OK - We're back up, but what happened, Conrad?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ho Ho Tai

I looked over recent messages and have seen nothing explaining the down-time of the last few days, other than a statement about an attack. No details, nor any prevention advice.

I sent out this e-mail message to all Dimensions members for whom I have an off-board address. Now that the board is up, I'm reposting it here.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 10:07 PM
To: Conrad Blickenstorfer
Subject: From Ho Ho Tai - The koobface worm? Is that what hit Dimensions?

Conrad and Dimensions friends -

I'm mailing all of you for whom I have an off-board address. I want to share our recent experience and see if there is any connections to Dimensions.

We run AVG-lite every weekend. Typically, it never come up with anything, beyond a bunch of stray cookies. The past two weeks, it has come up with the koobface worm. Here is a link to Wikipedia on that worm. According to Wiki, the worm is directed to social networking sites. I never visit, nor do I have a membership, on Facebook, twitter, or any other such site, with the possible exception of Dimensions. According to the description, the worm does not seem to be directed to sites such as Dimensions, but I don't know if it can spread via someone else's link. I am about to run AVG again tonight and we'll see what happens.

[Note: I did run AVG last night. No worm or virus was found.]

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate hearing from any of you who have had a similar experience - or haven't. All evidence is important.

[In the original message, my off-board identity was revealed. I choose to delete those portions from this post.]

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
I looked over recent messages and have seen nothing explaining the down-time of the last few days, other than a statement about an attack. No details, nor any prevention advice.

I sent out this e-mail message to all Dimensions members for whom I have an off-board address. Now that the board is up, I'm reposting it here.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 10:07 PM
To: Conrad Blickenstorfer
Subject: From Ho Ho Tai - The koobface worm? Is that what hit Dimensions?

Conrad and Dimensions friends -

I'm mailing all of you for whom I have an off-board address. I want to share our recent experience and see if there is any connections to Dimensions.

We run AVG-lite every weekend. Typically, it never come up with anything, beyond a bunch of stray cookies. The past two weeks, it has come up with the koobface worm. Here is a link to Wikipedia on that worm. According to Wiki, the worm is directed to social networking sites. I never visit, nor do I have a membership, on Facebook, twitter, or any other such site, with the possible exception of Dimensions. According to the description, the worm does not seem to be directed to sites such as Dimensions, but I don't know if it can spread via someone else's link. I am about to run AVG again tonight and we'll see what happens.

[Note: I did run AVG last night. No worm or virus was found.]

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate hearing from any of you who have had a similar experience - or haven't. All evidence is important.

[In the original message, my off-board identity was revealed. I choose to delete those portions from this post.]

Somewhat general point: I've found better results running Avira Antivir than when I used to run AVG.

Fallenangel2904

Fat Fashionista
While I AM curious about what happened- I'm just glad to have Dims back online! All that matters to me! :)

Seth Warren

May she always be True
that's fine and all but giving them a reaction is the way to make it happen again

So just present the facts and don't act like flailing drama queens when presented with said facts. Of course, not acting like flailing drama queens is probably one of the hardest feats ever asked of any given member of the human race to accomplish at any given time.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Well, we're still curious... Bucking it on a forum isnt going to stop people from wanting to know or ask. -shrug-
We can pretty much assume they know the effects of what they did.

The effects on the community? Well, if we don't bring it up, it looks like nobody here is involved enough to wonder (or perhaps even notice) what happened.

If it involved malware that could have affected site users (and I have no idea whether or not this was a component of the incident), it would be irresponsible to hide it -- but if so, just naming an antivirus app or system tool that can fix the situation would suffice.

-Rusty

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
I'm just thankful it's back up and running. Thank you so much to Conrad and whoever helped him out. I missed you guys.

fatlane

Starting Arvist
It was ninjas and pirates in a one-two combo assault. That's why it took the extra day to get things back up to 100%. It takes a lot to fight off several dozen ninjas and pirates. Those Krav Maga classes Conrad took really paid off.

The above explanation, while not technical, is perhaps the most entertaining one you will get.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
In the absence of any other explanation... I have some theories on what happened if anybody would like to hear them. :p

charlieversion2

1.) Recent media coverage has created several thousands of people to visit this site, possible bandwidth/ service issues. (most likely)

2.) Again media coverage, added traffic has made this a perfect place to serve up malware to unsuspecting visitors, thus causing the ISP to cut service. (in response to koobface)

3.) aliens or Jim Carey, take your pick

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
1.) Recent media coverage has created several thousands of people to visit this site, possible bandwidth/ service issues. (most likely)

2.) Again media coverage, added traffic has made this a perfect place to serve up malware to unsuspecting visitors, thus causing the ISP to cut service. (in response to koobface)

3.) aliens or Jim Carey, take your pick

OR

4.)Dimmers of XMAS Past

FatIcon.jpg

CleverBomb

On Space Out
It was ninjas and pirates in a one-two combo assault. That's why it took the extra day to get things back up to 100%. It takes a lot to fight off several dozen ninjas and pirates. Those Krav Maga classes Conrad took really paid off.

The above explanation, while not technical, is perhaps the most entertaining one you will get.
Even if it's not only non-technical but also completely fantastical, it definitely is the most entertaining one we'll get.

Repped.

-Rusty

Latest posts