Please Discuss

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LuxeLady

So this is something I’m about which I’m curious (and I apologize in advance for the rambling nature of this post: the vodka & tonic is hitting): threads about BHMs in entertainment invariably seem to skew towards comedians. This is interesting to me, since my own taste in deliciously large men runs to the more serious actors: Orson Welles, Raymond Burr, Laird Cregar, and more recent guys like Brian Dennehy and Robbie Coltrane (I know, initially a comedian but I first saw him in Cracker, a serious role). Even when they’re playing complete psychos, there’s something about the girth and power of BHMs in serious roles that melts me in a way BHM comedians just don’t. So my “fellow” FFAs who prefer the funny guys, what is it that does it for you? (BHMs…your opinions welcome too 😉)

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Great topic for a discussion LuxeLady! Thank you for bringing it up.

Even when they’re playing complete psychos, there’s something about the girth and power of BHMs in serious roles that melts me in a way BHM comedians just don’t. So my “fellow” FFAs who prefer the funny guys, what is it that does it for you?

This - sums up my interpretation and feelings perfectly.

Actually, I hate the fact that fat actors - with actresses it's probably even worse, if that is at all possible - are to a large extent stuck with comedy roles, most of them in bad comedies. But unfortunately being the "funny" fat guy/girl is the best chance at economic survival big actors and actresses have in the entertainment industry.

Even though crime series are normally not my thing, that is why I loved "Cracker", especially the first 2 series, because they showed a really big guy who also had a complex and interesting love life - which happens less often than every blue moon. (Or check as good example Orson Welles' interaction with Marlene Dietrich in "Touch of Evil" - otherwise an irritatingly pieced together movie).

It tells you something about the general vilification of fat that even fictional characters from literature or drama are often adapted for the screen with thin actors, eradicating the size factor from the character. In turn often leaving them flat and one-dimensional or with holes of plausibility in character development or plot-line (see for instance the many versions of Pierre from War & Peace).

Will that change any time soon? No chance, again for actresses even less so than for actors.

LuxeLady

. (Or check as good example Orson Welles' interaction with Marlene Dietrich in "Touch of Evil" - otherwise an irritatingly pieced together movie).
“He was some kind of a man…” yes, very true. If you like big men, you’d better have a good imagination because you aren’t likely to see him as a leading man

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I like comedians in general. And obviously, I like BHM, so I like BHM comedians too. Some of them, anyway. Same rules apply as to any other comedian with regards to being funny. And being funny can be a sign of intelligence and quick wittedness, plus you get to see some of their genuine personality as opposed to people who are actors.

Cute, smart, confident guy with witty remarks and fun stories and a sly grin? Yes please.

To be fair, I feel like american comedy is pretty different to British comedy though. I really struggle to find american comedy funny at all, aside from a few exceptions.

I'm not interested in many actors in general, on the other hand, so they don't usually do much for me.

Donna

Lips & hips & ass & sass
With a few exceptions, my current BHM crushes are all musicians. But I've been told I'm not really an FA because I am not attracted exclusively to BHM.

Comedians in general don't trip my trigger. Don't get me wrong, I love a good sense of humor and a quick wit, but I tend more toward the guys who most consider really serious or come off grumpy and/or broody. I see that brooding type in a lot with certain genres of musicians. Some actors have that persona, like your Welles, Burrs and the like. I used to really adore Oliver Reed before he passed away. Most of the BHM comedians these days seem to be playing to the stereotype of the quirky buffoon. Maybe they are too accessible, if I am making sense??

A thought just occurred to me...perhaps I like the serious types to counteract my own personality. In general, I tend to come off as the stereotypical goofy, fat sidekick. Been called "sunshine" or "funny girl" one too many times to count, and when nervous (which is a lot) I will defer to humor, especially self-depreciating humor.

Sonic Purity

Grateful
But I've been told I'm not really an FA because I am not attracted exclusively to BHM.

Whatever source(s) told you that, i disagree with them vehemently. Never have seen any sort of exclusivity contract requirement to be an FA, whatever the gender breakdowns of the FA and those to whom we’re attracted.

You’re an FA. And so very much more.

kyle

"Beam me here Scotty"
With a few exceptions, my current BHM crushes are all musicians. But I've been told I'm not really an FA because I am not attracted exclusively to BHM.

Comedians in general don't trip my trigger. Don't get me wrong, I love a good sense of humor and a quick wit, but I tend more toward the guys who most consider really serious or come off grumpy and/or broody. I see that brooding type in a lot with certain genres of musicians. Some actors have that persona, like your Welles, Burrs and the like. I used to really adore Oliver Reed before he passed away. Most of the BHM comedians these days seem to be playing to the stereotype of the quirky buffoon. Maybe they are too accessible, if I am making sense??

A thought just occurred to me...perhaps I like the serious types to counteract my own personality. In general, I tend to come off as the stereotypical goofy, fat sidekick. Been called "sunshine" or "funny girl" one too many times to count, and when nervous (which is a lot) I will defer to humor, especially self-depreciating humor.
Baby, you like what you like. And I'm pretty sure you're not going to let anyone tell you differently. ;) Every day is different. Hell, the Full Moon last night affects us all different. But you're here on DIMS ... thank you.

Last edited:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm curious if part of the difference could be how much different people seperate the actor from the role? Like some people might like a particular performer equally in rolls from darkly menacing to frothy comedy, while other people might be more influenced by the combination of role and performer? (pure speculation on my part -- but it occurred to me that while I've crushed on characters I've never crushed on the performers behind them, whereas a lot of people seem to relate strongly to the performer, so thought I'd toss this thought into the discussion)