Dogs with Anxiety......issues

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I doubt I am alone in this....My adopted Pomeranian has *ISSUES*

He suffers from medium anxiety, I call it nerfing...it is whining kinda...just him wanting out....he is also a barker and very very protective of ME!!!
otherwise a great dane trapped in under 20# body ..

I tried the *thundershirt* as a friend has a boxer that freaks out with thunder....and wrapping your dog in tight clothing is supposed to be comforting, more like the womb.....it did nothing for Hercules.

anyone else....

lille

I've heard that the best thing for a dog with anxiety is to do your best to keep them on a really consistent schedule. My friend rescued a poodle that was a nervous wreck and it's like she's a completely different dog now.

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena
You can also try medicating him. Prozac is commonly used in dogs and cats to treat anxiety issues. My cat has been on Prozac for almost a year for anxiety, and he is so much better. He's still got some separation anxiety issues, but he's stopped a lot of the really negative behaviors, like spraying and yowling constantly. You can get it as a pill, a capsule or a liquid. The pill is probably the cheapest form, but it's really bitter.

Donna

wait...what?
Pomeranians are born barkers; the only thing that helped my Sassy was behavioral training. She's still yappy, but just not as frustratingly so. I have always heard Chihuahuas were high strung (and for the most part they are--I have two,) but my Pom makes them seem laid back. I agree with lille, consistent schedule. I'm OCD myself, so I guess it's no surprise my dogs are high strung.

Here's my little Pom Princess in a relaxed state:

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
Pomeranians are born barkers; the only thing that helped my Sassy was behavioral training. She's still yappy, but just not as frustratingly so. I have always heard Chihuahuas were high strung (and for the most part they are--I have two,) but my Pom makes them seem laid back. I agree with lille, consistent schedule. I'm OCD myself, so I guess it's no surprise my dogs are high strung.

Here's my little Pom Princess in a relaxed state:
Sassy.....awwww what a cutie...my POM is CAMERA PHOBIC...he just knows when I am about to shoot...i have very very few photos of him head on :(

as for consistency he has that completely....we did a little behavioral training....and It stopped working/i stopped...a mixture...time for a renewal I believe