reading list

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

William

John Scalzi is another great recent Sci-Fi Author. His series starting with the "Old Man's War" is great!!

William

Tad

mostly harmless
John Scalzi is another great recent Sci-Fi Author. His series starting with the "Old Man's War" is great!!

William
I liked that series too! But if you are a long time science fiction fan, you have to read "The Android's Dream" and look for all the nods to other books and shows (some may have been more to genres than something specefic)....I'm sure I missed lots. Most were not as explicit as the title. Lots of fun.

Ichida

OMG That reminds me! There is one book about fat kender, and they cant stop eating and they are adorable and kender-like while being marshmellow puffs!! **needs to find that book again**

tribaltattoos75

OMG That reminds me! There is one book about fat kender, and they cant stop eating and they are adorable and kender-like while being marshmellow puffs!! **needs to find that book again**
I havent read that one.
I will have to see if I can find it. If you remeber the title let me know ok.

Ichida

It is one of the extensions by another author with her permission. One sec let me see if I can find it...

I THINK its called Kendermore by Mary Kirchoff

Ichida

Bookstore? I need to go to the LIBRARY on payday...I have like 8 books overdue....8x$6...so yeah...

Must...learn...self...control!

tribaltattoos75

Yeah thats why I quit going to the library the bookstore is cheaper LOL
Well it is if I can control myself :D

Ichida

I only begrudge it because I can go through a dragonlance book in under two hours. I also have an horribly good memory which means i REMEMBER every book I've read, so it has to be GREAT for me to want to re-read it...

I go to the public library and buy 4 books for a buck now - that way I can give them away after and be able to move in my own room.

tribaltattoos75

Dang and I thought I read fast! I remember books pretty good too but I have so many that rereading them isnt a problem. You should check out the Codex Allera series by Jim Butcher The titles are Furies of Calderon, Academs Fury, Cursors Fury, and Captains Fury. These were great in my opinion and very re-readable.

Ichida

I'll pick them up when I pay my fines tomorrow :doh: Thanks for the suggestion. As a non FA suggestion...heavy on sex but GREAT i really liked Jean M Auel's clan of the cavebear + series.

BTW I have a brand new baby boy cousin named Alexander! Last chance pregnancy for my uncle and aunt finally happened!!!!! Now I shall go smother him to death with love and kisses...tootles for now!!

tribaltattoos75

Yeah I used to have those to but stupid me loaned them out and never saw them again. Just so you know some of the Codex Alerea havent made it to paperback yet.

balletguy

The Time travlers wife was an amazing book... They are making a movie out of it soon too. But read the book 1st.

William

Does anyone remember

Lord of Light Roger Zelazny

Creatures of Light and Darkness Roger Zelazny

I loved "Lord of Light"

William

The Time travlers wife was an amazing book... They are making a movie out of it soon too. But read the book 1st.

William

I will have to pick that up

I am now reading his novel "The last Colony" which is good also

William

I liked that series too! But if you are a long time science fiction fan, you have to read "The Android's Dream" and look for all the nods to other books and shows (some may have been more to genres than something specefic)....I'm sure I missed lots. Most were not as explicit as the title. Lots of fun.

Ichida

If you are a sucker for old-time stories and want something light like potato chips, try Tamora Pierce.

She has a great series abouta girl becoming a night. There is magic in it as well, so it has a nice contrast. I say light as potato chips because it is right on the edge of teen/adult fantasy.

The immortals is one series, song of the lioness is another...and there is a new one, written in first person - which i normally HATE, but really like this one - called Provost's Dog

Tad

mostly harmless
Yeah thats why I quit going to the library the bookstore is cheaper LOL
Well it is if I can control myself :D

I have that problem sometimes too! I know moving to giving you one receipt instead of putting a card in each book saves them a lot of money, but I can never keep track of the little slips of paper or remember when I took books out. I was ever so much better at returning them on time when right there, when I was looking at the book, I could check when it was due.

If you are a sucker for old-time stories and want something light like potato chips, try Tamora Pierce.

She has a great series abouta girl becoming a night. There is magic in it as well, so it has a nice contrast. I say light as potato chips because it is right on the edge of teen/adult fantasy.

The immortals is one series, song of the lioness is another...and there is a new one, written in first person - which i normally HATE, but really like this one - called Provost's Dog
Yah, I've read almost all of her stuff, she writes great yarns! I really liked her two book series which were both Trickster something or other (featuring Allana's daughter, but somewhat different stories). I'm waiting to introduce those to my son when he's old enough not to choke on the tiny doses of romance (at ten he is violently allergic to the slightest hint of it).

I don't think anyone has mentioned them in a while, so just a plug for Spider Robinson's "Callahan's" series (starting with Callahan's Cross Time Saloon). They are actually collections of short stories (except for the newer ones that are actual novels, but the older ones were best). One of the stories in one of those was the first time I met an outright FA in fiction (although he doesn't get the girl in that story....however in a later book he marries a BBW).

One of his novels followed two couples, one of whom were both fat (and seemingly quite content that way), but I can't remember the title at teh moment. Suffice it to say that if the author is not an FA, he is at least very familiar with the concept. And some of his stuff is really excellent (and some is just pulp, he's pretty variable I find).

Another author I like is David Duncan. He writes mostly fantasy, although he's recently written a couple of historical mysteries with only small fantasy elements, and it is one of those that I read last week (set in Venice, from the point of view of the apprentice to the second Nostrademus (the heir to the one with the famous book). Duncan falls into the "tells a really good yarn" camp, but also comes up with really varied and unique fantasy worlds--except in this latter case not a fantasy world *L*. No particular fat elements in his work, but he has a sort of openness that I like.

Ichida

Yah, I've read almost all of her stuff, she writes great yarns! I really liked her two book series which were both Trickster something or other (featuring Allana's daughter, but somewhat different stories). I'm waiting to introduce those to my son when he's old enough not to choke on the tiny doses of romance (at ten he is violently allergic to the slightest hint of it).
LMAO!

Oh my, that was great. The Provosts Dog has much less romance, more catching the bad guys. Might be more to his liking!

iheartsquishys

Why is it that that bookstores have romance novels about divorcees, women knocked up by their husband's brother, business women, tall people, little people, cowboys, settlers, vampires, white people, black people, recovering alcoholics, fat women who hate their bodies, fat women who learn to accept their bodies, red haired guys, blond guys, funny fat women, women living in trailer parks, hollywood actors, politicians, average guys, athletic guys, whores, vikings, widows, mail order brides, terminally ill people, bikers, men in kilts, athletes, adulterers, women who switch lives, women caring for their elderly parents, religious women, aliens, knights, women knights, teenagers, people with acne and witches, yet I can't find a romance novel about a fat guy? Even something that doesn't portray his fat as sexy but just makes of point of him being fat and falling in love. I'll forgo the hot belly on forehead oral action and settle for a little love handle groping but no, not a single one in any of the stores. I vote the Dims FFA/BHM writers need to get published. Now.

Latest posts