Are you ready for christmas?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

shazz2602

doing that think you do
Its not long now till christmas and speaking to some friends they already have all their presents. Which i find quite strange are you that organised too?
Then some of my friends have bought a few presents unlike me who hasn't even thought about getting a present and i wont be thinking of getting one till atleast the start of december.
So are you all ready?
If not when will you start?

frankman

The Eternal Cowboy
No, not really. I mean, it's different over here in Holland. We do not really have a Santa Clause over here, but we d have a Sinterklaas (almost the same; long white beard, red suit, but thinner and not thought up by Coca-Cola. Cross breed between Wodan and a Catholic Saint. Gives kiddies gifts.) And his birthday is celebrated the 5th of december. We don't have haloween.
Now, the stores would like nothing more than a 3 month Christmas; America does X-mas gifts, the rest of the civilized world wants to do gifts too = mucho dinero for the stores. BUT Sinterklaas is kind of firmly rooted in the Dutch society, so they just put Sinterklaas stuff in the stores somewhere around July, and te very minute he's officially gone (the 6th), his stuff will be replaced with X-mas stuff.
Large department stores aren't bothered with cultural heritage of course, so there you can buy your X-mas presents (something very un-Dutch, but hey...) and decorations as early as june.

So before there are X-mas gifts to buy, most people in Holland first buy gifts for their kids to celebrate Sinterklaas.

Sorry for the rant. In short: no, I haven't bought any presents yet.

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!
June? SinterKlaas and Christmas? And you seem to be disgusted with our holiday marketing? :rolleyes:

frankman

The Eternal Cowboy
June? SinterKlaas and Christmas? And you seem to be disgusted with our holiday marketing? :rolleyes:
Oh no, that's not how I meant it. Yes, I am disgusted with holiday marketing in general, but what I meant was that you have the Coca Cola man. He's yours. And that's cool. We have Sinterklaas, which is also cool. But somehow, Holland's marketing apparatus seems to force more and more holidays and customs upon the people. We didn't really have valetines until 10 years ago, haloween (although not celebrated yet) is upcoming.

I'm just curious if big stores can force thanksgiving, or the 4th of July upon us as well. And I'm affraid they WILL, no matter how much something is rooted in a someone else's culture.

I'm really sorry I sound so disgruntled, but there you go.:rolleyes:

Shosh

Susannah
I don't celebrate Christmas so no I am not really ready for it.:p

garbled

fighting the fight
I am not ready for it, as a real man i do my xmas shopping drunk at 4 pm on christmas eve,No i dont actually i am starting this weekend with some early present shopping and will have everything present wise finished by the 2nd week in november, my food and drink orders will be done by dec 10th and then as usual i will wake up on christmas morning to realise i have forgotten some vital ingredient for the christmas dinner.

babyjeep21

Kamikaze Peanut Butter
... not thought up by Coca-Cola.
Oh no, that's not how I meant it. Yes, I am disgusted with holiday marketing in general, but what I meant was that you have the Coca Cola man.
Santa Claus and Coca-Cola have nothing to do with one another.... Coca-Cola just uses the idea of him in their commercials. That must be what you're thinking. That has to do with marketing, not our cultural.

I admit, I'm pretty disenchanted sometimes with Christmas and marketing... but you sound like you've got me beat.

I can hardly see how department stores could force something upon you. Don't buy in if you're not interested. I can't see why people would invest in something that isn't part of their culture anyway.

Haunted

Bi-Coastal!!!
Santa Claus and Coca-Cola have nothing to do with one another.... Coca-Cola just uses the idea of him in their commercials. That must be what you're thinking. That has to do with marketing, not our cultural.

I admit, I'm pretty disenchanted sometimes with Christmas and marketing... but you sound like you've got me beat.

I can hardly see how department stores could force something upon you. Don't buy in if you're not interested. I can't see why people would invest in something that isn't part of their culture anyway.
actually babyjeep our current image of Santa was indeed invented by an artist hired by coca cola for an ad campaign many many years ago somehow that image became embraced by all of America

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
Until December 1, my response to this question will be "Go fuck yourself."

Reactions: Tad

babyjeep21

Kamikaze Peanut Butter
actually babyjeep our current image of Santa was indeed invented by an artist hired by coca cola for an ad campaign many many years ago somehow that image became embraced by all of America
I guess I should have elaborated. Sorry. :)

I think that the image is one thing. The idea behind it is another.

I'm talking about cultural significance. You know... Saint Nicholas, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas.

AKA... Santa Claus.

Also....Thomas Nast created our idea of Santa Claus in 1863 for Harper's Weekly. Coca-Cola didn't exist until 1886.

:)

george83

DADDY IN A DRESS
Not in the slightest!

I love christmas but I usually dont start buying presents til december, which is not the smartest thing to do.

Carol W.

Are you KIDDING? I'm not even ready for Halloween yet! (seriously, I haven't laid in the candy yet-cause I'd eat it.) I try not to think of Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving. THEN I go into it big time. Well, as big time as I can. I just hate those damn anal people who have all their shopping done before December 1; who do they think they are???? (yeah, I know-organized......)

Zandoz

Highly irregular
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

I will NEVER be ready for Christmas! I hate just about everything about the period from November through March, but above all of it I HATE that holiday. I make the Grinch and Scrooge look like Christmas cheerleaders!

pinkylou

Freak on a Leash
I love Christmas, I buy my wrapping paper and cards in the January sales for the following year :) I'll probably start my shopping proper next week, woohoo!

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Shazz, it isn't personal, but the title of this thread, at this time of year, made me briefly wish for an 'un-rep' tool :eek:

(aka: what beej said)

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I am NEVER ready for Christmas. However, I have laid in a copious supply of coals and switches for my richly deserving nieces and nephews.:D

Lady at Large

I'm not even ready for Halloween yet and that is only a few days away, Christmas is out there lurking somewhere in the distant future!

During the holidays I am honestly only there for the food.

shazz2602

doing that think you do
Are you KIDDING? I'm not even ready for Halloween yet! (seriously, I haven't laid in the candy yet-cause I'd eat it.) I try not to think of Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving. THEN I go into it big time. Well, as big time as I can. I just hate those damn anal people who have all their shopping done before December 1; who do they think they are???? (yeah, I know-organized......)
Shazz, it isn't personal, but the title of this thread, at this time of year, made me briefly wish for an 'un-rep' tool :eek:

(aka: what beej said)
Here in England the christmas things come out in september, we dont really celerbrate Halloween and ofcourse we dont celerbrate thanks giving, and once christmas is over the eater eggs will be in the shops! welcome to the madness of England!!

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
Yes!!! :) :) I started my Christmas shopping (mostly online so far) and have my list of what I'm getting everyone....trying to figure out who I'm baking cookies for and figuring out how much of what ingredients I need, making my Christmas card lists with addresses and all that fun stuff.

BTW...I LOVE the Coca Cola image of Santa. I think he's beautiful and warm and glowy :blush:

I love Christmas :D

I generally don't start all this until late November, but between trying to spend time with the new hubby, school, working full time, guitar lessons, appointments and everything else I have going on I know that if I don't start now, I'll be overwhelmed and really broke.