Quantcast

"Miss England finalist is fat, lazy and a poster girl for ill health"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LoveBHMS

default title
If she thinks Anorexia isn't a problem, she's mistaken. It's still killing more people in the US than it supposed opposite, but one life and one impressionable mind is one life and one impressionable mind.
Jon, I rarely if ever disagree with you, but this is one time i really do. First off i'm not certan we can compare anorexia and obesity, anorexia is very clearly a disease whereas obesity might be considered a sympton of disease rather than the disease itself. I'm sure there is some disagreement on this, but it's clear in many cases, somebody becomes obese due to other medical conditions. Even if somebody does not have a medical condition that causes obesity and is just obese for lifestyle reasons, i think it's fair to say in most cases, when somebody dies it's not from being fat, but from the effects of eating a high fat/high sodium diet or not exercising.

I also don't think she said anorexia is not a problem, but realistically there are more fat people than people with anorexia.

Paquito

don't July to me
Since my dumbass forgot to save my comment to this lovely article, let me try to relieve it, I believe the focal points were:
-how dare you call this beautiful woman a bad role model, this is precisely why so many larger people are depressed and get eating disorders, you stuck up prick. I know a million guys that would take her over your heartless and cruel ass any day of the week. Besides, what right do you have to give health advice, those crash diet books your constantly crapping out can cause serious harm to people, and make that "ugly" fat come back. Take your diet books and shove them up your bony ass.

Then again, I could be paraphrasing, but i think I did a decent job.

And the fact that out of 30 comments so far, the only 3 that agree with the dumb cunt are the publicly shown ones. Why not go a little diverse and show the ones that show what the public really thinks?

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
Jon, I rarely if ever disagree with you, but this is one time i really do. First off i'm not certan we can compare anorexia and obesity, anorexia is very clearly a disease whereas obesity might be considered a sympton of disease rather than the disease itself. I'm sure there is some disagreement on this, but it's clear in many cases, somebody becomes obese due to other medical conditions. Even if somebody does not have a medical condition that causes obesity and is just obese for lifestyle reasons, i think it's fair to say in most cases, when somebody dies it's not from being fat, but from the effects of eating a high fat/high sodium diet or not exercising.

I also don't think she said anorexia is not a problem, but realistically there are more fat people than people with anorexia.
*It's* (That's to correct my mistake from before: I just noticed that)
I agree with you, but it's a matter of numbers of deaths: Not the number of people that "Have" it.

And she said the following:
"It’s a total fallacy that young girls are being pressured into near-starving themselves into being too thin.

Take a look around you and you will see that the total reverse is true.

Teenage girls aren’t in danger of falling victim to an epidemic of anorexia - but of obesity."

Very dangerous thinking in my book.

LoveBHMS

default title
*It's* (That's to correct my mistake from before: I just noticed that)
I agree with you, but it's a matter of numbers of deaths: Not the number of people that "Have" it.

And she said the following:
"It’s a total fallacy that young girls are being pressured into near-starving themselves into being too thin.

Take a look around you and you will see that the total reverse is true.

Teenage girls aren’t in danger of falling victim to an epidemic of anorexia - but of obesity."

Very dangerous thinking in my book.
Yes and no. We do know that there have been dangerous lifestyle changes in the Western World in the past twenty five years or so. More fast food joints, more processed garbage, Lunchables, Big Gulps, funding cuts to schools that have taken away recess, more time spent with Xboxes and flat screen tv than hopscotch and bicycle. None of that is any healthier than starvation or throwing up on purpose.

As we've said before, promoting a healthy lifestyle and body image is important, not one size over another.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
Yes and no. We do know that there have been dangerous lifestyle changes in the Western World in the past twenty five years or so. More fast food joints, more processed garbage, Lunchables, Big Gulps, funding cuts to schools that have taken away recess, more time spent with Xboxes and flat screen tv than hopscotch and bicycle. None of that is any healthier than starvation or throwing up on purpose.

As we've said before, promoting a healthy lifestyle and body image is important, not one size over another.
I wasn't claiming that it was. I said number of deaths (And I'm not talking about lifestyle), and you just said that those unhealthy lifestyle concepts are irrespective of sides, which I agree with.

If we're talking about lifestyle, that is a whole different ball game, and that probably is killing more people than Anorexia. But people always use the above comment (In the context that weight is a direct measure of that) to justify their views. Neither are size exclusive terms.

Judge_Dre

I cannot believe what I just read:huh: I knew the British tabloids were nasty, but this was particularly vile.

Mr Happy

Chicks dig scars
........of that hateful, bigoted, right-wing rag that is the daily mail....frankly, i wouldn't want to wipe my arse with it.....
That about sums it up,

The only other thing I'd like to say is that Chloe is a stunning looking babe and its so nice to see someone with curves being in a compertition like this. From the picture I wouldn't even call Chloe chubby let alone overweight the ignorance displayed in that article goes beyond belief. I also can't believe how many assholes have replied agreeing with the article, this sickens me

jennabelle

Chubby Gaining Princess
I had to stop reading the article because I was so pissed off at the woman writing it. Grrrh....stupid people. Just because you're fat DOES NOT mean you're lazy....or have no self control. GOD! *walks away from thread to cool down a bit*

Mr Happy

Chicks dig scars
A quick google of Chloe provided a few better-written articles by people who aren’t hacks like MONICA GRENFELL

Guess what Monica peddles diet videos so she has money to make out of people feeling bad about their bodies in other words she is a hack writer and louse since she's slagging off a 16 year old girl and all to try to sell more of her videos, I hope Monica sleeps well tonight knowing what a clever person she is picking on teenagers to help her sell books and videos.

What’s more there are plenty of positive stories about Chloe so I think that Monica has misjudged public opinion.

Besides the Sun has a positive story and the Sun holds a lot more power and political influence than the mail in the UK (IMO)

Some nice links with pics of Chloe: -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/yourlife/2008/03/05/yes-you-can-be-size-16-and-sexy-says-miss-england-hopeful-chloe-marshall-89520-20341107/

http://plussize.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/chloe-wins-miss-surrey/

Red

The venom and spite in the writers words is what is the worst thing. If the writer wants to say that obesity is always unhealthy, that is understandable if not true. But to write such a poison laced vicious article is unforgiveable. It made me feel nauseous to see the way that she is laying into that young woman :mad:

Exactly.

I just went to the article and submitted this comment....whether its posted or not...who knows! hehe

'Lady you are deluded! How very dare you berate a confident woman who displays and promotes not 'obesity' or 'fat' as you put it, but that confidence and a healthy self esteem is what all people should be aiming for. Regardless of your size, if you are not happy or confident then whats the point?

I think this article bashing a beautiful girl like Chloe is rich, coming from a woman who makes money out of writing books entitled 'Crash Diet, Lose 7LBS in 7 Days' or 'Revenge Diet'.....

You are quite clearly a women who prays on peoples low self esteem to line your own pocket, so a shameless article such as this one is written with nothing but pound signs in your eyes. Lose 7lb's in 7 days? I didnt realise this was the 'Healthy' outlook to a healthy body? How dare you!

'you've had a broken relationship, lost out on a job or you're simply fed up of your family who take you for granted' My case exactly! An acid tongued wench who prays on others misery!

Vive la Femme! Go Chloe!'

Well done Missy, good reply! And as for the miserable ol' bints on Loose Women, well, It's not the first time they have pissed me off but it should be the last. The only point to watching that show is to check out the bad botox escapades.

Red

No she wouldn't have. There's plenty of backlash against overly-thin models and actors. For some reason people think it's ok to comment on women's bodies, fat or thin. It's sad and I can't imagine being any sort of "celebrity" and always being subject to that.

The thing is, yeah it's an unfortunate article, but are we really surprised? Beauty pageants are unforgivably horrendous exercises in judgment and objectification. They're not about what is normal or even healthy, they're about what is "ideal". They are disgusting. They exist for the sole purpose of picking apart women and determining who is perfect enough.

I don't agree. There might be backlash to overly-thin models and actors in the UK media, but it is generally enveloped in a cloak of concern. Monica Grenfell's article was just plain gleefully venomous.

Red

....oh, red one, do you not realise that you've just described the average bargain break that these muppets actually take, dodgy ships an' all.

Exactly my point :rolleyes:

Each time I spot someone reading The Daily Mail a small part of me dies.

BigCutieSasha

Fatty McFat Fat
That could constitute assault, the sitting; but in all honesty a therapist isn't needed. No doubt like a lot of people for a lot of causes she's in this for the money. If she can make a few overweight chicks feel bad about themselves with an article she was paid to write she can sell a few more books. If she's writing an article on the subject that encourages people to buy her products we can hardly consider her objective and should thus disregard.
I would think how she talks to fat people would be considered a verbal assault. And lets think realistically here. Would I ACTUALLY go and sit on someone for being rude? No. I would hope someone I was with would trip me and I would "accidentally" fall on her. ;) Maybe even do some "crop dusting" by her just to piss her off.

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
"A role model for ordinary women? No, Miss England finalist is fat, lazy and a poster girl for ill health"

The backlash begins against size 16 Miss England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=554870&in_page_id=1879
According to onlineconversion.com she's a 14 in U.S sizing and thats the most common size worldwide. (Or so I've heard)

So... most women buy a size 14, why isn't she suitable as a role model if the majority of women look like her?

And why should weight influence a persons capability to be a good role model in the first place? :doh:

pani

I don't think there is any comparison to junk food and anorexia and bulemia. A lifetime of a diet high in junkfood raises the risk you MAY get diabetes or heart disease, and such later on in life. It MAY take a few years off the end of your life. Both anorexia and bulemia raise one's risk of serious illness or even death while they are in their teen, twenties and thirties. It is far more a code red situation. Furthermore, she ignores binge dieting, which in another consequence of unrealistic body image. Girls try to be very thin by dieting, and risk falling into the yo-yo cycle which if far worse than staying a constant weight. This woman is obviously threatned by this beautiful contestant and worried people will stop buying into her garbage! Then she would have to go out and make an honest living!

LoveBHMS

default title
I don't think there is any comparison to junk food and anorexia and bulemia. A lifetime of a diet high in junkfood raises the risk you MAY get diabetes or heart disease, and such later on in life. It MAY take a few years off the end of your life. Both anorexia and bulemia raise one's risk of serious illness or even death while they are in their teen, twenties and thirties. It is far more a code red situation. Furthermore, she ignores binge dieting, which in another consequence of unrealistic body image. Girls try to be very thin by dieting, and risk falling into the yo-yo cycle which if far worse than staying a constant weight. This woman is obviously threatned by this beautiful contestant and worried people will stop buying into her garbage! Then she would have to go out and make an honest living!
So it's ok if it will kill you just not NOW?

Actually, one of the indicators of a health crisis is the number of Americans contracting diabetes at younger ages than ever before. (Obviously I mean adult onset, or Type II.) Where it used to be something that happened to older people, we're now seeing Type II onset getting younger and younger, and yes, i believe that is lifestyle related.

If you're talking about a numbers game, the truth is that very few people actually die of anorexia nervosa. I don't know actual numbers, but i'm guessing it's a lot fewer than the number that die from the result of poor lifestyle choices.

Along with Mr. Blaze, I still say there should be more focus on Health at Any Size and less on body image.

Zoom

Rogue
My response (which will probably not appear on the page if their editors have anything to say about it):

Obviously it is a bigoted article against fat people in general, who are always told they are unhealthy without proof given. Dieticians have a profit motive for telling people they shouldn't be fat. They do talk shows and promote books, or perhaps have a diet plan that could make them millions. I'd rather be fat than a dietician any day! (And I'm neither!)
What I am is a Fat Admirer, the kind of guy who always liked his women big. I would like to see more pageants about MY kind of women. And if it offends some people who would prefer everyone were thin, TOUGH. Nobody should try to control what other people think to be right. This includes the author of this article.

Spanky

Freakishly Normal
I wanted to put a positive spin on this. Not on what Fraulein Gestapo of Thinness had to say in her raging asinine article. I wanted to remind people that she is Miss Surrey. The County of Surrey did select her as their representative because she is a beautiful representative and probably just as smart and talented.

Fuck the article. Sometimes the small successes are forgotten in the fray of the overarching "backlash".

Surrey. You rock. I can't say my state or any of the 50 states in the US would ever select a size 16.

County Surrey. Ahead of your time. Kudos. :bow:

-Michael-

Any article that brings up the BMI, unless it is saying how incredibly useless it is and that it should be ignored, immediately loses any of my attention.

Latest posts