• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Customer Service: I'm not paid to listen to this!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
Tonight, I stopped by one of my favorite restaurants here in the town where I live. I phone in orders often enough to have their number programmed into my cell. My daughter went in to pick up the turkey sub sandwich I had ordered and when she returned with my change, I was surprised to find that the restaurant is now charging a "10% gratuity charge on all to-go orders".
I was surprised- a gratuity charge to walk the order to the register and take my money- I'm supposed to tip for that? My first impulse was simply not to ever go back- and it wouldn't surprise me if some other customers decided to do the same.
However, I like the food there...and have been frequenting that establishment for 15+ years. I got out my cell phone and hit the programmed number to ask why this has occurred. A lady answered the phone and I asked to speak with an owner or a manager. She informed me that she was the manager.

I asked about the 10% gratuity....wondering why I should pay it when no one waited on me. No dishes to wash or table to clear, no one refilled my drink or had to walk my food to a table. Just give me the food in a disposable container and take my money. Seems like the job of a hostess or cashier to me.

The manager said that this was just something new that the owner started- and that she would give me my money back. I said that I wanted the food- but felt like someone should be able to explain exactly what a gratuity was required for. She told me that the charge was just 85 cents and that she is not paid to listen to "this". :blink: :confused:

Listen to what? A complaint? A question about a new charge that a long established restaurant just recently started charging? The manager didn't expect any complaints or questions over it??? I hadn't cursed or personally attacked her in any way nor had I berated anyone....was simply surprised that they tacked an extra charge and I want to know how it is justified.

Surprised, I said that I had thought that she said she was the manager. She said again that she was. I told her that in my experience, managers DO listen to complaints. She offered to give me money back again. I told her that I prefer that the owner call me and that I didn't think it wise to blow off a long time customer, repeatedly offering to give money back, insinuating that the complain was over a ridiculous 85 cents (I asked if it's only 85 cents, then why doesn't the owner pay his employees the 85 cents himself) and let them never return instead of resolving the complaint. Does the owner want to lose a long time, loyal customer over 85 cents?

I don't think I'm wrong...but I'm open to opinions. Aren't managers supposed to listen to complaints and offer solutions anymore? Couldn't she have at least been polite and simply explained it was a decision made by the owner but she would be happy to pass on my dissatisfaction to him?

She backed up after I made my points to her and she took my name and number. The owner will not be in tomorrow but is supposed to call me on Thursday. I plan on letting the owner know how the manager stated she is not paid to listen to my complaint and was all too willing to blow off a long time customer instead of making any attempt to explain or resolve my unhappiness when I obviously wanted to keep buying food from there.

Could I have handled this a better way? Or should I simply just not go back to a favorite restaurant next time?

Latest posts

Back