Pinto beans and cornbread.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

smithnwesson

Drug dealer
This is what we grew up on in East Tennessee (with milk or buttermilk instead of the Cabernet). I'll let the pictures do the talkin':

Being snowed in ain't so bad. :eat1:

- Jim

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
That looks like some good eatin'. Care to share the recipe for the cornbread? It looks almost cake-like. Hubby loves cornbread, but I am not such a big fan because it is usually too dry and crumbly. If there was a recipe that I liked too, he would have a much better chance of me making it for him.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I stumbled across the secret of cake-like cornbread by accident: try adding about a quarter cup of sour cream to your recipe. And if you can get your hands on some wheat gluten, put in a tablespoon of that for additional fluffiness.:eat2:

cinnamitch

nope
Now add a big ol slice of onion and some fried taters.... Son that's a meal:eat1:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Now add a big ol slice of onion and some fried taters.... Son that's a meal:eat1:
Onion, definitely. But since both the beans and the bread are starchy, I think I'd go for greens rather than spuds. If you stir-fry them in about a Tbsp of oil, with salt, pepper, and a dash of tabasco, I guarantee you won't regret it!

Chef

Galloping Gourmet
I always crumbled my dry cornbread into the beans.

smithnwesson

Drug dealer
That looks like some good eatin'. Care to share the recipe for the cornbread? It looks almost cake-like. Hubby loves cornbread, but I am not such a big fan because it is usually too dry and crumbly. If there was a recipe that I liked too, he would have a much better chance of me making it for him.
Sure, Christine.

Recipe for the cornbread (for an 8" cast iron skillet)

1 egg
a little salt
1 cup of milk (we were snowed in and used half-and-half)
1 TBSP sugar
2 heaping TBSP flour
enough yellow cornmeal to form a thickish batter (~1 cup)
1 heaping TSP baking powder.

Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees.
Beat the egg, salt, milk, and sugar in one bowl.
Beat in the flour, baking powder, and about 1/2 cup of cornmeal in another bowl.
Add a few TBSP of oil (my granny used bacon grease) to the skillet and heat it until it starts smoking. Roll it around to coat the edges of the skillet.
Mix the contents of the bowls together with more cornmeal to make a thickish batter.
Pour this in skillet and bake 20-30 min.

Notes:
1- Use more flour (and less cornmeal) for a more cake-like texture.
2- A cast iron skillet is a must, otherwise the crust won't be right.
3- DO NOT grab the skillet handle with your bare hand. I know, Duhhhh, but it's easy to do and it really, really sucks. Don't as me how I know this. . .:eek:

Buon Appetito!

- Jim

Tracy

Fat & Sassy
Yeppers that looks like a good ole East Tennessee meal. Just add some fried taters and your eatin pretty good.

Risible

Monkey Daze
Jim, my husband (Biodieselman, you know him) grew up in east Tennessee also - around Knoxville. How 'bout that. Anyhoo, his mom just about raised him on cornbread; her recipe is pretty much like yours, except that she always used White Lily brand cornmeal (used White Lily self-rising flour for her biscuits), and she heated her cast iron skillet in the oven with a scoop of bacon grease in it while she mixed her dough.

I sometimes order the White Lily, which I can't find in the stores here on the West coast; the cornmeal is a couple bucks a bag, but the shipping is, like, ten bucks. :mad:

prettyssbbw

I am from around Knoxville . I like to crumble my cornbread into the beans and mix a few tablespoons of mayonaise and diced onion in. Completed with a nice cold glass of milk!:eat2::eat1::eat2::smitten:

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Now I really have an excuse to buy the right pan.

Latest posts