What's Your Favorite Cult?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
I must speak out on the Mormons behalf - most of my interaction with them has been positive. (I was raised a Southern Baptist). Good things about the Mormon church . . . .

1. They have contributed an incredible amount of geneology information to our society.
2. They have a rockin' choir at the beautiful Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City. I couild listen to them for hours. Their marvelous pipe organ in the church is one of the world's best.
3. They were one of the first groups to prepare for disasters. Mormon families try to stock up at least a years worth of non-perishable food and water for emergencies.
4. Their recipes and cooking style is down home and great too
5. I worked part-time a few years for a Mormon woman who was a head librarian. She treated me very well and was one of the best supervisors I have ever had.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for real cults, I nominate
1. Tony Alamo who had a compound in Altus, AR and second the following nominees . . . .
2. Congress as Ho Ho Tai suggested
3. And Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple as Butler Girl said, (a noteworthy convergence happened between #2 and #3 groups, when Jim Jones ordered and carried out the execution of a member of Congress)
4. Scientology as Casting Pearls named.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Oh I can't take credit for mentioning it first, Boo-Boo, that was LovesBHMs.

I'm on the line about Latter Day Saints. I would say from knowing some quite well, that the usual crowd has an impressive code of ethics and community. I've seen it, experienced true unselfish kindness, firsthand. I've also heard the horror stories and the abuse and the freaky-deaky beliefs like the holy underpants and the secret stuff is all very well recorded in its own history and that of those that have fallen away. One could argue, however that there are many different interpretations of a cult and that some of them would include all religions, even mainstream like Roman Catholicism. This one's a tough call for me. I reserve judgement.

And Ned, I commend you for your emoticon restraint. I could actually read that without a brain owie. Yes, the minions can be quite brutal, and we don't see eye to eye on much, but do agree on some and I don't hate you and never did. :)

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
Oh I can't take credit for mentioning it first, Boo-Boo, that was LovesBHMs.

I'm on the line about Latter Day Saints. I would say from knowing some quite well, that the usual crowd has an impressive code of ethics and community. I've seen it, experienced true unselfish kindness, firsthand. I've also heard the horror stories and the abuse and the freaky-deaky beliefs like the holy underpants and the secret stuff is all very well recorded in its own history and that of those that have fallen away. One could argue, however that there are many different interpretations of a cult and that some of them would include all religions, even mainstream like Roman Catholicism. This one's a tough call for me. I reserve judgement.

And Ned, I commend you for your emoticon restraint. I could actually read that without a brain owie. Yes, the minions can be quite brutal, and we don't see eye to eye on much, but do agree on some and I don't hate you and never did. :)
The LDS meets the definition of Cult. All you have to do is read up about the church and you will see how they are a classicly defined cult system. I lost my oldest, dearest friend to this organization. She became a Mormon, and cut all ties to her friends and family because we are evil non-believers. That is one of the true definitions. Members are encouraged to cut all non-members from their lives because the church can't stand up to scrutiny and they can't allow members to be pulled away.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
The LDS meets the definition of Cult. All you have to do is read up about the church and you will see how they are a classicly defined cult system. I lost my oldest, dearest friend to this organization. She became a Mormon, and cut all ties to her friends and family because we are evil non-believers. That is one of the true definitions. Members are encouraged to cut all non-members from their lives because the church can't stand up to scrutiny and they can't allow members to be pulled away.
They do meet the definition of 'cult'--I don't argue with that. In fact, I DID point out that some definitions of 'cult' also include mainstream religions, some, all organized religion.

I've read up plenty on cults because I'm an amateur hobbyist when it comes to them, so I know the history of which you speak.

I also have friends who are LDS and all of them are devout, in touch with non-LDS friends and family, including family who were former LDS. One of my friends of over 12 years is straight from Salt Lake City, and I've met most of her LDS friends during gatherings, so I doubt she's an anomaly. She's also never proselyted me to join her faith. Other than what goes on inside the secret ceremonies and areas of the Temples, she's very open to discussing her faith if someone asks her about it.

I'm not denying your experience with your friend, nor minimizing it. I'm saying that my dealings with LDS shows otherwise but perhaps it has to do with the specific group they meet with to worship? I know that my growing up in a fundy church, and even being born into Roman Catholicism, every parish, every church had their own way of doing things, some more strict than others.

Latest posts