suggestion for a new section to the stories

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Red Raven

Something I was thinking about while going through the sections at the stories is that we have a lot of different sections but there isn't a "romance" section. This is something I think should be added because there are quite a few stories that while erotic are also about love and romance. Any thoughts?

Red Raven

One reason I think it would be great is that this site promotes love. And a lot of stories women being loved would prob be a good thing.

Lou Grant

The archived forums are seperated by the most general of reader fat fiction preferences and even as such I think it is a few too many. Not likely to be added to any time soon.

We do utilize a tag feature that makes it easier to search for stories with a similar theme (for example: sci-fi, M to BBW as well as romance) using the search function. They are at the top of almost every story in the library. Go ahead and query Romance and see how many you get.

I got 500.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I agree that reorganizing the story categories could be helpful. The current categories really seem based around the assumption that the "normal" story here involved male FA, BBW, and weight gain (first two categories are for short and long forms of that fiction, while BHM and GLBTQ get their own categories further down the list, while there are two levels of more extreme story, which I suppose don't have to just be about more extreme weight gain, but I think that is mostly what fills them).

All of that does raise the expectation of what sort of story would show up here. If I were a new writer who had written, say, a piece of historical fiction about a BBW captured by a pirate, who falls for him, then loses enough weight that she can become part of his crew (while still being plump), and win his heart....I suspect that I'd think that some people at Dimensions might like the story, but I'd not be at all sure if it had a place in the library. While as a reader I'd be sad if that story didn't get posted, because it could be great.

Entirely up to the editors, of course, to organize as they see fit. Just pointing out the impression that I think the current set-up may create.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I agree that reorganizing the story categories could be helpful. The current categories really seem based around the assumption that the "normal" story here involved male FA, BBW, and weight gain (first two categories are for short and long forms of that fiction, while BHM and GLBTQ get their own categories further down the list, while there are two levels of more extreme story, which I suppose don't have to just be about more extreme weight gain, but I think that is mostly what fills them).

All of that does raise the expectation of what sort of story would show up here. If I were a new writer who had written, say, a piece of historical fiction about a BBW captured by a pirate, who falls for him, then loses enough weight that she can become part of his crew (while still being plump), and win his heart....I suspect that I'd think that some people at Dimensions might like the story, but I'd not be at all sure if it had a place in the library. While as a reader I'd be sad if that story didn't get posted, because it could be great.

Entirely up to the editors, of course, to organize as they see fit. Just pointing out the impression that I think the current set-up may create.
Interesting you would mention this because I've been giving it some thought myself. I'm not especially interested (and I'm not alone) in the more fetish and/or kink related storylines but the example that you posed was more along the lines of what I think the library needs too. Or it's just me and Tad liking the idea. LOL

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Well, the thing is, one can bang out a quick weight gain fantasy story about ten times faster than a romance--at least based on my sample size of one (i.e. me--which is why I've not posted a complete story in years). Granted my data may be sketchy, but I think that in general a 'real' story, with personalities, a plot with ups and downs and twists, and all of that stuff, is a lot more work!

So in sheer numbers, the more fetich/kink related stories are apt to lead the way. And those types of stories started appearing spontaneously on these boards in their early days, before the library was added, because there was nowhere else to really post that sort of thing (while the 'real' stories might seem a bit odd elsewhere, but would be more acceptable).

In other words, the 'librarly' really did start out with mostly weight gain, or other fat fetish, fiction. But it is clear that there are people here who can write other types of fat related fiction, and do so very well, and that there is a real audience for such stuff. I think giving it a clearer show case might help encourage more of it, which I'd certainly love to see.

PS. Yes, most of what I wrote was essentially fat fetish fiction of some sort. I'm not ashamed of it--heck I used to have a geocities web page just to keep it accesible before that service got shut down-- I've just moved on in my interests for the most part.

Lou Grant

So you are proposing a special spotlight section for stories that fall in line with your current more matured and dignified "interests"?

Not going to happen. I try to treat every writer that posts a story or PM's me a question the same. whether they need a great deal of grammatical help or just need to know where to post. whether they have a two paragraph description or a 90 page novella. And I do see all kinds and types of stories. If you look you might as well (even some pirates, believe it or not). I think it is peoples' preconcieved notions of what the library is that keeps them from seeing all there is to see here.

The library is for fat fiction so the stories are all primarily focused on weight in some form or fashion so the current archived set up works as well as it can. There has been discussion of making changes to it, but to this point nothing has come of it.

Well, the thing is, one can bang out a quick weight gain fantasy story about ten times faster than a romance--at least based on my sample size of one (i.e. me--which is why I've not posted a complete story in years). Granted my data may be sketchy, but I think that in general a 'real' story, with personalities, a plot with ups and downs and twists, and all of that stuff, is a lot more work!

So in sheer numbers, the more fetich/kink related stories are apt to lead the way. And those types of stories started appearing spontaneously on these boards in their early days, before the library was added, because there was nowhere else to really post that sort of thing (while the 'real' stories might seem a bit odd elsewhere, but would be more acceptable).

In other words, the 'librarly' really did start out with mostly weight gain, or other fat fetish, fiction. But it is clear that there are people here who can write other types of fat related fiction, and do so very well, and that there is a real audience for such stuff. I think giving it a clearer show case might help encourage more of it, which I'd certainly love to see.

PS. Yes, most of what I wrote was essentially fat fetish fiction of some sort. I'm not ashamed of it--heck I used to have a geocities web page just to keep it accesible before that service got shut down-- I've just moved on in my interests for the most part.

Maybe part of the problem is that even within the Romance category there is so much variation possible, for example, see the list of possibilities at RomanceWiki: http://www.romancewiki.com/Romance_Genres (but no FA/BBW/FFA/BHM/etc. category, of course). I have posted four stories here so far, of which three might be considered as "romance" in a general sense, but even those three are quite different in terms of their approach.

I do agree, however, that the Library is weighted heavily ;) toward the weight gain thing, and this may scare away readers and writers who would like to explore other weight-related topics.

Lou Grant

Essentially it comes down to a matter of opinion. What you may feel there is too much of others have complained there not enough of (believe me I've gotten those complaints too lately). When there is an influx of BHM stories someone will say that's all there is anymore. When there is more BBW prose people will tell me they are not inspired to put up any of their BHM writings. Like I said before, peoples' preconcieved notions and what they have heard about what is in here sometimes guides their opinion before they have all the facts.

When me and the other moderators figure out a bulletproof way to make everyone happy I will let everyone know. Until then all I can do is take it under consideration and bring these points out in the next discussion. People other then myself have worked long and hard to make the library what it is today.

I do very much appreciate the continued interest in the library.

Maybe part of the problem is that even within the Romance category there is so much variation possible, for example, see the list of possibilities at RomanceWiki: http://www.romancewiki.com/Romance_Genres (but no FA/BBW/FFA/BHM/etc. category, of course). I have posted four stories here so far, of which three might be considered as "romance" in a general sense, but even those three are quite different in terms of their approach.

I do agree, however, that the Library is weighted heavily ;) toward the weight gain thing, and this may scare away readers and writers who would like to explore other weight-related topics.

Perry White

Library Editor
I've gotta sort of agree that there are a bit too many categories already. It's difficult to navigate, and adding more places you would need to go into once a story is submitted would be a bit cumbersome I believe.

The main problem I see is that all the stories here need to involve weight, and have a more positive vibe regarding weight. You won't see any stories here that aren't pro-size on at least some level. Losing weight is a bit antithetical to what the site, and library are about.

One must wonder, as well, if we make Romance its own category, will other posters want other categories? What are the prerequisites to a story tag getting its own section? Food for thought. :eat1:

Britt Reid

Library Editor
There are actually two subjects in this thread - the number of categories and what types of stories are welcome.

The category design is intended to address two needs - the need to break the archives into relatively manageable size and also the need to establish what is essentially a movie-like rating system. I personally think what we have accomplishes these goals fairly well. Creating new archives requires a fair amount of time in deciding what to put into them, and (as has been noted) we have the search keys for topics such as "romance."

As to types of stories that are acceptable, the escapades of a plump female on a pirate ship would be no problem. As stated by our Webmaster in his introduction to the Recent Additions forum, it is a place for stories that are weight and size related, not just weight gain. I could point to a number in our collection that illustrate this (King of the Falls and The Beach, for two examples) - but would readily admit they are rare. It would be great to have more.

NemoVolo

I don't know specifically new threads, but I wouldn't be opposed to sub-threads at all. Even with the search function, it's tedious slushing through it all for what you want to find.

Even if these are also fairly vague, such as restricting the types of WG to "realistic", "magic/scifi", and "unrealistic". For me personally, finding WG that's is entirely unrealistic (without being warned beforehand that magic or futuristic science is involved or to blame) pulls me completely out of a story. Nothing ruins my mood faster.

I hope this helps.

(I do think a Romance section would be just as bad, since there are lot of stories that are already romance, so that wouldn't really limit it more than the search function.)

Latest posts