• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

The weight of fashion - a rant

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet Tooth

Deep. W i d e.
Before I start my rant, let me say that I'm so incredibly glad that I can find cute, fashionable clothing in my size! I love the progress we've made in the fashion world. I also realize there's some basic physics involved in larger clothing - more body to cover = more fabric = heavier items.

So now, my rant...

I'm get tired sometimes of the limitations of the weight of fat clothing. What brought this on, you ask?

Last night, at 12:15 am, I was sitting innocently on my computer, listening to a DVD with headphones so as not to disturb sleeping hubby or the neighbors. Suddenly, I heard this almighty crash that scared the crap out of me, easily heard with my headphones on and a movie blaring. What happened? The shelving in the closet fell down. The apartment complex installed basic Closet Maid stuff. One of the wall brackets broke and the support bar bent. I didn't have a full rack of clothing. It was, at best, 2/3 full when all my clothes [and Tef's] were hanging on it, and I still had 2 loads of laundry in the washer and dryer. The closet was installed per manufacturer directions. So why did this thing fall apart? I'm wondering how much the weight of my clothes - not taking up any more space on the length of the rack, but certainly heavier than an equivalent item for a size 2 - contributed to the shelving's demise.

I hate that I have to buy extra-wide hangers [at 3 for $3 instead of 10 for $1] if I want to hang my pants or to not have shoulder bumps in my shirts. And then your closet has to accommodate those hangers! [Years ago, I installed a closet system with extra deep shelving for this reason, but have since moved out of that place.]

I hate that I follow all the guidelines for packing "light" and still get nasty comments from airline personnel and overweight fees on my luggage. I've learned to wear my heavier shoes and pack the light ones [usually a pair of sandals or flip flops], choose thinner tops, take one jacket that goes with everything [which still ends up on my back or getting carted by hand through the airport], pack lightweight pants instead of heavy jeans.... and yet....

I'm just glad someone started putting wheels on luggage.

heavy_tags.jpg

Latest posts

Back