• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Travel & Immigration While Fat

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candy_Coated_Clown

I know the U.S. definitely discriminates against most who don't fit the standard weight and height requirements of the BMI chart. People are deemed unhealthy even if they literally have no ailments or diseases. One can certainly be denied health insurance because of this. It makes me wonder if people coming INTO the U.S. to live, study, or work are judged by this standard.

There have been topics about traveling on the plane while fat and that's a specific type of discussion because it relates to fitting in plane seats and enduring any treatment that happens from others on the plane that might have disdain for fat people, but I was wondering about traveling while fat (experiences once you arrive to a country/countries for visiting) and especially regarding immigration.

I've seen this on many immigration sites under requirements for immigration to, studying in, or working in other countries:

"You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary."

How would you interpret this, personally? Do you think this means that other countries might deem someone unfit if they simply don't fit certain weight/height standards? Is it hard for fat people to travel extensively and live/move to other countries because of weight?

I would especially be interested in hearing from those who do a lot of traveling or who've lived in various places around the globe (even if that means several places in one country or more than 2 countries). What have been your experiences traveling/living in other places, while fat?

For those that travel/live in other places as couples and one partner is thin, how does this affect your travel together if there is fat discrimination for your partner?

Do you find some countries more or less fat friendly than others?

Even with being proud of accepting of one's fat, does any of this ever make you want to lose weight just so that you don't run into problems traveling/living in other countries?

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience living in a variety of places outside of the U.S. and my visits outside of the U.S. extend only to Canada, so not much I can say in answering my own questions.

Back