• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Music and Politics

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deven

Wendigo
I've been contemplating this for some time.

When I was growing up, music was a huge influence in my life. I lived and breathed for music. My mother ran away at 16 (in 1969,) and lived in New York. She was at the original Woodstock. She had an original Door's shirt that she passed on to me when I became old enough to appreciate who they were.

When I was starting to become political minded, when I was 17, during the fight between Kerry and Bush, I noticed a lot of my favorite bands were becoming more and more political.

Rock and metal seem to be more liberal, while I notice that quite a bit of country seems to be conservative. Most of what I outline in this post is my personal choice, which leans to rock and metal.

The first song, and video, that I noticed that had a political charge was A Perfect Circle's "Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums".

Even Eminem got into it with "Mosh"

Going back, I realize that even my mother's choice in bands when I was a child (she favored grunge and rock) was even helping shape my political views. Pearl Jam (her favorite) did "Do the Evolution," which was animated by Todd McFarlane (creator of Spawn) who later animated the very political video for Disturbed's cover of Genesis' Land of Confusion. McFarlane is apparently very anti-Government, which is reflected in some of the work he takes and as well as the Spawn comic series.

Bands from other countries got into the politics of America, such as Rammstein's song "Amerika," which is essentially saying that the entire world's state is America's fault (you know, because we'll pretend that the Holocaust never happened and Germany/Japan didn't force our hand into getting into what happens overseas to begin with.)

And who can forget Bono. I personally despise U2 (now,) but some people like them. I liked them at one point, but the tide has changed (and I fell in love with Depeche Mode, who I don't feel has become political, except for one song, called "John the Revelator." But even the political status of that song is debatable, as the writer of Depeche Mode, Martin Gore, is religious in some ways.)

Music videos, and other media are available even more than they were when I was graduating high school in 2005, when YouTube was just a fledgling company (before they were bought by corporate powerhouse Google.) How is the current tide of music shaping our nation? Do you feel your music choices have shaped your political views, or have you shaped your music choices to reflect your political views? Do you have any favorite songs that voice political opinions?

Latest posts

Back