The most likely illness that fat people might suffer from.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
http://www.facebook.com/kenneth.c.phillips,
I was in a discussion with a Facebook friend about health issues with fat people. A lot of folks would point to problems like diabetes or the usual misconceptions. My thought was that if there is any illness that would affect fat people, perhaps more than other ailments, would be mental disorders. Specifically, an eating disorder.I understand that there are plenty of other reasons for gaining weight… Some people just plain love to eat! But some eat out of depression and the like. (I note that there are loads of smaller people with eating disorders Like AnorexiaAnd stuff… But I'm just talking about our group.

Somebody thought I was out of my tree for suggesting something like that. I don't ask this to be mean. I have seen conversations from members on this site regarding depression-Driven eating disorders that they are struggling with.

Anyone care to comment?

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
As far as I know, the only illness that has been demonstrated to be caused/exacerbated by a high body weight is osteoarthritis.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
It's not an illness but most people are Vitamin D deficient, particularly fat people because it's fat soluble so doesn't distribute/metabolize properly in people with higher body fat. Deficiency in this vitamin can also cause depression. It's easily treatable and symptoms noticeably disappear with regular use.

EMH1701

I would have said the common cold, since everyone, fat or thin, seems to get it at some point.

The common cold is one of the few things in life that is truly non-discriminatory.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
http://www.facebook.com/kenneth.c.phillips,
It's not an illness but most people are Vitamin D deficient, particularly fat people because it's fat soluble so doesn't distribute/metabolize properly in people with higher body fat. Deficiency in this vitamin can also cause depression. It's easily treatable and symptoms noticeably disappear with regular use.
I never knew that. Could it also be due to lack of sun exposure? I don't usually see a lot of fat people with a tan. Ever since I broke my neck I've been taking vitamin B and D. I stay pretty pale now. I have to carefully watch my sun exposure.

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
I don't know Many people who suffer from depression have a hard time eating (my mother at 5'2 and 95 people is a good example) If you can't get out of bed, it is hard to muster the energy to fix yourself something to eat and then actually eat it I am ill (with physical illness) right now and the last thing I want to do is eat.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
I was recently diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and one of the symptoms is eating disorders. It depends on the individual as far as what type of eating disorder. Mine just happens to be bing eating disorder. I also suffer from depression and eat because of that as well. I'm sure they're intertwined.

But I also have hypothyroid disorder, which can contribute to weight gain.

I was made to be fat I guess lol

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
But I also have hypothyroid disorder, which can contribute to weight gain.

I was made to be fat I guess lol
Hey Largenlovely,

Are you being treated for your hypothyroid? I'm just curious as I was recently diagnosed with that as well If so, is the treatment working? And how do you tell? Blood work?

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Moonvine, I'm hypothyroid as well. I see an endocrinologist (and I'm fortunate enough to have found an awesome one). And yes, it's confirmed both by bloodwork and how I'm feeling. If I can answer any questions for you, just ask (here or via PM - either way you're comfortable).

Edited to add: I am being treated (Synthroid 112mcg), and have seen a small boost in energy, but no weight loss (though I have an eating disorder concurrently, so it's hard to tell what's what).

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
Moonvine, I'm hypothyroid as well. I see an endocrinologist (and I'm fortunate enough to have found an awesome one). And yes, it's confirmed both by bloodwork and how I'm feeling. If I can answer any questions for you, just ask (here or via PM - either way you're comfortable).

Edited to add: I am being treated (Synthroid 112mcg), and have seen a small boost in energy, but no weight loss (though I have an eating disorder ], so it's hard to tell what's what].

Hi there BigBeautifulMe,

I have not seen the endocrinologist yet, There are only 4 in my town that take my insurance. One requires a referral (which I have asked my doc for but he does everything himself, does not have a nurse, and so may take a few days to get back with me) and the other one has no appointments for new patients until May I'm sick with bronchitis at the moment and it is hard to muster up the energy to deal with this.

I am interested to hear that you have not lost much weight I asked my referring doc if I would lose wight and he said I should end up in the average range Of course my boyfriend likes larger women After the 40 lb weight loss due to the removal of the ovarian tumor I am just not equipped to deal with more health problems. I would not mind losing some weight because I believe it would help me with my karate, but I really do not want to lose too much On the other hand the thyroid needs to be addressed.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
It's possible your thyroid is much more messed up than mine and is affecting your weight more... who knows. As I said, I have an eating disorder that affects things, so who knows if it would have made a difference without that complicating matters.

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
I've worked with a guy that got diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I swear he lost 200 pounds in a year once they got that squared away.
OMG if I lose 200 pounds my partner will not be attracted to me anymore, I can almost guarantee it.

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
It's possible your thyroid is much more messed up than mine and is affecting your weight more... who knows. As I said, I have an eating disorder that affects things, so who knows if it would have made a difference without that complicating matters.
Thank you. I am trying not to freak out. There are all of 4 endocrinologists in this town who take my insurance, so...

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
Hey Largenlovely,

Are you being treated for your hypothyroid? I'm just curious as I was recently diagnosed with that as well If so, is the treatment working? And how do you tell? Blood work?
Yes I am...I'm supposed to be checked for thyroid cancer annually but thanks to my insurance I'm not able to do that.

My main symptoms from my thyroid being out were 1) the inability to lose weight 2) my nails had gotten really bad 3) dry skin and 4) sleepy aaaaall the time. Like super sleepy. The kind where u wake up dizzy headed and groggy and can't even turn over in bed kinda sleepy.

I'm just going through my GP at the moment. The tumors were found on my thyroid 10 years ago by an endocrinologist in Illinois but my thyroid levels weren't completely out of whack yet. We knew it was coming at some point though.

I'm in the same boat as Ginny. I have binge eating disorder so I'm not trying to lose weight or anything. though when it finally went kaput on me, I was exercising 1-2 hrs a day and only eating 1200-1400 calories a day and wasn't losing any weight. I'm not sure how it would do now. We're still keeping tabs on it to see if the meds need adjusting

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
Just to add..I said my main symptoms "were", past tense, because I don't have many symptoms now that I'm taking the levothyroxine. But If I even miss one pill though, it throws my sleeping off. I forgot to take them for 3 days in a row over the thanksgiving holiday and it messed me all up. I was sleeping 16 hrs at a time..it was terrible. I try to make sure to take it religiously.

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
Just to add..I said my main symptoms "were", past tense, because I don't have many symptoms now that I'm taking the levothyroxine. But If I even miss one pill though, it throws my sleeping off. I forgot to take them for 3 days in a row over the thanksgiving holiday and it messed me all up. I was sleeping 16 hrs at a time..it was terrible. I try to make sure to take it religiously.

Hey LargeandLovely,

Don't know if you have a smart phone, but there's a free app that lets you set reminders to take your meds It also has stuff like contraindications (I almost took Theraflu the other day but didn't because it has a reaction with one of the other meds I'm taking)

Are you still in Mobile? Want to do lunch sometime?

I'm already taking four pills a day More pills Woot.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I never knew that. Could it also be due to lack of sun exposure? I don't usually see a lot of fat people with a tan. Ever since I broke my neck I've been taking vitamin B and D. I stay pretty pale now. I have to carefully watch my sun exposure.
Sorry I missed this.

It would seem that it's not a lack of sun exposure so much as other environmental factors are depleting Vitamin D from our bodies. Increased sun exposure once one is deficient, will not balance out, so hanging out at the beach or joining a tanning salon won't cut it. Supplements of D (almost always D3) are necessary and thankfully inexpensive.

It's become such a, I won't use the word *epidemic*, but it's so common doctors are now routinely testing for deficiency in it during regular labwork.

FYI, I see MANY fat people with tans, so YMMV.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Vitamin D deficiencies are very common in larger folks simply because Vitamin D is fat-soluble. The fat cells absorb the vitamin D, which doesn't allow it to circulate throughout the body like it needs to. At least, this is my understanding.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Vitamin D deficiencies are very common in larger folks simply because Vitamin D is fat-soluble. The fat cells absorb the vitamin D, which doesn't allow it to circulate throughout the body like it needs to. At least, this is my understanding.
Yes, I mentioned that in another post above.

Latest posts