2010-2011 NHL Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Well, we're on the brink of another NHL season. I'm already fatigued with salary cap talk, fantasy pool talk, etc... Meh! Let's get to the games!

Once again it looks like many are picking San Jose to break through this year and at least make the final. Same old story. Same with the Caps...Chicago was a wise pick last year, but who'd a thunk that Philly would rebound in the playoffs and only be two wins away from the Cup?

Out of the Canadian teams, the consensus is that Vancouver has a good shot at the Cup this year...Calgary made some bewildering moves. (preseason record aside, let's see how they do during the season...) Edmonton should still suck, but the kids are alright. They have a LOT to look forward to. Montreal should've kept Halak, but it will be fun to watch Price sink or swim. My Sens? The usual...deep lineup, nothing decent in goal. Hoping for a miracle there, or at least some consistency...

Toronto sucks no matter what they do...

Ola

Keeper of 'tinis
Totally stoked! Let's go CAPS! :D

Out of the Canadian teams, the consensus is that Vancouver has a good shot at the Cup this year...Calgary made some bewildering moves. (preseason record aside, let's see how they do during the season...) Edmonton should still suck, but the kids are alright. They have a LOT to look forward to. Montreal should've kept Halak, but it will be fun to watch Price sink or swim. My Sens? The usual...deep lineup, nothing decent in goal. Hoping for a miracle there, or at least some consistency...

Toronto sucks no matter what they do...

Vancouver for sure! But I say watch out for Edmonton. They're the boom/bust team of this year, and they'll be the next Washington/Pittsburgh/Chicago in a season or two. They've drafted ridiculously well for the last few years! :eek: It's all about how NHL-ready their prospects are, though. I think Paajarvi is definitely ready to go, and I'm hoping for a 50-point rookie season from him (and doubling that in a few years if he hits his potential). Not sure how good Hall or Eberle are since I haven't seen enough of them. Eberle looked good in the preseason games though... Hall shouldn't make a fool of himself either, but he's probably the least NHL-ready of the three IMO, based on the few games I've seen them in. In any case Edmonton is the team that I'm most excited about watching this year, even as a Caps fan. :bow:

Agreed on Toronto though. I mean I'm completely in love with the hockey tradition and the passionate fans, but the team seems to be in constant rebuild mode... They're kinda like Leksand, my favorite team in Sweden... they even have the same team colours, and they've both had Ed Belfour on the team! XP

Anyways, there will be lots of young kids to watch for me this year. Not sure how I'll keep up! xD Oliver Ekman-Larsson for the Yotes (fostered in Leksand, by the way. Plug-plug! :D) is another guy that has completely blown me away. I'm also extremely excited to see how Duchene has progressed over the summer. Just such an amazing story with that kid! Love how he got drafted by the team that he's cheered for all his life. I wish him all the best! :happy:

Then there's Jordan Schroeder. Personal favorite. I hope he gets to see some NHL action this season, but I hear he'll start the year in the AHL. :/

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Hall should be good, and he'll get better. Eberle is not only good, he's CLUTCH! He's the type of player that will get the big goal right when you need it. It's going to be very good to be an Oiler fan in the next few seasons...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Ah, it is almost here.....finally!

Toronto should be better, they have a much more solid defence, their goal tending should be acceptable, the question is can they score? I suspect not nearly enough, but they should be able to keep things close, and I think they'll be a lot harder to play against than in years past. <-- this coming from a Sens fan.

Sens are really going to miss Volchenkov, especially if/when either of Kuba or Philips is hurt or takes a penalty--who will kill it off? I think they'll allow more shots on net this year and far more goals. Their power play should be quite a bit better, but I think they'll be fighting to make the playoffs.

Elsewhere.....can Colorado and Pheonix build on what they put together last year? How much did Chicago have to let walk out the door? Does Detroit still have it? In general I'd rate the west as having more interesting stories than the east.

Outside of the NHL, will be interesting to see how the KHL does this year....are they getting anywhere close to being financially sustainable? I'd heard some talk of them putting a few teams outside of Russia, will be interesting to see if any of that goes ahead.

Ola

Keeper of 'tinis
Hall should be good, and he'll get better. Eberle is not only good, he's CLUTCH! He's the type of player that will get the big goal right when you need it. It's going to be very good to be an Oiler fan in the next few seasons...
Oh yeah I heard Eberle was clutch! Sounds like an extremely valuable player to have in the playoffs! :) God, I can't wait till they brigh Lander and Rajala over from Europe... Take it from a Swede though, I think Omark will bust out hard. I saw he got the boot down to the AHL already but the people who are expecting a poor man's Forsberg should stop dreaming - that oughta be a VERY poor proverbial man in that case! :p

Outside of the NHL, will be interesting to see how the KHL does this year....are they getting anywhere close to being financially sustainable? I'd heard some talk of them putting a few teams outside of Russia, will be interesting to see if any of that goes ahead.
I actually saw St. Petersburg beat the Canes 5-3 the other day - awesome game! Although I don't have very high hopes for the KHL long-term.

They already have teams outside of Russia though. :) But it's countries like Latvia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan. Unless they test the market in countries like Poland or Romania I don't see them expanding further into Europe, however. Maaaaybe they can get a Czech or Slovak team to join, but seeing as the "European Trophy" (pre-season tournament) was launched this year, I'd say it's more likely for that to be an embryo for a new European League. I heard rumours they're thinking of making it a Nordic Division (Swe/Fin/Nor/Den) and a Central Division (Cze/Ger/Svk/Sui/Aut/Slo), but we'll see. The European Trophy tournament already has teams from Sweden, Finland, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic, in any case.

At most I see them sharing some sort of playoff system with the KHL teams, or maybe they put the European Champion in a playoff series against the KHL champion at the end of the season. I dunno, but I sure hope the KHL stays out of Europe... The league has far too many questionmarks financially, their recently implemented draft system is just ridiculous. :S

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
TSN was pretty much unanimous in picking Detroit to win the Cup this year. Very interesting. They have the talent, but a few guys are a little long in the tooth...

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
I'm excited that I'll actually be able to follow my team this season.

:>

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
...And I'm looking forward to watching my team beat Buffalo tonight!

JMCGB

TSN was pretty much unanimous in picking Detroit to win the Cup this year. Very interesting. They have the talent, but a few guys are a little long in the tooth...

Never underestimate the Wings!!! Yes a few guys are a little long in the tooth but the team really isn't as old as people make us out to be. All I gotta say is watch out Western Conference!!!

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Well, it's only the first game....

...and you're STILL the Slugs!

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Awww hell to the motherfuckin' YEAH.

Let's go, Buffalo.:D:D

Ola

Keeper of 'tinis
*bump*

Glad to see the caps doing well so far! :D And Edmonton starting out with two wins (same with the Leafs, I think?). Will be interesting to see if they can keep it up!

JMCGB

*bump*

Glad to see the caps doing well so far! :D And Edmonton starting out with two wins (same with the Leafs, I think?). Will be interesting to see if they can keep it up!

Looked like it was going to be a rough start for the Caps with that first one in Atlanta but they came back form real quick. Neuvirth is playing really well too. Wings had their first hiccup last night by letting one get away to the Avs at home but all in all really happy with how they look so far.

Latest posts