• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Soft & Evil Eat New Jersey

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
Move over Thelma & Louise. Look out Laverne & Shirley. Make way for Soft & Evil the crazy duo and the new "Two Fat Ladies" of the foodie world!

I've already shared a few pics of our adventures in Boston last year: Soft & Evil Eat Boston

Now fasten your seatbelts and grab a napkin for the drool - here is a foodee foto blog of our latest adventures.

10/20-21

It was the perfect foodie weekend. Evil Princess was nearby on business and she hopped a train to come and visit me. It was one great meal after another - and I've got photo evidence (for most of it)!

The theme for the weekend was sharing - good food and good conversation.

Our first stop on Saturday was the retro-futuristic Skylark Diner (think The Jetsons) but - we were both famished and forgot to take pics before we dove in! We shared filet mignon eggs benedict and a bananas foster waffle. Yum. It was perfect.

Dinner was at the wonderful Restaurant David Drake. Ahhhh! They have a 6 course tasting menu with wine pairings. For each course they give you a choice of 2 dishes so we told them to bring us one of each and an extra plate so we can share everything. That way we get to taste 12 dishes!

By the end of the evening, it turned out to be more like 16! You'll see why...

The wine pairings turned out to be a great idea. We each got 2 glasses for each course so they were able to split each wine selection as well as the food. Unfortunately I don't have a list of the wines we tried, but I did bring home the menu so I can be accurate describing all the dishes.

Here we go. (Disclaimer: I am not good at describing the tastes of complex dishes, so I'm just giving you the basics.)

dDexterior.jpg

Restaurant David Drake (photo snagged from the internet, I confess)

dDtable.jpg

Our table - this photo is from their website. The rest are all mine, I promise.

02amuse.jpg
An amuse-bouche, compliments of the chef. We each got this (so we didn't need to share). Left: Fresh Oyster on the Half Shell with champagne granité, topped with a little smoked steelhead caviar. Center: Seared New York State Foie Gras with roasted pineapple quince, red grape, and a port wine reduction. Right: (I don't have an actual description of this, so I'm winging it) - Grilled Octopus over marinated onions and olives.

When they put this in front of me, I felt like an Iron Chef judge. Sometimes I wonder how they eat all that stuff. Anyhow, I am not a raw seafood fan, not an octopus fan, and sometimes I have issues with the texture of foie gras. But I figured, if i am going to eat these things, this is the place to do it!

The oyster was actually delicious! The caviar was a nice touch. The foie gras was one of the best tastes of the evening. It had crispy bits that tasted like duck skin and the rest of it melted in my mouth. The octopus was ok. Not scary, but I wouldn't order it.

03salmon.jpg

This is a Cannelloni of Applewood Smoked Salmon with celery root remoulade salad, fried capers and leek sauce. When split, this was a quick bite for each of us. And a tasty one!

04terrine.jpg

This is a Terrine of Foie Gras and Duck Confit with plum-onion confiture and a balsamic reduction. A terrine of foie gras has a firmer texture, which I really like. And the confit - yum. This is one of my favorite dishes at David Drake's. Just heavenly.

05wine.jpg

Here are my 2 glasses and EP's 2 glasses just before the next course. As you can see we didn't get a full pour - it really was just the right amount for the small tasting of each dish. They brought us new glasses each time.

07squash.jpg

Fall Squash Bisque with PEI mussels, saffron and toasted pumpkin seeds. This was AMAZING. The toasty crunch of the pumpkin seeds made this dish.

08apple.jpg

Chilled Apple Soup Duo with Maine crab meat salad, creme fraiche and lemon balm. The wine was getting to us - EP began to stir this before I was able to snap the pic! I didn't love this soup. It was ok, but the bar was raised after tasting the squash bisque.

09cod.jpg

Atlantic Cod with yukon gold potato purée, chanterelles, haricot vert and a chanterelle sauce. The potatoes were silky and creamy and they were better than sex. I'm tellin' ya. I am sure EP will be reviewing these dishes too, and she will confirm it!

10lobster.jpg

Miso-Kaffir Lime Poached Lobster with crispy eel, salsify, cardoons and braised romaine. This dish was my biggest disappointment. The lobster itself was barely cooked - I don't like rare lobster, unfortunately. And I dislike miso, so this dish was doomed. The eel was actually better than the lobster, and I wasn't exactly crazy about the eel. lol​

OK, we're half done the meal. *whew* The wine was definitely making us happy and a wee bit silly.

Continued....

Reactions: Tad

Latest posts

Back