• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

WLS from a Fitness Expert's Point of View

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne_Zitkus

Proud FA Since 1962
I did a Google search on WLS today, and found the following article written by fitness expert Phil Kaplan. It looks like he did a lot of research on the subject, talking to several bariatric surgeons and many WLS patients.

I have only posted a few highlights from the article, to comply with the copyright laws. I urge everyone who's interested in this subject to follow the link at the bottom to read the article in its entirity. It seems to be a very balanced and informative article.

Bariatric Surgery

Fitness Expert Phil Kaplan discusses some of the considerations that should be weighed when considering a gastric bypass or any weight reduction surgery.

Singer and talk show host Carnie Wilson has pretty much become the poster person for bariatric surgery and now surgeons are advertising their services and why not? As obesity skyrockets, surgery that promises to bring an obese individual back to a manageable weight has great appeal. The ads, unfortunately, seem to sway people into finding the potential outcomes as positive, when there are serious risks that should carefully be weighed out.

The two most common Bariatric procedures are banded gastroplasty and the bypass. I'll explain the basics of each. Keep in mind, I am not a medical doctor, and this information is the result only of a foundational knowledge of anatomy combined with extensive interviews with medical professionals and bariatric patients.

Before I explain the procedures, you should know that every bariatric patient I spoke to told me the residual pain was far more severe than they expected, even with lengthy pre-surgery consults with doctors.

<snip>

It's important to note that this surgery is drastic and is only a consideration for the morbidly obese, people who have over 100 pounds to lose. It should not be viewed as a shortcut for someone struggling to lose 25 or 30 pounds (although I fear that as its popularity grows, unethical doctors will be compelled to tap further into the potential for accumulating great wealth creating "pouches"). Since the surgery should only target as candidates people with 100 pounds plus of excess weight, most who are approved for surgery will likely have risk factors going in. Obesity, as you know, contributes to likelihood of hypertension, diabetes, and pulmonary problems, all issues that can greatly affect the risk associated with any surgery.

Interestingly, while many candidates for bariatric surgical procedures have joint issues, arthritis, circulatory and respiratory problems, the stomach and the small intestine are often working quite well. It's sort of ironic that the surgery on a patient with many maladies can cripple two fully functional organs, the stomach and the small intestine. Since most of absorption normally occurs in the small intestine, the risks of malnutrition or nutrient deficiency are very real.

Complications from bariatric surgery can include:

o - Spilling of gastric juices and digests into the abdomen

o - Peritonitis (a potentially fatal abdominal infection)

o - Malnutrition

o - Nutrient Deficiencies

o - Nausea and Vomiting

o - Dehydration

o - Blood clots

In severe cases, the following long term complications may emerge:

Dumping Syndrome, where stomach contents move too quickly through the small intestine. This can result in violent vomiting and diarrhea, chronic nausea, weakenss, sweating, and an inability to eat sweets without unpleasant or serious consequences.

Gallstones are formed when cholesterol and other matter form clumps in the gallbladder. It appears that the more significant the weight loss, the greater the likelihood of gallstones. Statistically it appears that more than 1/3 of bariatric surgery patients develop gallstones.

Weakening of bone and/or Metabolic Bone Disease can be the result of decreased absorption of calcium.

Anemia may result from malabsorption of vitamin B12 and iron, particularly in menstruating women.

Childbearing is not recommended for women who have undergone bariatric surgery and many develop residual hair loss and skin problems.

<snip>

I should also mention that in speaking to more than a dozen bariatric surgeons from different parts of the United States, every one told me that their surgical patients had all been through 10-20 years of dieting. By now you should understand, consistent bouts with calorie deprivation guarantee a slower metabolism, greater propensity for fat storage, and a far greater challenge in shedding fat in the future. If these patients were taught to eat supportively and to exercise in a harmony with their healthful nutrition regimen, I strongly believe many could move past the desperation that leads them to face the surgical risks in the hope of being 'rescued."

While I promised I would keep the identities of the bariatric patients I spoke to confidential, I don't believe I'd be violating any confidence if I shared the following:

While several said life was better after the post surgery weight loss, not one of them felt they could live the normal life they'd hoped for. They all felt they had to constantly watch what they put in their mouth. They all feared regaining the weight. Many were confused by all the nutritional supplements they were encouraged to take, some found it difficult to get down the oversized pills, and many frequently found themselves with abdominal pain, low energy, and bouts of nausea.

Even some of the patients who were satisfied with the result and expressed that they were happier since the surgery had suffered undesirable effects such as hair loss, bad breath, gum and dental issues, and violent vomiting if they took in more food than was recommended.

<more>

http://www.philkaplan.com/thefitnesstruth/bariatric.htm

Latest posts

Back