Best & Worse Job You've Ever Had?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by BigElectricKat, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Jan 25, 2019 #1

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent? Staff Member Global Moderator

Name the best job and worse jobs you've had and why.

Best - Radio station DJ. This was a great job that I worked overnights on the weekends. People would send/bring gifts, when musical acts came to town (Panama City, FL) we would get to have lunch or dinner with them, and we were all given VIP cards to the clubs on the beach.:D

Worse - Dishwasher at a restaurant called Mr. Steak. The kitchen was not well run nor very clean. There was grease all over the floor most of the time and the drains frequently clogged. Every night I would go home and my feet were cold and achy from slipping and sliding in the greasy water. And they didn't all that well either.:eek:

AmyJo1976 likes this.
  2. Jan 25, 2019 #2

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

SSBBW & FFA

Best - Secretarial work. I have had a few different positions in this field, but I have maintained my current position at the DMV for the last seven years. It may not pay the most, but it suites me and I'm happy.

Worse - Waitress at several different restaurants. The worst one was Western Steer when I was in college. It was a steak house. The food was actually pretty good and reasonably priced, working there was a nightmare though. Like BEK's experience, I remember the kitchen floor being paved with brick and very slick from all the grease! lol! It was the worst to have to go into the kitchen and get your orders. I fell several times. Nothing more than bruises, but one more than one occasion, I ended up wearing someone's order.

BigElectricKat likes this.
  3. Jan 25, 2019 #3

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Sorry to hear about your woes at Western Steer. I have such fond memories from there. Many years ago, I had a friend who work at one and she introduced me to all of her coworkers. When I would come in, they would seat me off in a section by myself and the entire wait staff would take care of me. Next thing you know, the manager was giving me my meals for free! I almost always got the steak tips.:p

AmyJo1976 likes this.
  4. Jan 25, 2019 #4

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

SSBBW & FFA

Yes! The sirloin tips were the best! I miss their rolls more than anything though! They were so good with the honey and cinnamon butter! :D

BigElectricKat likes this.
  5. Jan 25, 2019 #5

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Funny side note - I was living in Panama City, FL at the time. One of the cooks lived in a nearby town known for their racist views (really a crappy town where they actually ran a family of color out of the town). Anyway, he was one of the cooks in this place and the first time he made me the sirloin tips, I took it upon myself to let him know that they were excellent. The best I'd ever had. A couple nights later, he came out and sat with me. He told me that no one had ever thanked him for cooking them a meal or expressing gratitude of any kind. That's when he told me about his upbringing and that he was starting to think his family was wrong in their racist views. He actually started to tear up when we talked because I think he may have done some not-so-nice things to people of color in the past. We made it a point to continue to talk from then on and he was a nice a respectful guy to me always.

Tad and AmyJo1976 like this.
  6. Jan 25, 2019 #6

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated

Hmm...interesting topic but I guess I've been lucky in that I've only had two jobs...okay, counting my teenage stint as a paperboy for four years, it's three jobs.

Since all jobs have their good and bad sides, I can't really determine a "worse" job.

The paperboy gig actually made me decent money for the early 1980s. I delivered an evening paper so I didn't have any of that early morning crap top deal with. Once my bill was paid, the rest was profit and I made pretty good tips. Yeah, I had asshole customers but it was experience working with money and people.

My post high school to the end of Grad School years were spent at Kmart. This was roughly 9 and a half years. This job had its ups and downs but it put gas in my car and paid for college books. I don't miss retail a bit though.

Finally, my current job since December 1993 is as a reference librarian: I make decent money doing something I like and went to school for. Again, this job has its ups and downs but I'm probably going to retire from the job in 10-15 more years.

So, I guess I'm lucky in being able to escape a "worst" job.

Tad and AmyJo1976 like this.
  7. Jan 26, 2019 #7

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

The best job I ever had was teaching Greek at the university: it is probably the most fun I have ever had with all my clothes on.

The worst job I ever had was busing tables at the officers' club on a Navy base. You who were once waiters and waitresses, do you remember the busboys? We remember you and how we hoped one day to rise to your exalted position.

The weirdest job I ever had was at the Farlow Herbarium of Harvard University. They have an enormous collection of dried plant specimens which they were transferring from paper containers to plastic ones. I was one of several people employed to put bits of dried moss into plastic bags. The oddest thing was that the workers sorted themselves into social classes based on what plants they were working with. For example, during our breaks we Moss People were careful to avoid the Algae People; it would never have done to mix with them. We never even saw the people who worked with flowering plants, because they had their own separate break room -- the snobs! But I still remember how excited everyone was the day the Fern Lady had coffee with us.

Tad and LeoGibson like this.
  8. Jan 27, 2019 #8

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

My worst.
    I worked in an assembly type job that rebuilt outboard engines. My very boring and repetitive job was to stand in one spot all day and sand blast parts.
    I hated it so much that everyday I wished to be involved in a horrific accident just so I didn't have to go to work that day

My second best was as a truck driver transporting exotic, classic and luxury cars. I loved driving ferraris, Mercedes, Rolls Royces and the such but my codriver is a heavy smoker and I don't smoke so I only stayed 6 months.

My most favorite job is my current one.
    I drive otr from Georgia to California and back. Lots of miles which is important to a truck driver. And I get to see new sites every day.

I have been driving for 5 years and through various jobs I have driven in all 48 states and 6 Canadian provinces. What a life!

Tad likes this.
  9. Jan 28, 2019 #9

BouncingBoy

BouncingBoy

BouncingBoy

Formerly known as Dragorat

To me the best job I had gave me my RL nickname,Rat!I spent a yr. & 1/2 as Chuck E. Cheese!I got to go out on promotional outings.I could just let go & be happy & silly!I played video games with the kids(there were at least 4 games that had CEC listed in the top 10)....lol Kids would challenge me & if they won they got 10 free tokens.(Wasn't easy playing with those big gloved hands & having to look out the mouth!)

My least favorite job was working at a machine shop.I was supposed to be learning a trade.Instead I spent more time doing cleanup & yard work around the shop & the owner's home than I did learning anything.The only machine I learned to use was the threader for threading rods.I think i got pretty good but even then he was never happy.I could do things exactly as I was shown & he'd still complain.The only times I ever saw that man smile was when he was talking to a customer!

10. Jan 28, 2019 #10

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I shied away from making the strip club DJ the best or worse because it was both at various times (as one might imagine).

11. Jan 29, 2019 #11

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

WORST JOB
    My worst job ever was being a computer programmer for a bank in Auckland.

BEST JOB
    My best job ever is what I do now. I found myself unemployed a couple of years ago. So, I went self-employed and created my own work portfolio, which I still pursue even though I'm now officially retired. I do some work as a senior plus size menswear model. I do some work as a Santa Claus, including traditional Santa gigs for the little children, raunchy Santa gigs for the not so little children and Santa strippagrams. I also do some language teaching and coaching, including French. Sanskrit and Biblical languages. And I'm happy, happy, happy!