• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Monica Chooses a Career - 3

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator
~BBW, Romance, Eating, ~SWG - One BBW heroine displays her confidence while another begins to discover hers

Monica Chooses a Career --- Part III
by Marcie

(The story to date: While Janet Medvine continues to enjoy the just desserts of her subterfuge in trying to fatten classmate Monica Hartman over the attentions of unsuspecting Guy Nesci, Monica and Guy are visiting his parents, There they meet Uncle Giovani of the old school, to whom Monica is administering a lesson while at the same time redefining her larger self; meanwhile Project Medvine surprisingly takes on an unexpected life of its own, fueled by legs on the relationship between Brian and Janet.)

Monica was up before 7:00, unpacking her laptop computer swiftly figuring out how to access the internet from her motel room. By 8:00 she had much of the background data she needed and at 8:00 called her Uncles office in Providence R. I.. He quickly offered his services in arranging the appointment and suggested a few more questions.

With 45 minutes till Guy's arrival (she knew he would be punctual but not early) she bathed and took time to evaluate her body in the full length mirror. She could tell that her thighs had definitely filled out a little and her stomach, no longer washboard hard, was becoming slightly rounded.

She tried to visualize 2-3 lbs more on each calf, 8 more on each thigh, 10-12 on each hip, a solid 20-30 on her belly and another forty on her upper body and arms. That would be a truly Reubenesque figure, nearly 100 lbs more than at present.

Where was this fantasy coming from? She had no idea. But, surprisingly, the thought did not frighten her.

The phone rang and she snapped back into present time. Guy would be here in an a half hour. For the moment, she concluded, no one would think her even plump in properly fitting clothes. Indeed, it was hard even for her to see that she had really gained all that much. But certainly, she decided, new, larger size garments might be a good idea for the next day's adventure.

For now she was merely puzzled about her ten minute reverie as she hastened to get ready. She was sure Guy would be ready for breakfast, and she was already getting hungry as well.

They were planning to spend the day in the famous Faneuil Hall District, dominated by a building constructed in Revolutionary time and still a bustling center for both shopping and politics. But first things first. As soon as Guy arrived they went to a nearby IHOP for a quick breakfast --- or at least as quick as matching orders of country fried steak, scrambled eggs and a large stack of mouthwatering griddle cakes can be consumed.

About half way through the meal her cellular phone sounded. She listen for a moment, smiled and promised to call back shortly. Turning to Guy she asked "Your family restaurant have any small meeting rooms?"

"Yes, we have a couple"

"Good. Your Uncle, his advisor, two from Fidelity plus you and I makes eight for 4:00 tomorrow --- late lunch so that the market will be closed. On occasions like this its customary foe the investors or the Broker Dealer to pick up the tab since we requested the meeting. You want to call them and make the arrangements?"

"Sure," Guy said, somewhat astonished.

"Frankly, we got lucky. His wife's out of town and he wasn't relishing eating alone."

Within fifteen minutes everything was confirmed and Monica gave the go ahead. "Now, this afternoon I need to buy some things and arrange a rent a car --- so do you mind if we split at 3:00 and meet again at my motel at six. If you want we can skip lunch.

"Alright," Guy agreed, "but I have a very nice place in mind for dinner so don't do anything to spoil your appetite"."

They enjoyed the next four hours and Guy took off as agreed. Monica went shopping and purchased a comfortable size 10 business suit and quite roomy size 12 dinner gown.

"For this price I want it to last awhile," she thought. Then, before getting the rental car she had some pastries and milk as a snack. "Just something to take the edge off," she murmured.

She then had her hair done and rushed home just in time to dress and be ready for Guy.

His surprise for the evening was a French cuisine place in nearby Cambridge called Sandrine's Bistro. It was every bit a counterpoint to the Casablanca and Monica was impressed at the choice. For appetizers they respectively had The Napoleon and Porcini Mushroom Ravioli. The former consisted of crispy potato gallettes layered with a salade of smoked trout, fresh broccoli florets, choucroute (french for sauerkraut) tossed in a horseradish dressing and topped with ajulienne of smoked salmon. The latter was a stuffed pasta dish served in a grilled red pepper and roasted tomato sauce with fresh baby leek ragout. And of course he ordered a bottle of champagne.

But, as two evenings before, this was only the beginning. For the main course she had a grilled veal chop with a wild mushroom risotto, fresh asparagus and cortland apple chutney. His entrée was choucroute au Riesling (sauerkraut and boiled potatoes) with roasted goose. Dessert for her featured an Exotic Orange and Papaya Mousse served with a mango coulis garnished with fresh berries -- -while his was an Alsatian Meringue Glacé, best described in English as a Raspberry sorbet & vanilla ice cream surrounded by homemade meringues and topped with fresh whipped cream garnished with fresh berries and raspberry coulis.

The next morning Monica was again up before 7, but this time it was to meet Guy for breakfast, again at the IHOP, before taking a boat tour of Cape Cod harbor. Around noon they enjoyed Reuben sandwiches on board while taking in the view. Then, as the 3:00 hour came, it was time to get down to business.

Monica dropped Guy off at his family's restaurant, then went to pick up John Falstead and his assistant at 3:30. It was a brief five minute drive and they found Uncle Giovani and his broker, Jonathan Turner, waiting. While introductions were still being made Mr. and Mrs. Nesci showed up.

Guy had arranged the meal like a miniature supper --- appetizer, entrée and dessert. Monica stuck to small talk till the main course. Then she flipped open a yellow pad. At the top of each of several pages she had written the questions she had submitted the day before.

Mr. Falstead's prior experience had been successfully shaking up funds that were underperforming - his present appointment was due to a management vacancy in a very successful fund. Did he anticipate changes? Some issues in the portfolio had grown disproportionately - did he anticipate profit taking and rebalancing? 2-3 holdings were in companies with known difficulties. What, if anything, should be done and why? With each question Mr. Turner was given a chance to comment . So was Falstead's assistant. .But it was obvious to everyone that it was the Monica and John show.

After about forty minutes Monica relaxed her interrogation and let John speak on his own. He shared his background and the goals of the fund, doing he best to address what he perceived as the groups concerns. Uncle Giovani asked a few questions, then pronounced John a "sharp young man who deserved a chance." Every smiled and Guy had dessert served.

Monica drove the guests back to their office, then (having checked out from her motel in the morning) went to Guy's home. They were heading for Lowell MA, a town that bills itself as the cradle of the Industrial Revolution. From there it wound be on to the site of the American Stonehenge in New Hampshire and then back to Boston for the big holiday.

"I think you did well --- you even made a believer of Uncle Giovani, " Guy volunteered.

"I'm glad --- he's really not a bad duffer. He just needs to join the 21st century. Sex, race, bloodlines --- they aren't the barriers they were seventy years ago. Even being fat isn't what it used to be."

"You can't be thinking of yourself as fat, can you?"

"It may not be that noticeable as yet, but the way we enjoy skipping down the calorie path, and especially the way I've been packing it away, its happening. Funny thing is, if you don't care, for some reason I don't. But you could get me up to 200 or more in just a couple of years."

"I've known some very capable and attractive women who weigh more than that - my mom and aunts in particular."

"I've noticed --- I just wanted to be sure you approved."

"Its my heritage --- it's the fashion industry and Hollywood that have made life miserable for women in this country, not the Italians. But I thought you wanted to be thin because of your athletics?"

"That's exactly what it was - a decision based on necessity. Actually I was a little plump till Junior High School. Then I made a conscious choice between making the team or making what I felt like to eat. But I'm not going to make sports a career so that's not so important any more. Now it seems my body is pulling the other way."

"And Janet and I have been helping?"

"A little, perhaps. But I've been holding the fork. At least I've had enough background to know how to find clothes and stay healthy."

"You aren't afraid of flak from your family?"

"My younger brother will say 'I told you so.' But my Mom has thought of me as quasi-anorexic for ten years and will be relieved. My Father and grandfather are both doctors who don't make a big deal about pounds on healthy people. They feel that most of the statistics about fat-related illnesses are distorted anyway. Its your opinion I have been most concerned about."

"Will a banana split when we get to Lowell answer the question?"

"By then you may have to put a burger and fries with it Deal?"

"Deal!. I think I see why you weren't that angry about our friend Janet."

"Not really. She's just frustrated and I understood what happened with her. I just hope things are going well".

And indeed, back in Montpelier, Janet was starting to micromanage Leticia's breakfasts and Brian was about to start another initiative..

Flattered by the seemingly unrelated burst of attention from several quarters Janet was in la-la land, blithely overlooking the caloric implications of what was going on. After all, the break was only a few weeks and she normally gained a few pounds or so during the period anyway. Why should this time be any different?

Leticia, who had asked Janet to oversee and advise on breakfasts for the dorm, was preparing excellent egg, bread and cereal dishes each morning. Heavily flavored with other ingredients Janet overlooked the fact the scrambled eggs had an ounce of creamed cheese added for every egg. Or that the Sicilian pancakes with maple syrup also cotained mustard and cheddar cheese as secret ingredients. Indulging in generous portions of the succulent meals, sometimes having seconds, she was consuming nearly 1400 calories most mornings and not even realizing it.

Leticia was surprised when on the fifth day Janet had a suggestion. She praised Leticia's amaretto and almond muffins as well as her cinnamon-raisin breakfast biscuits But, for variety, she suggested, why not do something exotic, such as apricot pistachio strudel with Sicilian marmalade and ice cream.

"Having something daring for breakfast might be a nice treat during the break," she said. Other specialties from her file she supplied to Leticia were eggnog pancakes with cranberry sauce, chocolate French toast, and banana with sour cream waffles. Leticia thanked her graciously, making sure to implement all of them over the next week.

Leticia also picked up on the hint that Janet wasn't counting calories. Having nothing better to do during the day she took to the internet, quickly coming up with specialty items such as breakfast sausage casserole, Maine blueberry compote, cranberry Danish breakfast rounds. almond and ricotta dumplings, and chocolate hazelnut brandy tortes with biscotti. Most of these she prepared in the afternoon when Janet could generously sample and evaluate them which she appreciated doing before her afternoon nap. The next morning. Janet would rave about her pupil's latest concoction and set the pace in devouring them. The calorie count was now at 2000, but Janet had always had a tremendous capacity for good food.

With an afternoon nap Janet wasn't sleepy until quite late - thereby facilitating her tendency to make post-midnight raids on the refrigerator. This habit, generally good for another thousand calories, was facilitated quite innocently by both Brian and Melanie. Each of them, due to early restaurant closing hours, scheduled the meal portion of their activities for early evening.

Others, appreciative of Leticia's efforts, soon began contributing unexpectedly to the cause by taking on lunch and supper responsibilities. Janet, along with Leticia, found herself being offered succulent Rueben sandwiches, soufflés, and casseroles of various types. With everyone feasting she didn't even think of resisting. She would have a comfortably filing lunch, good for another 1000 calories, then take a nap to be ready for the evening, which two nights a week meant another feast with Brian.

On the evening of their next date Brian arrived a little early and in apologetic tone requested to use the telephone. He had been notified of a software problem at one of his family's eateries in Texas. As Janet watched, he placed a collect telephone call and then inquired about the difficulty.

For ten minutes Janet observed him visualize the computer screen and gently coach an inexperienced employee through a problem 1700 miles away. When it was over he praised his callee for being so efficient in helping him! It was a markedly different style than the brusque "you mean you don't know this already?" approach than she had experienced in similar siruations..

"There! That's done, he sighed as he hung up.

"Sorry for the delay!" he exclaimed turning to Janet. "Let's get on the road"

"He's not even late yet and he's apologizing as though I've been inconvenienced?" Janet observed. "This man is certainly not from New York!" She sensed that she was safe opening up to him and decided to be a little more assertive in her conversation that night.

Brian's meal outings for Janet tended to be heavier and further away than those of Melanie. This was dictated by two considerations. First, he was restricted to places accepting the 2:1 meal deals Monica had supplied. Second, the extended travel time allowed more chance for conversation enroute.

"You were certainly kind to that person you were talking to," she said once they were in the car.

"That way they'll feel comfortable next time asking about a small problem while its still small. Intimidate people and they'll wait til the problem gets so huge everyone notices it. It's a principle my daddy taught me. It applies to many things, like difficult homework. Ask your parents to review your papers, he says, and you'll learn enough that the classroom tests are familiar territory by the time you get to them."

"You/;e close to your parents?"

"I guess pretty much- no black sheep or prodigal sons anyway. You?"

"I never had a normal family. My dad died when I was three. Then my Mother started getting sick when I was eight and got worse for ten years till she died. That's how food and I became such good friends I guess. There was nothing else but caring for her, books, TV and schoolwork."

"No school chums or activities?"

"Nope - never any time. I got a lot fatter than I am now but was never the fattest girl in school, but I was the biggest wallflower. And I guess I still am."

"I hadn't noticed you hanging out with the buttercups and petunias," he quipped.

Linda laughed. "You certainly make a person feel like they are someone!"

"You are --- everyone is. Part of the enjoyment of life is daring to find out who we really are. But a lot of people have go through a period of self discovery to find out. Would you like me to tell you some stories about that?"

"Sure, why not?" she said, realizing that where she had been leading the conversation was deeper than she really was ready yet to go.

For the next half hour Brian shared with several her real life Horatio Alger type vignettes of self made people who had started with nothing and overcome obstacles. In each he mentioned the need for mentors and the willingness to learn and dare. It was obvious to Janet that they came from a familiar trove that Brian had internalized years ago and probably used many times. She found herself somehow being buoyed by them into believing she potentially could do the same thing.

After the third story they arrived at the Five Spice Café, an oriental restaurant located on Church Street South of City Hall. For an appetizer they had the Dim Sum Sampler, comprised of eight savory dumplings with spicy hunan noodles and cucumbers

Janet had been thinking about the stories. "I guess you are trying to tell me that I have potential to be beautiful and a success, " she said. "I just wish I could believe it."

"You are already beautiful," he exclaimed. "And a success as well - I can name five successes in your life already and I barely know you!"

"What five successes?"

"You turned tragedy into opportunity, with your mother you learned duty and compassion like few people ever do, graduated from high school despite adversity, became quite literate beyond the average, and acquired an interest and ambition which has successfully carried you through four years of college."

"I never thought of it that way - but you think I am beautiful?"

"How is it that God is able to love all his children? Learn to look at people in terms of their gifts instead of their limitations and you will find that most everyone is beautiful. I have seen a few exceptions, but they are few and far between."

He looked quickly around the restaurant, his eyes settling on an older, wizened Chinese couple. "Take those two , for instance. They're teeth and hair may be half gone. Who knows what diseases they may have or pain they have been through? But you can see just in the way they are their commitment and love."

"Why can't I see people that way?" she said.

"You can - but to love others you must first love yourself, We are all made up of three levels, some call it child, adult, and parent. Tell me, when was the last time you looked in a mirror and said to your inner child, "I love you."

."I never have," she said. "I don't feel loveable." Tears began to well up in her eyes.

Guy put his right hand flat on the table towards her.

"I'm sorry - I apparently hit a nerve. Here, touch the top of my hand and look into my face and eyes."

Hesitantly, she did as he said.

"Now I am talking to that part of you that is most vulnerable, Janet. Yes, you are beautiful. Very much so." He smiled "You can look into my soul and tell that these are not just words from my lips, but a message from my heart. Believe it. Believe it for yourself and believe it for others. We all have beauty in us to start with, and unless we destroy it we can find it. And once we have found it we can display it for others to see. And then we can also see the beauty I others. There is no need for flowers to compare to and compete with others for beauty in a garden. Why must humans be otherwise?"

He paused, deliberately.

"I --- I don't know" she stammered. "I just think of myself as futilely fat, not beautiful."

"I know any number of fantastically beautiful, energetic and successful; women heavier than you," he said. "If you ever get to Texas I'ld be happy to introduce you."

At that juncture the waiter arrived with their main course.

Brian had ordered the Tai pla tod --- a red snapper dish from Thailand featuring a rich, pungent hot sauce She had requested Burmese Mountain Ruby Chicken --- sliced stir fried chicken served in layered fashion, each featuring a different flavor: sweet red peppers, zucchini, onions and chili pepper, well slathered with ground peanuts.

With drinks, the meal thus far was already good for at least 1500 calories, but Janet was not thinking of that. She struggling with another problem --- her social awkwardness. Somehow she sensed the genial Texan would listen without rejection --- maybe even be close to loving her. The attraction was different than anything she had ever felt with Guy. At least, she thought, he is committed to me for at least the length of the break.

"This certainly was an evening I hadn't expected. You're right. I don't think of myself as lovable or beautiful. But you do?"

"Absolutely. I just hope I'm not scaring you off by saying so."

"No danger of that. I can't remember when anyone ever thought that about me."

Brian turned the conversation to lighter fare, knowing that he had dropped enough bombshells for one evening. But Janet felt the gentleness of his gaze and knew he had not changed his mind.

The evening by now was running late and the earlier stuffed feeling had abated. Before driving back to Montpelier there was time for dessert. He had ginger tangerine cheesecake while she had diplimatico, an almond pound cake soaked in espresso and rum covered with sensuous chocolate icing. The calorie register tallied at least another 500 for the day, but who was counting? Brian was getting through to Janet and had her thinking. That was enough.

It was a quiet drive home --- music playing on the car stereo. Brian knew he had stirred things up, but now had to let Janet think. When he arrived at her dorm he stopped and let her out of the car. As they walked towards the door she paused.

"I'm kind of new at this, but if you don't mind, I-I mean if its appropriate, would you mind if I said thank you in a very forward way?"

He smiled. "Go ahead."

She reached around his neck and gave him a tentative kiss. But she didn't let go. He put his arms around her torso and hugged her tight for what seemed like a very long time. His lips pressed against hers for what seemed an eternity.

It was her first kiss.

Her mind still reeling an hour later she decided she needed her traditional midnight snack to get to sleep. It helped, but at 3:00 she needed a back up. Add another 1500 calories, for a total of 6500 in twenty four hours.But she wasn't counting.

Janet coasted through the next day with perhaps half of what had become her normal consumption. At dinner she passed by the appetizer but enjoyed a Caesar salad. This was followed by a filet migon accompanied by a massive serving of sweet plantain mashed potato.

The girls next skipped the dessert to head for a movie where it would be open season on the snack bar. Janet indulged her sweet tooth with a soda and a pair of large candy bars. Later, that night, after everyone had gone to bed she went to the kitchen. There she found a luscious quarter of a coconut crème pie just waiting for her.

While she was sleeping , looking forward to her next evening with Brian, Guy and Monica were having a terrific time as well.

Latest posts

Back