Christmas Picmas!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

bayone

My cousin, who runs a Pet smart and lives in a farmhouse with something like four dogs and six cats*, brought two of her dogs to her brother's for Christmas Eve. One of the two was this behemoth, named Mabel. Oh, and my small cousins were generally cute and well-behaved.

*Apparently she tried keeping two pet pigs for a while, but they were far too clever and any time she was away from home for more than a few hours would gnaw through or jump over the fence, and head up the road to go raid her neighbours' vegetables.

View attachment mabel_xmas2015.JPG

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
*Apparently she tried keeping two pet pigs for a while, but they were far too clever and any time she was away from home for more than a few hours would gnaw through or jump over the fence, and head up the road to go raid her neighbours' vegetables.
I read an account of a farmer who took his sow to the next farm down the road to be bred. All the gates on his farm were opened by lifting a latch -- including the gate to the pigpen (this may have been a mistake). The next time his sow came into season, he saw her nudge the latch open, leave her pen, and close the gate behind her. He followed her...out the farm gate (which she then closed)...down the road to the neighbor's farm ... and into the boar's pen (which also latched, and which she demurely closed behind her).

GoodDaySir

I read an account of a farmer who took his sow to the next farm down the road to be bred. All the gates on his farm were opened by lifting a latch -- including the gate to the pigpen (this may have been a mistake). The next time his sow came into season, he saw her nudge the latch open, leave her pen, and close the gate behind her. He followed her...out the farm gate (which she then closed)...down the road to the neighbor's farm ... and into the boar's pen (which also latched, and which she demurely closed behind her).
i love intelligent farm animal stories. when i was young, my family had 2 goats and man, were they smart but also really stupid! In the barn, we had an old fridge laid down and we used it to store a bag of grain. Every evening the goats got their share of sweet grain and they looooved it. Pretty soon they had figured out how to open the fridge and Pa had to put a latch on it. So he used a simple hook latch, thinking that since they didnt have hands, the goats wouldnt be able to open it. He was wrong, they figure it out. Then he decided to use something more complicated- a bolt and nut. He thought there was no way they would be able to spin the nut off the bolt... but they did! They used their mouths!! That time, they ate almost the whole bag of grain and they were sick. One goat couldnt even move, she was so stuffed. Pa finally said Thats it! And he put a combination lock on the fridge! And just to be EXTRA safe about it, he never let the goats see the combination! :p

I had a lot of different pets growing up- a horse, chickens, rabbits, dogs and cats, but the goats were definitely the most entertaining! I miss them!

Tad

mostly harmless
These were actually taken about a week before Christmas. My brother was up visiting my parents, and brought his new kitten along because it was too young to be left alone.

I got down on the floor to take pictures of it, and right on cue it got all adorable. (eta: go through the pictures in order to get the full effect)

Group builder