• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

1200 pound Mexican man to receive WLS in Italy

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamanthaNY

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄&
I swear we're heard of this man/story before, but for some reason it's news again today (via Drudge).

"World's fattest man" to be operated on in Italy
Sep 05 1:07 PM US/Eastern

A Mexican weighing 550 kilos (86 stone, 1,204 pounds) and thought to be the fattest man in the world is to have his bodyweight surgically reduced in Italy, one of his surgeons told the Ansa news agency on Tuesday.

Manuel Uribe Garza, 40, is to travel to Modena, central Italy, for his operation.

Uribe Garza, 1.90 metres (six feet three inches) tall, has been suffering from "morbid obesity" for around 20 years and is no longer mobile.

"We will hold a meeting in the coming days to work out the details of the hospitalisation and to prepare the operating theatre and the appropriate surgical tools," professor Giancarlo DeBernardinis said on Tuesday.

"That is actually our main problem," he explained: "We have to create a tailor-made operating theatre and we will also need extra-large tools and surgical retractors."

DeBernardinis has already operated on around 1,000 overweight people, according to Ansa.

He visited his future patient in Mexico in March, and will travel there again this month before giving the operation the final go-ahead.

Since March, "the situation has not improved; it has even got worse judging by the latest photos he sent me," the professor said.

"He is receiving dietary treatment that is proving no use whatsoever," he added: "in cases such as this one, there is no alternative but to operate."

In January Uribe Garza told the Mexican television channel Televisa that until he was 22 -- when he weighed 130 kilos (20 stone) -- he lived a normal life and worked in the United States.

"Then I kept getting fatter, and I very quickly became obese," he said.

The Italian doctors plan to create "a series of short-circuits" in Uribe Garza's intestines, reducing their food absorption so that "only 10 percent of the intestine is available for channelling food," DeBernardinis explained.

"In two years, Uribe should have lost a substantial portion of his 550 kilos," the doctor promised.

Latest posts

Back