Can you be fat and fit?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

glutton

Thanks so much for that...perhaps more people will now realise that it is possible to be fat and healthy. :)

bigmac

There is no simple answer -- other than it depends.

At the most basic level fat (but not extremely fat) people live longer than thin people. So if fitness is equated with longevity the answer is definitely yes.

However, if you equate fitness with athletic performance fat people don't do so well.

If you equate fitness with vital signs and blood chemistry its a mixed bag. Some fat people have perfect blood pressure, and blood chemistry (my wife and I fall into this fortunate category). Other fat people are not so lucky and would benefit from loosing at least a little weight (i.e. many diabetics improve greatly when they loose just a little weight).

There are also people who are pathologically obese (i.e. women with lipedema -- my wife is in this category as well) who have no choice but to be "obese" (i.e. diets and even WLS will not be effective).

The real world is always more complicated than that of afternoon TV.

Cynthia

I found this eight-minute talk by HAES advocate Julie Rochefort on Facebook's "Health at Every Size" page (which is a really enlightening forum, by the way). She's a Registered Dietition who puts statistics in a new perspective.

Her message is a reminder for us to not to allow a thin-centric society to rob us of self determination. Depending on our habits, physiology, genetics, etc., people who are fat can indeed achieve some degree of good health. Numbers on a scale should not invalidate all of the positive behavioral work that we can do in our daily lives right now, regardless of size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V9aQUWeu7ag

wrestlingguy

"Bitter Old Man"
Agreeed, Cynthia. Ongoing research is showing that fat and fit are not mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately, our world is not tuned into what science is showing these days, with the end result being the continuation of fat prejudices. That said, fat people should not buy into the contention of the ignorant who think that all people who are fat must lay around all day doing nothing but eating.

To that end, I also would like you to see Ms. LuAyne Barber, who will be appearing on an episode of Dr. Oz (if it hasn't aired already). Ms. Barber wears a size 22, and is a pole dancer who has won several competitions.

Here's a link to one of her videos.

KittyKitten

Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy
Yes!!!!! I consider myself fit and thick. I walk 2 miles three times a week and I do strength training (squats, crunches, shoulder raises, biceps curls, etc). I don't care that I would never be a single digit size, LOL, but I feel that I am firm and thick. Wouldn't mind if the belly was flatter, but that's ok. If you tap my thighs, nothing jiggles.

imfree

In Remembrance
Agreeed, Cynthia. Ongoing research is showing that fat and fit are not mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately, our world is not tuned into what science is showing these days, with the end result being the continuation of fat prejudices. That said, fat people should not buy into the contention of the ignorant who think that all people who are fat must lay around all day doing nothing but eating.

To that end, I also would like you to see Ms. LuAyne Barber, who will be appearing on an episode of Dr. Oz (if it hasn't aired already). Ms. Barber wears a size 22, and is a pole dancer who has won several competitions.

Here's a link to one of her videos.
The sickening irony of those haters', whose comments are below Lulu's video, is that most of them probably aren't as aerobically fit as Lulu, yet they think they have the right to judge her because she weighs more than they think she should!

BellaBelle

Dr. Oz went head to head with Dr. Gaesser recently on the subject. Dr. Oz comes off like some sort of pitch man toadie. There are 4 parts.

http://www.doctoroz.com/search?q1=dr+gaesser
I do think it is possible to be fat and fit. When I weighed 200-220 I ran about 2 miles a day and I really enjoyed doing cardio and Tae Bo classes. A few years later at 287 and I am not as active (thanks to my "grown up" desk job) but I still hike up the steps to my thrid floor apartment faster than my friends that go to the gym 4-5 times a week and they say I eat healthy as well. I know that fat and fit are not opposites because skinny and healthy doesn't mean the same either. It depends on the person and their health.

Jeeshcristina

Being fat and fit is entirely possible. At my most recent checkup, my doctor mentioned that my cholesterol, blood pressure, and overall health were better than his. I play tennis a few times a week, live on a third floor apartment that I can get to without getting winded, and walk several miles a week for school. I work out and love to go hiking. It takes an active effort to eat well and to not be sedentary. I'm all for plopping down on the couch with a pizza and going to town as much as the next person, but I have a pretty fast paced lifestyle, so I keep moving. I can't lie, sometimes I feel a little strain on my lower back from the chub, but overall, it's nothing I can't deal with. If I want a tub of ice cream, I reach for fro yo instead. I'll still probably eat the whole thing, but that's life.

Anyone can be fit, regardless of their size. They may not be running marathons or winning gold medals, but they can still be perfectly happy and active.

bigmac

Anyone can be fit, regardless of their size. They may not be running marathons or winning gold medals, but they can still be perfectly happy and active.

I'm going to have to disagree. While lots of fat people can and are fit and active there are also many who are not -- and cannot be at their size. At some point being fat will interfere with being fit. Many fat people never reach that point and can indeed go through life both fat and fit. However, many others, for a variety of reasons, find themselves at a weight where its virtually impossible to be objectively fit.

People who find themselves in this later category can indeed take steps to improve their mobility and activity level. So maybe we should say that people can participate in at least some level of physical activity at any size. However, it would be misleading to describe this as being fit.

Jeeshcristina

I'm going to have to disagree. While lots of fat people can and are fit and active there are also many who are not -- and cannot be at their size. At some point being fat will interfere with being fit. Many fat people never reach that point and can indeed go through life both fat and fit. However, many others, for a variety of reasons, find themselves at a weight where its virtually impossible to be objectively fit.

People who find themselves in this later category can indeed take steps to improve their mobility and activity level. So maybe we should say that people can participate in at least some level of physical activity at any size. However, it would be misleading to describe this as being fit.
You're right, at some point size can impede being fit.
I think I was going more in the direction that that just because you're fat, you're not needing to be crane lifted out of your home. While there are extreme cases, the majority of fat and overweight people do manage fairly normal lifestyles. The problem I get is that many people associate being "fit" with weight loss, and looking toned and muscular, which many of us are not going for. You're right that being fit is relative, and different for everyone.
I should have stated the context in which I was talking about being "fit."

bbwbud

Being fat and fit is entirely possible. At my most recent checkup, my doctor mentioned that my cholesterol, blood pressure, and overall health were better than his. I play tennis a few times a week, live on a third floor apartment that I can get to without getting winded, and walk several miles a week for school. I work out and love to go hiking. It takes an active effort to eat well and to not be sedentary. I'm all for plopping down on the couch with a pizza and going to town as much as the next person, but I have a pretty fast paced lifestyle, so I keep moving. I can't lie, sometimes I feel a little strain on my lower back from the chub, but overall, it's nothing I can't deal with. If I want a tub of ice cream, I reach for fro yo instead. I'll still probably eat the whole thing, but that's life.

I agree, Every time I step on the Wii fit board, the little voice says, "That's Obese", and if I visiualized someone at my height and weight, I would think they would look fatter than I do at 5'7" and 220 and being in my 50's. But I can walk several miles at a clip, and play sports against people young enough to be my kids. The trick is to stay active, and mobile. I like to say with a smile that I am the same height and weight as someone like Emmitt Smith (without his level of muscle and thighs the size of some people's waists), but I can still get around. You can be fat and fit, but you can't be sedentary and fit, no matter what your size.

bigmac

You're right, at some point size can impede being fit.

I think I was going more in the direction that that just because you're fat, you're not needing to be crane lifted out of your home. While there are extreme cases, the majority of fat and overweight people do manage fairly normal lifestyles. The problem I get is that many people associate being "fit" with weight loss, and looking toned and muscular, which many of us are not going for. You're right that being fit is relative, and different for everyone.
I agree -- most fat people fall into the moderately fat category -- its totally possible for such people to live active healthy lives (i.e. be truly fit). Your second point is also well taken -- indeed focusing on weight loss can actually make a person less fit (e.g. loss of muscle mass and decreased metabolism).

I've always thought it best to eat well (good food actually tastes a lot better than processed junk), be as active as you can, and don't even think about your weight unless you really have to.

MissAshley

Enigma
I am reading about this debate more and more in mainstream media. I even saw it in a recent Glamour magazine article, with a quote from Linda Bacon.

I think it's entirely possible to be fit and fat. Of course, as already stated, there does come a point where if fat is greater in mass than muscle, that's where one couldn't do as much activity as they would be able to if they had shed that extra weight.

Latest posts