Article - 7 backhanded compliments fat women with skinny boyfriends are tired of hear

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by fuelingfire, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Sep 5, 2017 #1

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

2. Sep 5, 2017 #2

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

To quote from an online summary of "The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense"

All of those 7 things meet that thing about stresses, they could be sincere comments or questions from a good friend if said one way, but are really attacks if emphasized another way. Most of them leave the presupposition unsaid (which is roughly 'to make up for the fact that you are fat').

The responses in the article are OK, in that they play the game well -- returning their serve with a spin so to speak, by taking the bait and turning it around to a positive. Or you could indicate that you don't want to play the game by responding to the supposition, asking in a level sort of way "Why is that you think he's different from any other guy, just choosing to date a woman he's attracted to?" It is apt to make the conversation awkward pretty quickly anytime you respond to the presupposition of an attack rather than the bait, but sometimes that is totally worthwhile.

3. Sep 5, 2017 #3

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

I don’t think any of them are meant as an attack. The pictures behind each quote kind of make it seem that way. It’s more like someone is thinking out loud rather than filtering what they should say. They are passive aggressive. It’s a complement with a backhand. Like saying, “I love how you just wear anything.”

Usually I have heard them from acquaintances, rather than friends. These sort of comments are usually either met with silence or an awkward “Thanks.”

Showed the article to my girlfriend. She hasn’t heard any of them. But thinks people are way to surprised to find out we are a couple. Or at least far more than they should.

4. Sep 7, 2017 #4

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

I skimmed through the article at work and may need to give it a second look. I've found with the fat girl/fit guy combo people tend to be either openly nasty, hide their contempt, or may actually be accepting. I haven't experienced the sort of cluelessness or passive aggressiveness the writer describes and as far as I know my wife hasn't either.

On the other side of this coin is the patronizing "compliment" I sometimes get when I share my preference for bigger girls: "You see what's inside as beautiful." While true, it's not like that's all there is to it. It's not like I'm some pure minded hero to fat girls everywhere who "looks past their appearance" and sees the beauty of their character. No, I'm a guy who is visually motivated like most guys are. And I happen to like the way fat girls look. I don't deserve any props for liking fat girls or having a fat wife. I'm a regular guy who, like any guy anywhere, wants to have a beautiful partner. In my case I do. It just happens she's above the mainstream ideal weight for a woman. Why do people assume I'm some great guy for being happy with a fat wife? Do they not understand that is to me what a Cowboys cheerleader may be to another man?

5. Sep 7, 2017 #5

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

It’s not really much of an article. I haven’t overheard, "You must make him laugh every day." Or "I'm glad to see he's actually happy... with you." The rest of them I have. I don’t care much about being outed as a FA, but I hate it when fat women receive these comments.

I just took the article of an example of how clueless people can be. The line of thought, all guys want skinny girls. Sees a guy with a fat woman, and assumes he would rather be with a thin woman but found something else that made up for it within her. It almost like thinking fat women with boyfriends possess some sort of magic that thin women don’t have.

6. Sep 14, 2017 #6

Heavy_Cream

Heavy_Cream

Heavy_Cream

7. Sep 14, 2017 #7

Extinctor100

Extinctor100

Extinctor100

Looking for Angels

*leans over to the mic* Petty envy. *walks away*

To get more psychological about it, it's a unique sort of frustration when someone "inferior" to them succeeds where they haven't succeeded. It defies their concept of what they viewed as their superior traits... in this case, thinness. Metaphorically, it's like the hare being angry the tortoise won a race he "should've" won.

Dr. Feelgood likes this.