performances she was backstage being fed lots and lots of sweet and fattening halva to help her figure along.

So from what I gathered, at least in some parts of Arabia, men prefer a rather zaftig form...

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
*snerk* Leave it to you to fly in the face of propriety.

The point I was trying to make was relevant of the topic of middle eastern girls and putting on weight. I later in another post (which obviously you didn't read) said how I had to stop her a few times from hurting herself. I took no pleasure in her misery and I was trying to say that if she didn't have that "crippling mental disorder" then we would have seen how the topic of the original discussion would have turned out.

Oh and try to tone down the language please, you'll get much better results :)
Your post as pointed out by two people already is offensive, and in my opinion much more so than one swear word. You need to learn to open your mouth without letting your belly rumble, khayes. Trying to cover your faux pas up in the next post, doesn't undo the first one.

vardon_grip

Consistently smarmy
I cannot comment on Middle Eastern women in America. I can comment on women of the Middle East. I have spent a little time in that part of the world and saw very few women of size. Regardless of size, they are very beautiful people.

supersoup

Nice to meet you beanbag.
*snerk*

Compassionate too.
agreed, on all fronts. i love you joe!!
Your wife is a lucky, lucky woman, sir.
again, agreed, on all fronts! betsy is so lucky, as are you joe!!

Your post as pointed out by two people already is offensive, and in my opinion much more so than one swear word. You need to learn to open your mouth without letting your belly rumble, khayes. Trying to cover your faux pas up in the next post, doesn't undo the first one.
aaaaaaaaaaa-greed!

the end.

Kortana

Feelin' Cheeky!
I dated an arab for several years when I was younger and he and his family explained it to me. They beleive that women with additional weight on them are considered healthier. They have an easier time bearing children and child birth is much easier.

It is also a sign that the family is doing well financially.

Their traditional meals are also very rich- although many different veggies are used they eat with alot of bread and rices. Pita bread is much heaslthier however when your scooping up rice and meat into it, it's alot of carbs.

Awesome food actually...yum yum.

exile in thighville

groups/347570880589/
*snerk*

Compassionate too.
Oh stop. He reinforced his concern already and his post was on topic. He thought of her because he was attracted to her...so what? Maybe if she knew her body image was attractive to people like us her state of mind could've improved, even a little. This was high school, where stuff like that can swallow your entire life.

I'm rather shocked at the reactions to this post.

Shosh

Susannah
I have a few mates that are Lebanese and the reason they are so beautiful and curvaceous is that Middle Eastern food is to die for! I love it so much myself.:D Who would want to eat other stuff when you can eat Israeli and Lebanese food. So yummy. Beats KFC.:bow:

Latest posts