• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Assumptions that fat folk will date other fat folk?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I’d mentioned in another thread that I think sometimes there is an assumption that people will hook up with similar people, including that fat people will hook up with other fat people. Someone suggested that this might be worth talking about in a new thread.

I guess the first question is, do you sense this assumption from people? If you are fat, do you find people expect you to end up with someone who is fat? Maybe I’m the only one who gets this impression, I don’t know.

I can think of a couple of reasons that people make this sort of assumption.

On the one hand, it could be that they assume nobody likes being fat or is attracted to fat people, so thin people won’t choose to hook up with fat people, so the fat people will have to settle for each other.

On the other hand, I think there is a tendency to assume that like will partner with like. That the tall lanky guy who likes folk music and hiking will be interested in the tall lanky woman interested in folk music and hiking. That one environmental activist will like another environmental activist. That someone from a particular ethnic or religious group will prefer to be with someone from the same religious or ethnic group. That a short guy will get together with a short gal. That people will seek others from similar economic and educational background as themselves. And so on. I’m pretty sure that there is some truth underlying these assumptions, in that obviously similar interests and values do make a relationship more likely. But I wonder if sometimes these things happen just because everyone expects it, and that there is resistance when people go the other way. That if a tall woman falls for a short guy, the relationship is that much more likely to fail because of the extra attention and skepticism it receives. Or to put it another way, was a lot of the hatred projected towards Yoko Ono because she did not come from the same country or ethnic group as John Lennon? They stuck it out, but how many people would not have, when it seemed the whole world disapproved of them being together?

So on that last point, I’m interested in the viewpoints of thin FFA—when you are going out with a fat guy, do you feel like there is a lot of resistance to it? If so, is it because people just have a hard time believing it, or is there an underlying sense of ‘you are breaking the rules’ to it? For BHM who are dating or have dated thinner FFA, did you notice resistance from others to this? Was there hostility, like you were stepping out of your place? Or out of proportion admiration, like you must be really amazing in some way, to have snagged this thin woman?

I’m curious to see other’s experiences and thoughts!

Regards;

-Ed

Latest posts

Back