So what duya think about a possible "Newbie Board"... Hmmmm?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Should there be a "New Members Board"?

• Yup

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Create a "Newbie Board"?

Mmmkay.... So, I've been getting these subliminal vibes lately that maybe I oughta resurrect the idea of a “Newcomer’s Board” or “New to Dimensions”, or “Newbie Board” or whatever it shall be called… These recent developments have piqued my morbid curiosity insofar as seeing how easy it might be to create such a thing given perhaps that the-powers-that-be appear to have a desire to do so… and in light of the dismal failures I’ve had in my past attempts to improve the plight of those of us here in Dims.

Soooooo… Here is the idea in essence:

What I am proposing, would be a board where newbies who first set foot into Dimensions could be shown how this website works, and what Dimensions is all about. Those of us old-timers who wish to participate could “take a newbie under our wing” as one would say, and teach them the ways of Dimensions… the mantra… indoctrinate them so to speak… You know, help familiarize them with Dimensions, introduce the newbies to other members, introduce them to the concept that fat is good and diets are bad unless they happen to cause weight gain… which boards are for what discussions… who to go to for questions… that feeders aren’t monsters despite their behaviour… learn the terminology, you know... stuff like that.

This thread is just a first step in gauging interest in such an endeavour, and hopefully it will be as successful as my past polls have been in generating stimulating conversation. If there seems to be significant interest in such a board, the next step would be to present a “proposal” to Herr Webmeister for consideration as I’ve heard the procedure goes. Speaking of which… would one of you kind folks mind writing me up a proposal…? Feel free to post it here on this thread… try to make it at least a page or two long… and put some of the those little bullet point thingies into it, kinda like a PowerPoint presentation… Thanks in advance. :)

Anyhoo… Here is how the poll works…

You vote “Yup” (this means yes BTW…) if you want to see a “Newbie Board”… or you vote “Nope” (this means no) I don’t want a “Newbie Board”)… It’s that simple.

And if you really have the urge to add further discussion, feel free to do so.

Begin.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
My knee-jerk reaction at seeing any mention of new boards, at this point, is to run screaming for the hills (or from them, as I seem to recall Stan living in hills).

But....I didn't run too far before running out of breath, at which point I got to thinking. And after thinking.......this might not be a bad idea.

My biggest worry is that I'd guess about a quarter of the activity of the 'main' board is currently essentially newbie traffic (introductions, first questions, etc). (barring the current discussions of new boards, that is :doh:). If we take that away from the main board.....is it going to start getting to be an awfully lonely place?

gangstadawg

the wanderer
My knee-jerk reaction at seeing any mention of new boards, at this point, is to run screaming for the hills (or from them, as I seem to recall Stan living in hills).

But....I didn't run too far before running out of breath, at which point I got to thinking. And after thinking.......this might not be a bad idea.

My biggest worry is that I'd guess about a quarter of the activity of the 'main' board is currently essentially newbie traffic (introductions, first questions, etc). (barring the current discussions of new boards, that is :doh:). If we take that away from the main board.....is it going to start getting to be an awfully lonely place?
you know what since every body wants new boards to be added can we we have a latino board or a african american board or may be a board for the short members or the taller members? seriously this shit needs to stop. why do people want this board to have a ton of seperate boards?

SamanthaNY

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄&
Only if there's an Exit Board. For everything from the underage to the dramatically leaving. There could be a sub-board of those that are just *thinking* of dramatically leaving. Oh - and this would be the place to let folks know you're on vacation. And all those that get banned, their bannings would be announced, and they'd get to say something before they go. Cuz that occasionally becomes an issue, ya know? Shit. I didn't bullet-point any of this. Oh noes.

• And then of course, there's the memorials, for the dearly and permanently departed, may they rest in peace.

There.

It's an obvious need, the Exit Board. Let's have a couple of polls about it.

Gimme a fuckin' break here.

Risible

Monkey Daze
As it happens, Stan, a "Newbie Board" is my 2009 Dims project. I've already gotten a green light from Conrad on exploring this idea. To that end, I've looked at a couple of models from other forums (BTW, anyone frequent other v-bulletin boards? Do they have a newbie board? If so, please PM me! :bow:)

As far as community participation, I've read threads in the past where this idea was warmly received; at this point, I'd love to hear from volunteers for this "adopt a newbie" program. Not sure how it'll work; I'd be happy to hear ideas from anyone - again, PM me or post your experience/idea in this thread.

Stan, can I sign you up as a volunteer? :happy:

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Only if there's a damned zucchini board.

UGH

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
As it happens, Stan, a "Newbie Board" is my 2009 Dims project. I've already gotten a green light from Conrad on exploring this idea. To that end, I've looked at a couple of models from other forums (BTW, anyone frequent other v-bulletin boards? Do they have a newbie board? If so, please PM me! :bow:)

As far as community participation, I've read threads in the past where this idea was warmly received; at this point, I'd love to hear from volunteers for this "adopt a newbie" program. Not sure how it'll work; I'd be happy to hear ideas from anyone - again, PM me or post your experience/idea in this thread.

Stan, can I sign you up as a volunteer? :happy:

I'd volunteer to adopt a newb. Fat girl or FA. I've actually done a bit of this with new, young FAs who have approached me via PM. I still call one such guy my "Dims mentee" .

_overture

Throbbing Member
you know, speaking as a newbie, I'm all for this idea personally! :)

FaxMachine1234

you know it
I don't see how this would require an entirely new board, but maybe restructure the Main Board to be more newbie-friendly? It seems like a mix between the Lounge and the Weight Board at this point.

And I don't think it's stupid to be proposing so many new boards, but it only seems that way because we have to have a huge amount of discussion before anything happens. I know the coding for this board is for sure a pain, but I think it'd be better just to create everybody's ideas for new boards, see which ones get traffic, and collapse the ones that don't.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
The other boards I've been active in (in the past) - the newbie boards are dead and pretty boring.

It's basically a board for newbies that's our introduction thread. People come by, they say hello, say something about themselves, maybe share a picture and then they're off.... the boards generally got less replies than our welcome thread (our people do a pretty good job at welcoming newbies there... thankfully).

I joined a board a few years back and I tried and tried to get involved... it's a HUGE board, and it's not like I don't know how to post around a board... but it just never really worked. I took it as the type of community it was.

Maybe it would work better here, but like edx mentioned... everytime I see "new board" around here right now I want to run screaming from it.

Maybe it's just not the right time to be having ALL these discussions at once.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
drip..drip..dripping.......and I ain't talkin' about my nose....;)

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
drip..drip..dripping.......and I ain't talkin' about my nose....;)

No really Mossy... I'm toning it down as much as is humanly possible for me... Although I'll 'fess, that "exit board" kvetching almost bumped me over the edge... Haven't you noticed I've been behaving myself regarding the whole FA board thing...? Well for the most part...

Anyhoo... Really, think about it peoples... Maybe a "Newbie Board" would encourage more of the male FAs to come out of lurking...? It all depends on the clientele quality I suppose... hmmmmm, That's a consideration I never thought of...

FaxMachine1234

you know it
No really Mossy... I'm toning it down as much as is humanly possible for me... Although I'll 'fess, that "exit board" kvetching almost bumped me over the edge... Haven't you noticed I've been behaving myself regarding the whole FA board thing...? Well for the most part...

Anyhoo... Really, think about it peoples... Maybe a "Newbie Board" would encourage more of the male FAs to come out of lurking...? It all depends on the clientele quality I suppose... hmmmmm, That's a consideration I never thought of...

Well, we already have an "introduce yourself thread", and I can't think of any questions a new poster would have that he'd be unwelcome to posit in our existing boards.

pickleman357

Christian/Fattism Solider
I thought stickies at the top of the boards were more for Newbies. So wouldn't a newbie board be kinda redundant?

example. If a new FA comes to dimentions and wants to complain how his new g/f gained weight but wants to loose it. I would want that post to be on the F/FA board, not a Newbie. So that the right people can see it, and respond to it quickly, help the guy and his woman, and maybe he'll even see the sticky we should have about it.

(BTW, another post like this happened, AGAIN, recently. This is a recuring issue)

I think boards should be reserved for On going issues for the community. People are only a newbie once, while people will always need clothes, eat food, talk about the lastest fat-hate, etc.

That's my $0.02

TraciJo67

I'm outraged about this.
OUTRAGED.

I will not be soothed unless there is also a cucumber board.

We need a vegetable sub-board as well, for those among us who enjoy consuming their vegetables in alternative ways.

Ahem. And we all know just who likes the big'uns here at Dims.

But just in case you don't: Geffie Geffie Geffie Geffie Geffie The Green-Eyed Wonder Fairy

BothGunsBlazing

Back...ish
Nah, no need for a newbie board, just introduce yourself in the new members thread above and jump right in.

People will notice you if you've got interesting/douchy things to say.

Latest posts