Quantcast

Breaking Chairs??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

StickMan

Two-Dimentional Character
Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed that breaking chairs by sitting in them was something many people under 100 pounds had to worry about much.
Y'know, you'd like to think that, wouldn't you? But I have, flying in the face of all logic. Granted, it was a rickety, crappy old chair, and apparently a rather large classmate of mine had sat in it rather forcefully before I did, but still! The fact remains that I, all 116 lbs of me, broke a chair by sitting in it.

LovelyLiz

Y'know, you'd like to think that, wouldn't you? But I have, flying in the face of all logic. Granted, it was a rickety, crappy old chair, and apparently a rather large classmate of mine had sat in it rather forcefully before I did, but still! The fact remains that I, all 116 lbs of me, broke a chair by sitting in it.
And that kind of sharing, about you sitting in a chair and breaking it, would be very acceptable in a thread about people sitting in chairs and breaking them. :D

FatAndProud

I need to show this thread to my mom. I always get blamed for when her furniture starts to give out. We're both fat. She watches me as I sit down on the furniture lol I try not to 'slam' down on the furniture, but just maneuvering the furniture can cause the furniture to slowly break down. I'm fat, it takes a second to get comfy lol

My brother, who is thin, also blames me for furniture breaking lol I DON'T EVEN LIVE AT MY MOM'S ANYMORE. Whatever. I think between my mom, my brother, and his gf/son that live with my mom - all to blame for the furniture. Common sense, right? Apparently, not. lol I just think shoddy furniture is the norm, now. My mom paid good money for her current furniture and screws and things are already coming out...I don't know...

Jello404

LMFAO that happens to me ALL OF THE TIME. but not in public as much as in the house,being that I sit in my chairs everyday I break a few a year.
I remember I broke a chair in subway once when i was really young.My friends were all 'omg ur so fat LOL' but they shrugged it off and I did too.I honestly dont give a damn. I make it a point to check the chair before I sit down after that.If it feel squeaky or non sturdy I'll find another seat or I wont sit at all.Sometimes when I go to friends houses I'm straight up about it. "Hey will this chair/bed break if I sit on it?" Ive learned sometimes its just best to chill on the floor.Saves the furniture lol.

At the end of the day it sucks that I break things with my weight-It can be very costly lol .Fat people break things.Its inevitable. The sooner I came to terms with that,the less embarrassing it became.Ive noticed that the people Im with are more embarrassed than I am when I break a chair or slip lol I dont have any shame.

anneblithe

I had an aunt who was heavy. I don't know how much she weighed exactly, but I would estimate 400 lbs or more. She was at a local establishment and tripped over some raised linoleum. She ended up losing the use of her legs from the knee down. As a result, I am very nervous about falling. I take extreme care when going out in the ice or on gravel. I think I'm at a lower risk for breaks than she was, but who would have thought a single fall would do so much damage to begin with?

mel

This is My year!..again:)
one time at my moms...she was having a yard sale and had oe of the old long brown tables that are used in breakrooms and stuff.. well it was old and I knew it..but I plopped myself up on it , right in the middle, and as I did..it broke. I laughed, my mom laughed...I was embarrased inside but what are ya going to do?? have to laugh.

I always try to be careful about where I sit my bum in public... I dont want to have to have people looking at me if that were to happen (chair). If in doubt, I sit sloooooowly lol or just dont sit at all.

Nose_body_knows

I broke a chair when I was in highschool. I have always been overweight. It was my own fault really, it was a plastic chair and I was leaning back balancing on only the one leg because I was bored, so it snapped. Can't say I have broken any in public since then, It made me alot more carefull of what I sit on and I am alot heaver these days.

Pitch

The only time I've come close to busting a chair was sitting on a chair that was kind of already broken. Once it started to fold I was out like lightening. So far? That's it. I was 328 and I'm 280 now, I really dont see how I haven't broken a chair yet. Baffles me.

Worse: I like sitting in booths and some restaurants just wont let me squeeze in. That's as far as my chair mortification has come. Damn those restaurant booths.

joey86

See this is why I love SSBBWs so much, i love the whole overpowering a chair with weight... hot hehe.

I would have no problem and would love to have to ask for a second chair for my big girl :p.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
See this is why I love SSBBWs so much, i love the whole overpowering a chair with weight... hot hehe.

I would have no problem and would love to have to ask for a second chair for my big girl :p.
A dream is what you are. :bow:

scoot

Just wondered how you all felt about this? I was out with a friend one night and we were in a bar. She was a little tipsy and got to carrying on and wiggling in her chair. Now mind you she weighs about 325pds or so. Well the chair broke and she hit the concrete!!! I was embarrassed for her! She acted like it didn't bother her. If that had been me I would have probably cried :( Tell me what you all think about this and has it ever happened to you.
Don't Uuu Cry-Eye tonight... My thoughts? Cool chick - no worries!!! :eat1:

runningman

I need to show this thread to my mom. I always get blamed for when her furniture starts to give out. We're both fat. She watches me as I sit down on the furniture lol I try not to 'slam' down on the furniture, but just maneuvering the furniture can cause the furniture to slowly break down. I'm fat, it takes a second to get comfy lol

My brother, who is thin, also blames me for furniture breaking lol I DON'T EVEN LIVE AT MY MOM'S ANYMORE. Whatever. I think between my mom, my brother, and his gf/son that live with my mom - all to blame for the furniture. Common sense, right? Apparently, not. lol I just think shoddy furniture is the norm, now. My mom paid good money for her current furniture and screws and things are already coming out...I don't know...
My chair is on its way out. I blame you. That is all. :p

GentleSavage

I don't bite too much...
I remember I was in a rehearsal once for a play earlier this year, and the blocking for this particular part required me to sit very angrily on a chair (like slam down on it basically) so I did. I slammed so hard that I continued right onto the floor. It oddly didn't hurt, and I didn't even say anything, I just kind of sat there, slowly getting red in the face.

Then the director said something along the lines of me over acting and destroying a perfectly good set piece. We all laughed, and then I got a new chair. I'm just glad it didn't happen during a performance! That would've been awful!

missy_blue_eyez

I have to this day broken 5 chairs and 2 beds, yes, thats right BEDS!

My most painful experience of this was in the kitchen at my old house. We had a very tiled smooth floor, and we were in the process of receiving a new dining table and chair set so my mom had moved our plastic garden furniture into the kitchen. I had asked my mom to colour the roots of my hair one day, so I sat on the plastic chair in the kitchen. As my mom was tugging at my head and I was squirming around in the chair I could feel the back legs of the plastic chair begin to start sliding. I tried to tell my mom but she was to busy in a panic about hurrying up getting the colour on my hair. Before I knew it I heard an all mighty crack, the back legs shot from underneath me and I hit the hard floor with such a thud I actually saw stars like they do in the cartoons.

It hurt so much, and I was in so much pain, but all my mom could go on about was how heavy I am and how its disgusting that I weigh so much that I cant even sit on her furniture (Bearing in mind, shes not so small herself at a UK size 18).

I know that when it comes to those plastic garden chairs I haven't got a hope in hell, I usually can't even get my arse in them to start with so that pretty much helps with having to go through the embarassment of then breaking it.

I have broken 2 beds, 1 metal framed one which I sat on one day and the leg just had it and it gave up and died a death. And my current bed at the moment I have pretty much obliterated all of the flimsy wooden slats that hold the mattress so now I have to go to bed and kinda balance myself between certain areas. (Really need to get me a new one sorted)!

I used to get majorly embarassed about it, but now I kinda just take it on the chin. Theres so much furniture I don't fit in or on anymore, seatbelts that are guaranteed not to clip me because my belly is too big, airplane seats which I cant squeeze myself into. Its just another one of those trials and tribulations of being a fatty.

PhillyAnj

One of my most embarrassing work situations ever was breaking the (plastic) leg of a desk chair. I didn't get hurt, but I squealed a bit over the shock of it. The person I shared the office with at the time was quick to run over and ask me if I was OK. Just the fact that there was a witness made it all the worse. I ordered a "heavy duty" chair after this incident and was once again embarrassed as our station engineer and resident handyman put the new chair together in the middle of our lobby and created a huge spectacle as he laid out all the pieces and huffed and puffed about the one thing or another. Every colleague that walked by asked about the chair and got an earful about the chair. Lesson learned: steel legged office chairs only for me.

Has anyone ever had a Cracker Barrel chair give out on them? We only go once or twice a year for a big piggy breakfast extravaganza using the gift card my mother gives us every year for Christmas. Every time I'm there I'm conscious of the creakiness of the chairs that seem to say a million other fatties have sat in them. That plus their seemingly dangerous design with legs angled out just feels like a disaster waiting to happen. I am never completely comfortable when I'm at C.B.
I never worried about Cracker Barrel chairs...til now. LOL I have broken a few chairs, more than a few toilet seats, a seat on my old couch (I was acting stupid!), and probably other things I can't think of right now. I'm fat. Shit breaks. LOL

PhillyAnj

Oh yeah, I have broken two work chairs. AND 2 weekends ago, I was on one of those lounge chairs with plastic straps (my sis swore these were the best kind), the chair straps were blue when I sat down. When I got up, all the straps under my butt were almost white. While the chair didn't break, it will never be the same again. It must have been defective ;)

Latest posts