vending machines to furnish calorie count

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Your federal government at work.

My favorite assertion: if only .02% of overweight adults would reduce their calorie intake by 100 calories per week, it would pay for this program. I'd love to know how they reached those figures. :rolleyes:

NurseVicki

DimensionsModel
Wont they lose money if we don't eat out of their machines? if i want chocolate I am going to buy chocolate I dont care who says it has a lot of calories! If all the less fatting stuff is a bigger portion and cost a lot less I might buy it! So they wont pay for it as easy lol

NurseVicki

DimensionsModel
I feel sorry for the vending Machine owners who have to spend money on machines that don't make them that much to start with! my friend does add healthy snacks and bottled water to his machines. The water sale better then the healthy snacks he says!

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I used to work for a vending company. No matter where in NYC and NJ they were placed, everything was eaten. Sometimes we had to go back several times a week to refill because they were cleaned out. There's something for everyone.

If you can ignore the nutritional information at the supermarket, then you can ignore it at a vending machine. Some people need it for health reasons. Some people get off on on consuming as many calories, fat, etc. as possible. I see it making no difference at all.

EMH1701

I don't even eat at vending machines anymore because the prices have gotten so high these days. It's far cheaper to bring snack foods from home to eat at work.

Azrael

I don't understand why this is needed AT ALL.

I mean, they have the calories on the damn side of the food already, if some people can't be bothered to look onto the side of what they're eating and then balance everything else out throughout the day, then *shrug*.

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena
I don't understand why this is needed AT ALL. I mean, they have the calories on the damn side of the food already, if some people can't be bothered to look onto the side of what they're eating and then balance everything else out throughout the day, then *shrug*.
Because vending machines aren't usually loaded nutritional information side out, so you don't know it until after you buy. I really do not understand any of the objections to this.

Skye23

The objections are sort of two-fold. Number 1 is that the majority of vending machines are owned by people who only own a few of them, not some massive number. Its not like say all the vending machines at a huge amusement park or something. Two of my friends in the past have done vm routes and in general it was something like 5-20 machines, tops. Because those machines were in different locations they had to have different inventories - ie the one that was near the health club needed more "healthy" stuff, the one in the ethnic part of town needed more ethnic and spicy foods etc. Since they owned the machines and staffed them the inventory for each machine might vary week to week. This new law will mean they'll have to update the info for each machine, every week, based on what they were able to buy at a reasonable price THAT week. Trust me, profit margins are slim.

Reason 2 - if you look on the back of the packet of whatever you bought and you find yourself shocked, you won't buy THAT again. Most people know a candy bar is about 240 calories, 1oz of pretzels is about 100-120 calories, 1oz of chips is 160 or so etc. If what you bought is too much, you don't buy it again. Its a LOT of work for largely underpaid people to give information that few people will actively use, or don't already know.

Latest posts