Supersize characters in books and literature

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by activistfatgirl, Jul 21, 2006.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Sep 14, 2006 #41

JewelTran

JewelTran

JewelTran

Like many of you, I grew very tired of reading stories where the heroine was a "hefty" 135 pounds.... Since I LOVE romance novels, I decided to try my own hand at the craft. If you click on my name over to the left, it will take you to my profile which will give you my own geocities page, which has my stories posted. Because I personally have gotten so much out of being a part of this community, I would love to share them with anyone who would enjoy that sort of reading. And please keep the "suggested" literature coming - I love finding new sources for "real" people stories!
    :bow:

2. Sep 14, 2006 #42

moonvine

moonvine

moonvine

Queen of Contempt

I love Jennifer Portnick, though her characters are not supersized, they are fat.

I remember the first time I read her first novel, Good in Bed. I used to work 2nd shift and could read at work, and often did. When I finished that book I just had tears POURING down my cheeks.

I emailed Jennifer and she answered me in maybe 10 minutes. It was amazing.

She told me one time she had a teenage boy email her who had found the book on an airplane and told her it had changed his life. He said he hadn't know what women went through before.

She's too famous for that kind of contact now, unfortunately.

Anyway, Jennifer Portnick

3. Sep 14, 2006 #43

TallFatSue

TallFatSue

TallFatSue

Methinks you mean Jennifer Weiner?

http://www.jenniferweiner.com

4. Sep 14, 2006 #44

moonvine

moonvine

moonvine

Queen of Contempt

Yes, Sue, I did. Man, I am so losing it.

Jennifer Weiner. Not Jennifer Portnick (who is also awesome, but in a different way).

5. Sep 15, 2006 #45

Lynne Murray

Lynne Murray

Lynne Murray

I don't think anyone's mentioned and I don't know how I could have forgotten Sue Ann Jaffarian's Odelia Grey, the middle-aged, plus-size, humorous amateur sleuth. Sue Ann has accomplished an amazing feat with her mystery series, she self-published the first one or two, tirelessly promoted them, and a large mainstream publisher, Midnight Ink, a division of Llewellyn Worldwide picked up the series. That rarely happens. Now her books have been optioned for a television series. It couldn't happen to a nicer person. If you like BBW romances, there's also a free short story posted on her website.
    http://www.sueannjaffarian.com/

Lynne

Sweet Tooth likes this.
  6. Sep 18, 2006 #46

Sweet Tooth

Sweet Tooth

Sweet Tooth

Deep. W i d e.

I adore Jennifer Weiner! Her fat characters range from size 14 to size 26, and their weight isn't necessarily a major focus of the book, just part of their character.

And she was beautiful on the cover of Figure about a year ago, a beautiful plus-size woman herself!

I read a lot of chick lit [my brain candy, an addiction I got into in grad school to counter the heavy reading for classes]. One site, Chick Lit Books, had a section listing books with plus-size characters. Unfortunately, the site is currently down. I don't know if or when it will be back up.

[I've read a lot of great books with fat women, but very few with supersize women, so I just didn't mention any.]

7. Apr 10, 2008 #47

Jellybean

Jellybean

Jellybean

I hardly post at all, but after submitting my "chick-lit" novel with a fat girl heroine to about 25 agents and hearing "great, but not quite right for me," I decided to post some of it on a blog. It's the story of a fat woman, Nora Flynn, who decides to get revenge on the dieting industry by ghost writing diet books herself - but her double life starts to complicate her relationship with her fiance and her overbearing mother as she starts to plan her wedding.

It's comic, but with a good bit of underlying anger towards society that sometimes comes out towards the people Nora loves most. And her mother is a weight-loss nagging pain in the butt, so she deserves some of the anger...

I have really gotten strength and inspiration from reading the posts of the women of this community. I humbly present the link if any of you care to read a few chapters.

The link is http://fatgirlfiction.wordpress.com/

8. Apr 10, 2008 #48

Blanka

Blanka

Blanka

I have been reading this book series “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R. R. Martin. It is kinda like Lord of the Rings but not quite as much fantasy and much much darker.

In the books each chapter portrays a different character and in Jon's chapters his friend Sam is very obese and Sam also gets his own chapters in the third book. Both are members of a group of warrior known as the Nights Watch. Jon joined by choice but Sam's father makes him join because he is ashamed of his weak, fat son. In the Night Watch men inheret no property so Sam's father tells him that if he does not join the Night Watch he will kill Sam himself so his younger brother can be heir. Sam is at first not accepted by the watch but it is through Jon's befriending Sam that the others accept him too.

They are very good books and so far there are four of them.
    Book 1: A Game of Thrones
    Book 2: A Clash of Kings
    Book 3: A Storm of Swords
    Book 4: A Feast for Crows

ripley likes this.
  9. Apr 11, 2008 #49

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Yay, another ASIF fan! Have you read the Dunk and Egg material as well? There's a couple of novellas, which have been made into comic miniseries by Dabel Brothers Productions.

There's another supersize character if I remember correctly, a young Lady in King's Landing... though she's not portrayed very favorably, and if I recall correctly she gets gang-raped after the beheading of Eddard Stark.

10. Apr 11, 2008 #50

Blanka

Blanka

Blanka

No I have not read the Dunk and Egg series, is that another one of his book series?

And I beleive the rape scene you are talking about is the rape of Lollys. She is the daughter of some high born lady at queen Cercei's castle. I beleive she is raped towards the end of the second book when Stannis attacks the castle because I am currently starting book three and she is still pregnant from her attack.

11. Apr 11, 2008 #51

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Allie Cat

Dunk and Egg is about Ser Duncan the Tall and Aegon V. When Aegon was a child he squired for a hedge knight, that being Ser Duncan, who is possibly an ancestor of Brienne of Tarth.

Yeah, that's it.. Lollys.

12. Apr 11, 2008 #52

Blanka

Blanka

Blanka

Wow!!!! I guess I got lucky when I bought my copy of “The Cook” a few months ago from Amazon for only 15, thats right fifteen dollars, and in good condition. Though maybe it was cheaper because it is paperback and not hard cover?

13. Apr 11, 2008 #53

ripley

ripley

ripley

In Remembrance

I'm such a Song of Ice and Fire fan. :batting:

14. Apr 12, 2008 #54

Frankhw

Frankhw

Frankhw

BBW Betty's HD Teddy Bear

Heard of this one a few years ago. It's a collection of short stories about people of size.

41PYSZ23WVL__SS500_.jpg

15. Apr 12, 2008 #55

pudgy

pudgy

pudgy

Dazed

The main character of Don DeLillo's novel White Noise has a wife named Babette, a fairly overweight woman who struggles with the world around her. There are some slightly sensuous scenes, explaining some butt and boob grab action.

16. Aug 3, 2012 #56

bbwluvr3000

bbwluvr3000

bbwluvr3000

Anyone know if there is an online version of "The Cook" by Harry Kressing?

17. Oct 9, 2019 #57

phylissfogg

phylissfogg

phylissfogg

Could you post a link to that website?

18. Dec 11, 2019 #58

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

This thread is a thousand years old but how do people feel about the Baron?