'fat cats' in Canada?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tad

mostly harmless
According to a study referenced in the article linked below, in Canada more high income men were obese than lower income men. This goes against some previous data and stereotypes of more lower income people being fat. Also lines up with the old notion of the wealthy 'fat-cat' I guess (they did not observe this effect amongst women).

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/12/17/overweight-income.html

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
Hahaha....read some of the article comments. I liked this one: "I'd rather be a fat rich guy than some penniless rail-thin hippie."

Anyway, assuming the study is valid, this is definitely a sexy trend. I'd love for Toronto to become overpopulated with rich, fat men. I'm off the market, but you know, I'm a giver to all those single FFAs ;)

The trend totally makes sense, too (the article author doesn't seem to understand it, though). If I was a rich man, I'd eat whatever the hell indulgent, delicious food I wanted ALL THE TIME, would drive around in a hot Mercedes, would have the most amazing home entertainment set-up imaginable....and I would be totally fat and leisurely. Sounds like the perfect life.

fat hiker

According to a study referenced in the article linked below, in Canada more high income men were obese than lower income men. This goes against some previous data and stereotypes of more lower income people being fat. Also lines up with the old notion of the wealthy 'fat-cat' I guess (they did not observe this effect amongst women).

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/12/17/overweight-income.html
Ah, Canada - back to the future, as always! ;-)

Or is it just a case of 'a little extra fat for the long cold winter - why not'. Personally, I'm met a lot of men in Canada who, like me, seem to have a distinct 'bear' side to their personalities - and who wants a skinny bear, anyway?

Starling

Sweet...my two favorite things in a man...rich and fat! Now I just have to go to Canada :)

djudex

I'm out
I was fat when I was poor and I'm fat now that I'm better off so nuts to that study. :eat1:

AZ_Wolf

Lupus Maximus
It seems to make some sense to me.

I've never been to Canada, but when I've traveled overseas I've been to a climate every bit equal. I've been to Russia once (St. Petersburg) and Ukraine three times.

Three of the trips were for 2 weeks and one was for 6 weeks. I never lost fewer than 10 pounds and on my 6 week trip I lost 18 pounds. I ate everything I wanted, as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted. But the climate was just so cold that it obviously burned more calories just to keep me going around town, staying warm, and so on.

I never stopped being amazed at eating (and sometimes drinking) in that way and having my clothes hang off me when I returned home.

So I think in that light, you have to be richer to stay really fat in Canada to overcome the climatic resistance. :D You have to be in a very nice home, and have a very cushy routine without much walking or exposure to the weather, and still be able to eat all you want.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
They're all married to thin attractive gold-diggers who aren't FFAs. Poor saps. :rolleyes:

pani

Just one more reason I really want to move to Canada!

Esther

Queen Black Acid
Canada isn't all that cold, haha. Besides the extreme northern regions, Canadians in most regions enjoy beautiful summers and springs. Most areas of Canada do get harsh winters such as those in Russia, but most parts of Canada have distinct spring and autumn seasons, which I hear most of Russia does not. (Summer and Winter are dominant seasons there.) Our climates aren't exactly equal.
I just find it odd how Canada is always referred to as a perpetually frigid country when we enjoy sweltering summer months.

It seems to make some sense to me.

I've never been to Canada, but when I've traveled overseas I've been to a climate every bit equal. I've been to Russia once (St. Petersburg) and Ukraine three times.

Three of the trips were for 2 weeks and one was for 6 weeks. I never lost fewer than 10 pounds and on my 6 week trip I lost 18 pounds. I ate everything I wanted, as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted. But the climate was just so cold that it obviously burned more calories just to keep me going around town, staying warm, and so on.

I never stopped being amazed at eating (and sometimes drinking) in that way and having my clothes hang off me when I returned home.

So I think in that light, you have to be richer to stay really fat in Canada to overcome the climatic resistance. :D You have to be in a very nice home, and have a very cushy routine without much walking or exposure to the weather, and still be able to eat all you want.

Group builder